Author Topic: Paper Birch Bark For a Bow Backing  (Read 6441 times)

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Paper Birch Bark For a Bow Backing
« on: February 20, 2008, 01:40:32 am »
Has anyone tried to use Paper Birch Bark for a Bow Backing?? I was just wondering if it would work like Cherry Bark does....let me know Guys....I am always wanting to experiment with something new...and this would be cool....how bout it Dana....have you thought about it...or tried it??
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Paper Birch Bark For a Bow Backing
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 01:43:38 am »
I've used it as a decorative backing.  I did use some over a sinew back not only for the decorative effects but also to help waterproof it.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DanaM

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 09:25:53 am »
yankee I used it on this bow for my niece, looks real nice I used it over linen but I don't think I needed to. I will be getting somemore this summer,
you have to take it from the circumference of the tree not vertically

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 01:27:54 pm by DanaM »
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 10:11:33 am »
A sinew backed Yellow Birch recurve I made several years ago that has a decorative bark backing.

Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 11:02:39 am »
I also made a bow with birch bark backing, again decorative, looks nice, just like Dana's bow that he made.I'd post pics but they don't really show the bark.
VB

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008, 02:56:00 pm »
PatB gave me some birch bark, but I haven't had the opportunity to use it yet. Let us know how it turns out! :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2008, 09:30:02 pm »
Thanks Guys ...they all look Sweet....and just what I was hoping them to look like too....>Dana I really like the slits you can see in the Bark on your Nieces Bow....do you have to strip all the Bark....or will it come off thick enough that you can use it....and still not kill the Tree?? Otherwise I will have to find me a Tree that I can Stave out...and take the Bark from it....I will not just kill a tree for the Bark....you know what I mean!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome