Author Topic: MoJam 2016 - red oak BOARD bow challenge!  (Read 27089 times)

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
Re: MoJam 2016 - red oak BOARD bow challenge!
« Reply #60 on: March 03, 2016, 09:32:44 pm »
Ok guy's,  here it is. I know I'm going to catch a little heck for backing this bow with a hickory strip that Josh so graciously gave me. But I decided I needed a bow and not more kindling. I have broken 5 pieces of red oak up to this point. Number 6 seams to have came out pretty good so far. I finished up the tiller at Erics place last weekend and shot it a few times. Thanks Eric  for taking all the pictures.
It is 47#@27" and has a fairly surprising cast. I have put about 200 arrows through it this week. It has taken right at 2" of set.  I need to work on the tips and get the handle finished out. Then get all the sanding done and some finish on it. I'll shoot another 100 or so arrows through it as I get the arrow pass and handle finished up. Here is a few pictures.

Patrick

First brace, not bad huh?

Tillering, needs a little work yet...

Full draw, I've done some minor tweaking since this photo.

Follow through!

Results from first set of arrows. Believe it or not the very first shot was the bullseye! Went all the way through the target and hit the plywood back stop.

More shooting at my place.

Unbraced immediately after shooting for about 45 min. I'm at exactly 1/8th in positive tiller.
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #61 on: March 03, 2016, 10:47:31 pm »
Hickory backed red oak, huh? Sweeeet!
Full draw pic looks good. That'll likely be stiff competition at the pig shoot.
Hope it keeps on keepin' on, cause I know you'll make it into a looker too.
Congrats, Pat!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline make-n-break

« Reply #62 on: March 03, 2016, 10:48:00 pm »
Been looking for a good RO since this thread came up. No such luck. Did stumble across a lovely hickory that followed me home though. How bout a hickory board bow with red oak overlays??  ;D

Nice bow Pat!
"When making a bow from board staves you are freeing a thing of dignity from the humiliation of static servitude." -TBB1

Offline J05H

« Reply #63 on: March 03, 2016, 10:48:24 pm »
Looks pretty good to me buddy. To bad you had to cheat. ::) >:D ;)
If you never have time to do it right, you'll always have time to do it over.

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #64 on: March 03, 2016, 10:55:47 pm »
Thanks guy's! Sorry about that Josh. I just couldn't help myself.

Break,  there's a lot of red oak out there,  but I personally I've not seen one I would make a bow out of without a backing. Take that with a grain of salt I have broken 5 you know.

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #65 on: March 03, 2016, 11:31:06 pm »
How bout a hickory board bow with red oak overlays??  ;D

tsk tsk!
The search for proper candidate board is like finding a fine woman ... lots of the fun is in the search!   :-X
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 11:50:21 pm by Knoll »
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Online sleek

« Reply #66 on: March 03, 2016, 11:59:45 pm »
Only the boards dont get mad when you put themback on the shelf and reach for another rack....
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #67 on: March 28, 2016, 06:14:35 pm »
Finally got started on mine.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 06:31:33 pm by Knoll »

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #68 on: March 28, 2016, 08:27:10 pm »
Wow!
Never saw a carpeted marble work bench before. Nice..!

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #69 on: March 28, 2016, 10:44:48 pm »
Wow!
Never saw a carpeted marble work bench before. Nice..!
The Wife's outta town.   :-X

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #70 on: April 25, 2016, 03:39:14 pm »
Finally got started on my red oak board. 64" with obj of 40# @ 25". About 2" wide tapering slightly 1/3 way out, then bit more second 1/3, and then tapering to 1/2" tip.

Now have at 3" brace and 17" draw and about 42#.

Braced. Top limb is to the left.

Immediately after unbracing.

Profile.

Bit of set going on. Recommendations re tillering approach going forward is invited!

Offline JonW

« Reply #71 on: April 25, 2016, 05:32:15 pm »
Set looks even in both limbs. Tiller on. Maybe if you cut in a shelf you wouldn't need the glove >:D

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #72 on: April 25, 2016, 05:39:46 pm »
Looks pretty good Mike.
And shelves are for dishes...  ;)

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #73 on: April 25, 2016, 05:43:07 pm »
Was workin' in the garden immediately before The Wife took pic.
That's my story . . . . .

Offline Dvshunter

« Reply #74 on: April 25, 2016, 09:08:04 pm »
I've got a few boards and almost have my other projects wrapped up so what the hell, red oak here I come.
"There is a natural mystic blowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Robert Nesta Marley