Author Topic: First Osage Self Bow (progress - First Big "Outing" 5/20)  (Read 49126 times)

Offline ber643

• Bernie Dunn's Home Page
Re: First Osage Self Bow (progress - Updated 04/16)
« Reply #75 on: April 16, 2008, 09:47:11 pm »
That figures, Dano -  :D

Thank you, DanaM, and no problem - I have been a horse lover since a youngster. Ran my own small riding stable when I was 16. Always thought I'd get back to it some day but I kept getting more poor and owning horses kept getting "richer" -  ;D So I collect second hand horsey things instead (that's a small portion of them, they are all over the house). I have a Granddaughter who loves them also, so someday the collection will go to her, I reckon. If you go to the indexand menu page of my web site, one of the first things you'll see is one of my favorite types, an Appaloosa. (Uh - watch your ears, if your speakers are on  ;).)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 09:29:04 am by ber643 »
"Hunters Are People Too" (My website Premise)
Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC

Offline ber643

Re: First Osage Self Bow (progress - Updated 04/16)
« Reply #76 on: April 19, 2008, 09:27:22 am »
In the process of doing some belly thinning and further shaping, for floor tillering, as time permits. Using mostly draw knife, Ka-Bar, and sand paper.

Here is a level pic of "It" after some short sessions. Just about through with floor tillering - will set up my tree tiller rig this weekend and start checking progress with that (hopefully)

I'll get Mike to take a look-see (at his place or mine) before getting too carried away - LOL. Sure is nice to have a guiding hand close by.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 09:31:53 am by ber643 »
Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC

Offline ber643

Re: First Osage Self Bow (progress - Updated 04/19)
« Reply #77 on: April 21, 2008, 10:25:58 pm »
Sunday I cut the string nocks in (chain saw file) "It". Last evening and this nasty, rainy day, I did some more shaping on the handle (almost done with that, I think), and some outter third limb tip thinning (believe I still need to do just about that much again there - but I'll do it in two sessions just to be sure - LOL)

Here's the handle pics:

Between rain drops I got my Tillering rig set up (I can quicklyly take the apparatus down and place it in the water proof ammo can on the table, between uses - leaving the bow clamp at the top, and the screw eye at the bottom). A real honest to dickens Tillering "Tree". I may move the rig into the carport later but right now I can't get to the posts, for the "stuff" in the way. "Animal" generously supplied the bow rest/clamp (his discovery) for me, as he had an extra (Y'all know Animal, he was the Drummer for the Muppets Band - LOL). Below is my first use of the rig, and it does real well. BTW, Animal, if you'll put a pully at both top and bottom, as I did, you may not feel like you need a "better", or "ball-bearing", type pully to replace the one you have. It'll double your pull, or half your energy expended, whichever way you want to think of it. The string I'm using here is a 62" (and should be about a 56") so it is still like a "long string" tiller (playing it safe for first try on this rig). Scale read about 35#, and that looks like it would only be at about brace height or a tad more, to me.

Offline david w.

Re: First Osage Self Bow (progress - Updated 04/21)
« Reply #78 on: April 21, 2008, 10:42:31 pm »
looks real nice :)
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #79 on: April 21, 2008, 11:17:52 pm »
Bernie, I would go for more movement mid limb on -on both limbs. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline ber643

« Reply #80 on: April 22, 2008, 01:20:16 am »
I agree, Jawge. Still a fair amount of wood that needs scraping in those areas. Did a little tonight but had to stop, 'cause couldn't go out to check it - without drowning. I'll get back on it tomorrow but still got to be between the raindrops they say, untill day's end.
Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #81 on: April 22, 2008, 07:12:27 am »
What jawge said,looking good,won't be long now. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline ber643

« Reply #82 on: April 22, 2008, 12:30:54 pm »
Yep, Pappy, getting down to the short rows now (discounting the "finish" stages  :P)
Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #83 on: April 22, 2008, 12:46:10 pm »
She's looking good Bernie. You better hurry(don't rush ::) ) Hickory will be here before you know it. That bow will win you first place in the primitive class! ;)     Pat

ps. I'm bringing stave end cuts for you to Hickory for knife scales.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Keenan

« Reply #84 on: April 22, 2008, 01:01:11 pm »
 She's coming along real nice Bernie, It's been a real pleasure watching this bow come to life. Enjoy those last few strokes as you bring her into the final stretches ;)  Keenan

Offline ber643

« Reply #85 on: April 22, 2008, 02:46:34 pm »
Bless your heart, Pat, I'll appreciate the wood pieces. LOL - I don't know about any winning - the shooter has to do his part too, I understand. I do hope to have it ready for Hickory though, in fact i hope to take it to Baltimore the weekend before that = if my rides will quit falling by the wayside.

Thank you so very much, Keenan - she's looking and feeling real good this Noon. I'm hoping this afternoon I'll be able to look at it on "The Tree" again, and see more about how good/bad I'm doing bringing it in.
Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC

Offline ber643

« Reply #86 on: April 22, 2008, 09:41:09 pm »
Last night and todays progress - when I could finally get it out to the tillering tree - LOL. Looking a little better  :). I also did some more fine-tune shaping of the handle, though it doesn't show in the pic, of course. Using the same 62" long-string. Still only reading about 36# on the bow scale but you can see that the bottom of the scale in this pic is almost down to the bottom of the tree - I'll need to make a 57" string for "It" tonight. I also still need to heat and twist both tips a tad before stringing the bow.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 09:52:19 pm by ber643 »
Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: First Osage Self Bow (progress - Updated 04/22
« Reply #87 on: April 22, 2008, 09:48:49 pm »
Lookin good Bernie - that left limb is lookin stiffer to me. Man, I'm seein bows all over those woods back there - not to mention your tillerin tree ;D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline ber643

« Reply #88 on: April 22, 2008, 10:11:48 pm »
I believe your right, cowboy - on both counts. No Osage in these woods though,  :D Hickory, Holly, Oak, Sweegum basically.
Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC

Offline Dano

« Reply #89 on: April 22, 2008, 11:08:37 pm »
Lookin good Bernie, I'd get that left mid-limb bending the same as the right and put a short string on her.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada