Author Topic: Some help finding ammo shells  (Read 3146 times)

Offline Ranasp

Some help finding ammo shells
« on: February 10, 2016, 05:30:58 pm »
Alright, so my day job is a picture framer, and sometimes I get some pretty interesting things to frame.  Right now I'm doing a large project involving a bunch of WWII memorabilia, and I'm a bit stuck trying to find out something, so I was hoping the fine people here might be able to clue me in. 

As a part of the project, I'm mounting bullet casings into five frames that are going to siblings.  Being siblings, even as adults it's better to have everything be as close to the same as possible, so it's not so good that they came up short for the casings.  I have a friend that shoots that gave me some of his, but they're a bit short so they won't match the other frames.  I'm not really into guns and ammo, so I don't know who to ask about finding four casings that match the ones in the pictures.  Preferably two of one type and two of the other, but honestly I'd be happy to get four of all one type since the difference isn't too bad compared to the casings I have on hand.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to get matching/close to matching casings?  I'm willing to pay for them and of course for shipping.

Offline Josh B

Re: Some help finding ammo shells
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2016, 06:15:32 pm »
Looks like the left one is a .308(7.62x51mm NATO) blank  and the right one is a 30-06. I have plenty of both (well except for the blank part)  and I'd be happy to send you some.  Let me know how many of which/each that you want.  Considering it's WWII era we are talking about, I would recommend the 30-06.  Josh
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 06:19:23 pm by Gun Doc »

Offline Josh B

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2016, 06:58:02 pm »
Something else to consider, the .308 wasn't developed until the early 50's.  To keep it period correct I have a lot of 8mm mauser casings that were used by Germany and some of their allies during WWII.  I could send you some of those as well as the 30-06 casings.  Just a thought. Josh

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2016, 07:07:35 pm »
The British 303 was used extensively in WW2
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline rover brewer

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2016, 08:57:36 pm »
seems like your covered if you go with 30-06 and I have some 303 depending on how many you need. that would give you 2 kinds and it would represent U.S and Brits. let me know.
john 3:16

Offline Ranasp

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2016, 12:19:43 pm »
Guys, you're all awesome! 

As far as historical accuracy, I don't think any of these bullet casings were actually from WWII, but from ceremonial firing. I definitely want spent bullets, since the unfired ones would look quite a bit different than all the other ones.  As long as they're close in size/look, then either two and two or all four being the same would work out great.  I'll of course show you how it looks when all framed up.

For those curious, here's one of the pieces roughly laid out in the pic below. 

Offline Josh B

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2016, 12:46:25 pm »
Pm me your addy and I'll send you some fired 30-06 casings as soon as I get home.  I will definitely be home next weekend and possibly this coming weekend if that will be soon enough for you.  Just let me know how many.  Josh

Offline bigwoods

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2016, 01:48:31 pm »
Check with your local VFW. Those are blanks used in the 21 gun salute at a fellow veterans funeral. I have a couple of the spent blanks from both grandfathers services.

Offline rover brewer

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2016, 06:23:00 am »
send me address and I'll send you the 303's and I don't believe they used crimped end for blanks in ww2 used wooden bullets and a piece that screwed on the barrel that sreaded the wood .
john 3:16

Offline JEB

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2016, 07:45:11 am »
Go to google and ask, "What weapons were used in WWII" and you will get the info on every weapon used by all involved in the war. That may help you find what type of artifacts you are looking for to complete your project.  Now if you were looking for WWI casings I have many with the date stamped on them.