Author Topic: MoJam 2016 - red oak BOARD bow challenge!  (Read 27059 times)

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
Re: MoJam 2016 - red oak BOARD bow challenge!
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2016, 10:12:10 pm »
I won't make it to mojam, but I might play along anyway and build one if I can find the time.
Tattoo Dave

Great! We'll find someone to shoot it!!!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2016, 02:52:53 pm »
It would be great to see some relatively new bowyers get in on this lil challenge. Heck, it's just for fun!
In that vein, thought may be useful to point at a couple board bow build alongs that could get ya on road to success.

Here's one authored by Bubby. He's building this board bow from maple, not red oak. But principles are same, though may wanna add couple inches to length if going for 50#. Dimensions in Bub's post are fine for 40-45# red oak board.
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,35312.0.html

And here's another that was helpful for me. http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=125;t=002064;p=0
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline JonW

« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2016, 05:31:53 pm »
I am totally striking out on finding a decent board at the box stores. I can though mill some Osage boards. Did I mention that my RO kinda looks like Osage?

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2016, 05:43:55 pm »
whine     whine      whine
 >:D

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2016, 05:57:27 pm »
I am totally striking out on finding a decent board at the box stores. I can though mill some Osage boards. Did I mention that my RO kinda looks like Osage?

Send me an address JonW.  I'll send you some AUTHENTIC Red Oak to work with so you can enjoy the full experience. >:D   >:D   >:D

OneBow

Offline Patches

« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2016, 11:42:28 am »
Got 2 red oak bows already started that need finishing and 4 more boards to make new ones if I screw up the first ones. Looking forward to this and what everybody comes up with.

Neal
"You are never a complete failure as long as you can be used as a bad example..."

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2016, 01:51:17 pm »
Hey Neil! Good to see you online buddy! I'll see if I am bringing firewood or a bow to mojam. But I'll have some red oak there one way or the other.
Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2016, 12:53:51 am »
I done a little work on my red oak this afternoon. Got it laied out, cut out and thickness tapered. I glued on a spalted blackjack oak riser to,  figured since it was in the red oak family it would be kosher! Going to put blackjack overlays on to.

Patrick

« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 02:12:00 am by lebhuntfish »

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2016, 10:10:54 am »
That spalted BlackJack should be very pretty on your RO bow Patrick.  It should finish up just lovely under some TruOil!

OneBow

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2016, 10:13:33 am »
Thanks Eric, I'm just hoping it makes it that far.  But your right, that blackjack does look good under some Tru oil!

Patrick

Offline J05H

« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2016, 07:17:24 am »
Is it too late to get in on this? I just spent about a week and a half recovering from an appendectomy and I'm itchin' for somethin' to do. Don't think I'm quite up to using a draw knife yet, so my trade bow is on hold, but I can do a board bow.
If you never have time to do it right, you'll always have time to do it over.

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2016, 07:23:49 am »
I say go for it Josh! I'm glad you're feeling better buddy!

Patrick

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2016, 09:59:09 am »
appendectomy! Hope ya heal quickly. Will be great to see your red oak project.

Offline sleek

« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2016, 10:02:22 am »
Dude, it took me months to recover from mine. Sorry you had to go through that and glad your feeling better!
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline J05H

« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2016, 10:31:57 am »
Thanks guys. The surgery wasn't as bad as I was expecting. I'm to the point that I feel pretty much normal until I turn or stretch just right. Then I get a not so friendly reminder to take it easy.

Anyway, I'm gonna go searching for a board real soon. I'm not gonna get to creative on this one. Just a simple flatbow, something I've had previous success with. Is there any kind of target weight for this contest, or is just whatever I want to shoot? Also, for curiosity's sake, what about hickory backed red oak? The first page does say any backing except fg, but I kind of feel like hickory is pushing it a bit.
If you never have time to do it right, you'll always have time to do it over.