Author Topic: First Osage Self Bow (progress - First Big "Outing" 5/20)  (Read 49125 times)

Offline ber643

• Bernie Dunn's Home Page
Re: First Osage Self Bow (progress - Updated 04/22
« Reply #90 on: April 23, 2008, 09:16:34 am »
Hopefully I will get both of those items accomplished today, Dano. (I can't hardly stay away from it - my wife says it's getting as bad as the computer - she just doesn't know it yet - it's worse  :D)

Oh yes, cowboy, we also have lots of Loblolly Pine (the kind the "tall ships" used to put into the NC coast purposely for - to make their spare masts), and quite a bit of Cedar but I haven't noticed any of that big/straight enough for bows in this area. Of course I'm not what you'd call "practiced" at looking at it (Cedar) for possible bows.
"Hunters Are People Too" (My website Premise)
Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC

Offline DanaM

« Reply #91 on: April 23, 2008, 09:23:49 am »
Coming along very nicely bernie, I must say that you have amazing amounts of patienence :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline ber643

« Reply #92 on: April 23, 2008, 11:27:14 am »
Thank you, Yooper - I think it's an age thing -  ;D but whatever it is I'm glad it caught up with me before i started working on bows  ;)

This might be a good place to mention that when we started, Mike was kidding me that it was such a pretty, straight stave with no knots, etc. that he felt he had to apologize, as it would be so easy I wouldn't learn very much. However, after we got into it, "It" has turned out to be quite a learning experience after all - IMO. Although it was sans knots (probably a good thing  ).
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 11:48:26 am by ber643 »
Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC

Offline ber643

« Reply #93 on: April 24, 2008, 12:51:40 am »
Now we're loggin'!:

Tomorrow, Lord willing, I will twist (with heat) the tips into position, let her cool, and then get the short string on her to see where we stand.
Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: First Osage Self Bow (progress - Updated 04/23
« Reply #94 on: April 24, 2008, 01:05:26 am »
She's coming along nicely, Bernie. The tiller looks great! ;) 8)    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #95 on: April 24, 2008, 01:07:07 am »
Yessir! Ber - that's lookin good. That left limb looks a lot thicker than the right for some reason - but I'll be durned if they don't look like their bending the same :). Such is a self bow :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline ber643

« Reply #96 on: April 24, 2008, 09:39:52 am »
Thank you Pat and cowboy. On the preceived thickness, cowboy, I think it is because that tip is a little more twisted than the other so we are seeing a part of the limb surface also - but since it was getting into the evening the flash was brighter and washed out the edge, so you can't tell that. When you run your "pinchers" down the edges (and surfaces) of the limbs they feel pretty close (for a gnarly ol' stick -  ;)). It fools me too when I look at the bow quick, and has given me more than one start - I'll be glad to get them straightened today, especially that one -  :D
Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #97 on: April 24, 2008, 10:45:25 am »
Looking good so far,can't wait to see that baby finished.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #98 on: April 24, 2008, 11:56:01 am »
Bernie, looking better. What I would do is make a heavy pencil line at the end of the fades where you want the bending to start. Work there. Looks like you have a lot of near handle wood not bending. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline ber643

« Reply #99 on: April 24, 2008, 12:19:42 pm »
Thanks, Pappy and Jawge. It sure does look like that, Jawge, now that you mention it - I just imagine that will really show up under the short string (and in the current bow weight), huh? I probably will be lucky to be able to string it with the short string -  ;D.
Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #100 on: April 24, 2008, 05:26:59 pm »
Bernie, this is your first. Getting bow weight should not be much of a concern. Getting a good tiller should. :) Jawge
Set Happens!

Offline ber643

« Reply #101 on: April 24, 2008, 06:53:35 pm »
You are right of course, old friend - I was just thinking (playing - tongue in cheek) it'll be hard for me to see the tiller, if I can't string "It". Heating and twisting the tips, even as we speak (one of them cooling right now). It just dawned on me - or are you saying that I should work those areas before I put a short string on it?
Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #102 on: April 25, 2008, 01:12:06 pm »
LOL, Bernie. I don't know what you should do but I almost I never string a bow with the short string until I get the bow limbs bending well. I would get that near handle wood moving a bit more and then go ahead and string it. Post another pic when you think the stave is ready for the short string. You are doing well. I'll be in and out until this evening. Joni and I are getting ready for Easter this Sunday. Jawge
Set Happens!

Offline ber643

« Reply #103 on: April 30, 2008, 11:05:23 pm »
OK - time to catch up on this "learn-along". I have been very remiss about posting lately but I have been working on the bow and taking pictures right along. I also have been busy with other postings and springtime "outside chores" - (you too, huh? - LOL).

You will be happy to know, though not as happy as I am, chances are, that I am very close to finished with "It". In fact all that remains at this point is some decorations I plan, and final finish. The best part is that I now have a very nice little shooter that looks and acts pretty darned good, in my opinion. However it was not without a scary moment or two and a couple set-backs or at least slow-downs. I will take you patient folks along with me, from where I left off above.

The next step was to heat and twist (or untwist) the tips. They were twisted in opposite directions, which ment I had to twist each of them clockwise a tad to align them with the limbs and centerline better. I did that by dry heating and twisting with a cresent wrench, tied down to the handle of my (heavy) belt sander, while cooling took place:

The next day turned out to be a hectic day, at least for a beginner like me. Well, I twisted the tips that Thursday night, with no real problem. I did still have that weak spot (blue tape - to say, "Stay away!") to deal with. I did a little work on the inner portions of the limbs (to get the area close to the fades working more) and blended the scraping into that weak spot better. I put it on the long string once more to see how she looked. Looking pretty darned good - but still "strong". So I went to work on her. Looked something like this - at the end of my hectic day:

I started working a little more on the Inner Limbs and then put a short string on it. "It" still looked pretty good on the tree, discounting a few areas that could use a little touch-up work:

(Actually those two pics were taken at the end of that day - but it was pretty much the same all day - to different degrees as I progressed - going crazy!)

What drove me crazy was that the first time I strung "It", with her short string, one limb (the right one) wouldn't curve hardly at all. Kinda like the following picture - except that pic was also taken at the end of the day and looks a little better than it did at earlier stages:

I mean, at first, the string at the flatter end (right) was only about 2" from the limb, while the other was about four inches. I did everything that I thought "It" was telling me to do - but nothing seemed to change it. Neither in just the stringing of it, or in putting it on the tree (yes, after each scrapping, I was exercising it about 20 times, each time before I strung it, and again each time when I put it on the tree.) The situation, of course, was making no sense to me - but I swear I couldn't stop myself from trying to correct it anyway. Towards the end I measured my string, and it had stretched out a little, so I twisted it back up to 57" (it probably' could be 56 1/2") and that is where it is set in the pics above. By this time I was really frustrated. Then all of the sudden I noticed, for the first time, what I thought might have been the problem, and what had been driving me to distraction all day. My beautiful reflex was just about gone from the end where it had been heat induced (left end/top limb)! Not only that - but I wasn't so sure there was not even as much on the other end (right/bottom limb) as there was originally - but there was enough there to make the difference in the tips in the "Brace" pic above, I think. That blew my mind, and I thought, "How in the world ......???" Then it dawned on me - probably when I had heated the tips to twist them, the night before, I most likely relaxed the reflex all to blazes, especially in that one end, where it was heat induced in the first place. So here is a picture of the unstrung bow at the end of that day, so you can see the difference from what it was before a beginners mind-bending day:

I hoped all that was needed was to heat her up and induce some reflex back into it, at least the one end, and perhaps both. I had no idea what the weight was at that point (maybe a ten# bow for all I knew - I hoped not) but I never at any time went over 38#s on the tree bow scale, with either long or short string. At that point, I put it all to bed, and went out and worked up a sweat blowing, racking, and hauling leaves in the dog pens and back yard - to calm my damaged nerves and frazzeled state of mind. It only worked marginally ;^).

I aprised my mentor, Mike, of the above day in a message, with pics Saturday night. I had decided to let "It" rest Saturday, as I knew Mike was out of town, and take her over to his place Sunday to let him help me make sense of it all - and maybe take the scare out of me.

As soon as we strung "It" Sunday AM, and subsequently put her on the tillering tree, Mike was sure that I had worked on it after the message - and I wasn't so sure myself that I hadn't "sleep-worked" on it during the night. It looked pretty "normal", and darned good, except for fine tuning areas, as noted above. I think the bow has got a little magic in it, or just wants to be a good bow, very badly - LOL Mike had thought about it some, after reading my message, and felt that the weak spot in the one limb had made the string look closer, and thus the limb look/act flatter, at the other end of the bow. As I got the stronger tip closer to the weaker one in my work Sat, it had got better - but it evidently needed time for the wood to compleatly take it's new shape - it got that time Saturday. much to my shock and pleasure Sunday:

So - I had a bow with weaker tips than planned for perhaps - but at least, my beautiful, slightly magic, bow was safe, and looking good:

Yowza!!!

After some very minimal fine-tune scraping and sanding, Mike said it was time to shoot her in and see how she would do:

I spent most of the afternoon shooting "It" and enjoying her. Mike spent most of it shaking his head and proclaiming he had no idea why a bow with those weak looking tips would shoot so fast. We decided that perhaps the crown ridge that runs down most of the back may have something to do with it's surprising performance. We did wind up swaping ends and uping the brace height about 1/2" I found "It" to be, not only quick but accurate, well behaved in hand, consistant. and packing punch with plenty of arrow penetration. "It" was checking out as 41# @ 25" Both Mike and I were hugely pleased and satisfied. Mike also shot about 18 arrows through "It", with the same findings on his part. I shot somewhere around 150- 200 arrows. I was a tired but happy student when I left for home.

That evening at home, I took a couple pics to show how the string, while the limbs go both ways from center, still follows the center line of the handle:

and to show the loss of the heat induced reflex, which I would try to remedy in the final steps (although it didn't appear to be really needed for "It" to be the bow it had promised to be):

The next day I proceeded with progressive grit sanding and at the same time preshaped some Purpleheart tip overlays, affixed them (with epoxy), and finished shaping them. The following day I would try to heat my reflex back into the tips. I found my work-bench wasn't long enough, so I had to commandere my wife's glass dinning table - again (she's so understanding, bless her heart):

The heating/bending worked beautifully and I wound up with my 3" reflexed tips again, after cooling:

I started the burnishing process of my bow, using a glass bottle, I'll do that often in the next few days, prior to applying finish.

That evening I went outside to check and see how tillering stats/looks, and actual shooting had or hadn't changed.

At Brace:

and at 42# @ 25":

I then shot her on my range using my Cane arrows (she liked them) and found everything still as satisfying as it had been during the shooting on Sunday.
After shooting, I got my wife to take some Full Draw pics for me (without canting the bow), with a light background (my neighbor's garage/house) and a dark one (one of our bushes):

I have labled and signed the bow, "It", I am still burnishing her, and will do a small amount of decoration, dressing, plus finish in the next few days, and will be back with the final pics. This one should  (finally) be ready for May - LOL. Today "It" is taking a well earned rest, while I play catch-up here - LOL.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: First Osage Self Bow (progress - Updated 04/30
« Reply #104 on: April 30, 2008, 11:32:37 pm »
Wow!! Bernie - after reading all of that it sounds like you had a harrowing experience ;D. But looks like a fine - slightly medicined bow evolved from it all ;D.
 I can tell ya that steam/heat will take away any heat induced bends you've made - I learned that the hard way too :).. Fine lookin bow ya got there!!
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.