Author Topic: A new Project Finished Pics  (Read 16221 times)

Offline DanaM

A new Project Finished Pics
« on: February 19, 2008, 06:38:49 pm »
This is that gnarly chunk of elm I was working on, I managed to get a shooter out of it, not without a fight
but we negotiated a truce with each other. I heated and clamped this stave about 9 times. You can see the dents
that I put in the back removing twist forgot to pad the jaws of a cresent wrench I used ::). Yes the lower limb is shorter
due to where I placed the grip, but thats where it shoots the best so I wasn't gonna argue with her. I have 500 arrows thru
her and she shows no sign of failing and shoots pretty nice for a crooked, gnarly old stick. I didn't get carried away with sanding and
finishing, so she has a few battle scars, finished her off with charcoal and pig fat(lard)
She may not compare with some of the gussied up pretty ladies ya see around here but in my eyes shes a beauty, just have to look past the surface
and see what on the inside ;D

Her vital statistics:
47#@26" 57" NTN 1.5" at grip  Mass is 18.25oz

Badger if ya see this please calculate the mass, I think she's bit fat :o

Still haven't decided on a name, I usually don't name a bow but this little lady deserves one. Suggestions are welcome.

[attachment deleted by admin]
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline DanaM

Re: A new Project Finished Pics
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 06:39:56 pm »
 The full draw pics and a Pileated woodpecker ;D

[attachment deleted by admin]
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Jesse

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 06:57:20 pm »
I cant believe you made that ugly stave into a nice bow like that. Great job
Did that woodpecker carve it for ya? If so name it peckerwood :D :D :D :D :D :D :D.
  Jesse
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Dano

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 06:57:55 pm »
Fine lookin bow Dana.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline DanaM

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 06:59:46 pm »
Ugly :o I'm shocked you wood say that about a lady Jesse ;)

Thanks Dano, it was a fun project.

Manistique, MI

Offline Badger

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2008, 07:48:44 pm »
Dana, I love bows like that. They make great dependable shooters. As far as mass goes sometimes on a character stave I just throw the mass thing out the window. But if you were to figure it. I would figure it at 53# @ 28". For a hunting bow always good to give a couple inches safety margin on the draw, I can't tell how much the handle is actuall bending but about 12 or 13 oz is what the formula would allow. D bows are by far the lowest mass bows as well as elbs. If building a d bow by the mass formula it will almost always come out more like an elb. I have built several elm bendy handle bows in the 50# class and most of them are about 1" wide when finsihed. Still a nice bow you have there. Steve

Offline DanaM

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2008, 07:56:20 pm »
Thanks steve for the input, still trying to get a handle on your mass formula, I'm using it
on all my bows now, but its going to take some experience to get a good grasp of it.
The handle is bending a fair amount but the stave has a pretty good deflex in that area so
it may appear to be bending more than it is. This is my first bendy handle bow and I like it ;D

Manistique, MI

jamie

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2008, 07:56:33 pm »
nice job dana love those nocks

Offline DanaM

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2008, 07:58:34 pm »
Figured you would jamie :) Inspired by the bow you sent me, which I still plan on using
come Oct 1st, hopefully I will take my firsy selfbow deer with it ;D

Manistique, MI

Offline david w.

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2008, 08:02:03 pm »
Great bow, love it.
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2008, 09:12:19 pm »
That turned out nice Dana! I like those nocks too - going into my files fer later ;D. See you still got the white stuff coming down :P :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2008, 09:19:48 pm »
Barely a dusting of snow Paul ;) Thanks eh.

Manistique, MI

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2008, 10:06:32 pm »
Dang Dana, it sure is pretty.  It has a nice smooth arc to it.  I love simple bows. Those nocks look nice.
OH yeah, I checked the chemistry on my pool today.  It was 68*, I gotta get that pool going.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2008, 10:12:13 pm »
  Cool looking bow Dana. That stave sure was narly.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2008, 10:30:32 pm »
Might as welll name it Gnarly :P
Great Tiller! Bookmarked for Feb Self Bow for sure.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday