Author Topic: Arrow shaft maker/time saver  (Read 11856 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Arrow shaft maker/time saver
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2016, 12:29:57 pm »
Walnut suits me real good and I'm on the search for some ash heartwood as there is a slight diff in that stuff to the sapwood.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Lumberman

« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2016, 01:08:27 pm »
Sweet  yeah the white oak does tend to a bit heavier and stronger (also known as denser lol) mine are at 5/16, but a spinometer have I not

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2016, 08:36:10 am »
A few walnut shafts that suit me.They are barreled a bit.23/64" to 5/16".Heartwood and combo heartwood and sapwood.Canada goose and turkey feathers.Self nocked wrapped with silk and super glued.These shoot off different bows of mine and will be my hunting weight arrows too.So no deviation of weight & spine between targeting with friends and hunting.Some douglas fir and bamboo here fill the bill too.Most fly like darts but not all.They do hit where I'm looking first though at 20 yards.Guess I'm ready for the zombies to come...lol.

BowEd
Ed

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2016, 09:27:15 am »
Bud, those look nice!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Lumberman

« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2016, 10:09:59 am »
Looking awesome! How long do the fletching a usually take ya?

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2016, 08:35:15 am »
With ducco it's usually about 30 to 45 minutes between arrow shafts.Do them while watching TV in the evening.I've gone to making them 4.5" long now.I have an Arizona fletcher I use.A burner too.Goose feathers are good but not as stiff as turkey.They are somewhat waterproof though.
What are you up to fellas with your shafts there?
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2016, 08:38:30 am »
Oh you fellas use a sizer too.I'd be lost without mine.Don't have a pic but it's out of antler.Holes from 9/32"-25/64".Very handy tool.
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2016, 08:42:33 am »
Got another version of arrow flight here I did'nt mention.Some shafts fly like darts but don't hit where I'm looking.That's usually a windage thing and most times it's me not coming to full draw like I should.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Lumberman

« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2016, 09:52:26 am »
Well I made some 3/8 guys and it just seems way too bendy for white oak, got the plans to make a spine tester but have not done it yet, have not shot them as my bow is not finished.. Starting from scratch on all this has been a blast though. I was thinking of leaving the others at 5/16 till I get the spine tester finished

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2016, 10:22:19 pm »
They might not be dry,but I bet your grain scale says they weigh quite a bit.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Lumberman

« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2016, 10:34:09 am »
Yeah the 3/8 guys are at 11/32 once briefly sanded. The white oak is at 520 grains 31" which I plan to make thirty but I am chucking the end . I realized I said 5/16 earlier when I meant 7/16. So if I get em spined for my wife's #45 compound, how much is it going to change once I put a broadhead on?

Offline Badger

« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2016, 11:27:48 am »
   One of my favorites was hard maple for a heavy shaft, the mape is very stable compared to some of the other hardwoods. I seldom use hardwoods anymore and usually favor tight grained doug fir. I like my bare shafts at about 375 grains and 11/32 with a 55# spine, 29" long. I am surprised your white oak is not heavier. My maple shafts are usually about 650 grains or so.

Offline Lumberman

« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2016, 12:07:42 pm »
Hm.. Blast something must be up then,  there is some sapwood maybe there was discreet incipient decay in it that hadn't softened it real noticeably. I will try taking some of the others down to 11/32 and weigh em. I have heard Doug fir is popular. I get hardwood scraps for free though . Have some hickory drying now too

Offline bow101

« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2016, 03:32:16 pm »
Yep more than one way to skin a cat.  8)   nice setup.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Badger

« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2016, 03:51:08 pm »
Yep more than one way to skin a cat.  8)   nice setup.

Straight grain is eveything, if they have runouts going more than 1/8" into the arrow I would scrap it. I don't use runouts even that deep.