Author Topic: Bowstring help  (Read 4549 times)

Offline DC

Bowstring help
« on: January 30, 2016, 07:44:03 pm »
I have to start breaking my string making into pieces and asking your advice. If you look at the picture you can see I've just closed the loop and my tails are 5" long. Are they long enough?  It's fast Flight.

Offline RyanR

Re: Bowstring help
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2016, 07:48:36 pm »
It will should work. I make my loop at 7-1/2" and sometimes adjust slightly to change the length.

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2016, 08:44:05 pm »
That's about what I've always done, no problems.
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2016, 09:27:54 pm »
More than enough Don

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2016, 10:14:33 pm »
Thanks guys

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2016, 12:30:19 am »
They are plenty long enough. Now, separate the two tags and add one to each strand and begin to twist into the string.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2016, 09:21:45 am »
The strands need to be matched and not crossed over.
When I tie a string with the same color I usually put a few marks with a magic marker the last 10 inches or so.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline DC

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2016, 01:31:22 pm »
I've wondered about this. I always use one color cause I'm too cheap to buy two rolls :) Can you give me a "why" on this. I can't imagine a reason but then I don't have much of an imagination. What will happens if I "cross the strings"

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2016, 02:29:49 pm »
I usually use 2 colors and cross them over at the loop fro the back splice because I like the pattern it makes. I don't know if it is right or wrong but I've never had problems with it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PatM

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2016, 02:36:09 pm »
I've wondered about this. I always use one color cause I'm too cheap to buy two rolls :) Can you give me a "why" on this. I can't imagine a reason but then I don't have much of an imagination. What will happens if I "cross the strings"

Makes no difference and crossing them over is actually a more natural continuation of the countertwist to form the loop. Trying to NOT cross them over makes the first part of the blend more awkward. Once you get it started it's fine though.

Offline DC

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2016, 03:39:18 pm »
Thanks. I managed to make one the right length last night. I find that when I string the bow the first time the brace height drops about an inch or so and the loops get bigger. I'm guessing this is the twist tightening up under strain. Does that sound about normal? I'm wondering if I'm twisting it tight enough?

Offline PatM

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2016, 03:53:54 pm »
 They do have to settle a bit under tension. Make your actual loops a few twists smaller the next time. Can you take a pic of a few spots down the length of the string? Finished loops, blended section and center?

Offline DC

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2016, 04:03:12 pm »
Here ya go. Hope this is what you need. Last time I made the loops as small as I could and still get them on the bow. They seem to stretch out about right. I used 10 strands of Fast Flight.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2016, 10:29:58 pm »
I was taught to match the colors by a pro string maker years ago. The one where I did not, he unraveled and retied it.
That method has served me well. For grins and giggles I'll unmatch the next string I tie and compare.

I do not think it will splice in as neatly.
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline PatM

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2016, 10:54:35 pm »
It will make no difference except visually if the colors are different,  Jawge. It actually boils down to where you are on your countertwist as you form the loop.   Each time you twist to extend your potential loop length the tails will match and then mismatch  for each turn. 
 I was inaccurate in saying it was easier  to just cross them over. I meant that it is easier than noticing they don't match and trying to place them correctly without just adding one more twist. Backtracking to do that results in a tension loss.
 Five minutes with a few bundles will show you this.