Author Topic: First Osage Self Bow (progress - First Big "Outing" 5/20)  (Read 50056 times)

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: First Osage Self Bow (progress - More Pics 03/10)
« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2008, 11:43:32 pm »
Coming along nicely I see :). Like that bow of Mike's too - that is a unique looking grip area ;D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline ber643

• Bernie Dunn's Home Page
« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2008, 01:31:02 am »
Yeah, Paul, His wife mentioned that too. I'd call it Twin Beauts - - - - er, Buttes, but I think Mike has a earthier name for it.
"Hunters Are People Too" (My website Premise)
Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC

Offline cowboy

« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2008, 04:11:51 pm »
Yeah, I thought it kinda reminded me of a girlfriend I had this time :D ;D...
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline ber643

« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2008, 07:16:02 pm »
AND, as i mentioned, it really is a sweet little bow  :-* in all ways. It's gonna be a pretty one when he finishes it.
Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC

Offline cowboy

« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2008, 08:04:37 pm »
Just couldn't resist ;D ;D.

Offline ber643

« Reply #50 on: March 12, 2008, 10:09:55 am »
I don't see it as a problem, Paul - LOL.

On the serious side though, Mike purposly kept the vally of the handle necked down, and made the bottom swell larger to fit into the heel of the hand without having to bear down. For instance, he knows I like to not bear down with my heel (hand) but want to feel something in the palm, so normally like a bigger handle. This design however is very comfortable and easy to hold and shoot - to both of us. Interesting to say the very least, innovative and, I humbly think, worth a try.
Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC

Offline ber643

« Reply #51 on: March 24, 2008, 12:36:23 am »
Well I did get to go over and Work on my Osage Bow today for a few hours but again I'd like to show you the progress Mike has made on his real snaky stave that i showed you at the begining of this thread. He is pretty much at the point I am on mine (or a little further) but close to floor tillering. In this pic you can really see the character running rampant in this osage and the three (count 'em three) knots that come all the way through (holes) - small one near the top, large one in the center, and medium near the bottom. It is a beaut though and I'll bet is going to be a fine shooter in the end.

Now back to my First Osage Self Bow. Today, using Sure Forms (flat and curved), 4 in Hand File, Draw knife (as scraper), and Ka-Bar, (as scraper) itook the sides of my stave into the outlines of the Bow shape I am looking for. Here is a couple of pics (not much difference in them - except the flash spot) of how the stave has (perhaps miraculously) turned into a Bow Shape. Now the bow is ready for belly wood removal to get it bending for Floor Tillering - next session. I really enjoyed this session too, BTW - most satisfactory use of tools and results.

Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: First Osage Self Bow (progress - More Pics 03/23)
« Reply #52 on: March 24, 2008, 12:53:50 pm »
That snaky one with the holes is going to be one cool bow,I just love that kind of stuff.Looks
looks you are making some progress on yours also.Can't wait to see it bending and am sure
you can't wait either.Keep us posted on the progress.  :)
    Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline ber643

« Reply #53 on: March 24, 2008, 04:11:56 pm »
I agree on all counts, Pappy, and thanks.

Quite a pictorial spread on the TN Classic, in the current PA. I'll tell you, if you and Pat don't quit getting your pictures in all the mags, those beards are not gonna be enough to keep you secret identities - secret -  ;D
Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC

Offline cowboy

« Reply #54 on: March 26, 2008, 12:02:39 am »
That's comming along Bernie - still can't wait to see her bending and like Pappy said, bet you can't either ;D..

Offline ber643

« Reply #55 on: April 07, 2008, 02:28:39 pm »
OK - Onward and upward (I hope). Mike and I were finally able to get together at his shop again, yesterday afternoon. the plan of the day was to take belly wood off the limbs of my Osage self bow to try to get the limbs bending for a suitable floor tiller. I used my draw knife but more often as a scraper than as a draw knife. I was haveing to be careful that I paid attention to following the caracter "whoopties", in regards to consistant thickness. It was a good feeling to find myself becoming more and more comfortable with this process as I progressed. a most enjoyable and productive 4-5 hours. We did get satisfactory floor tiller on both limbs but the bottom limb can stand a little more thickness removal in a couple places before we move on to tree tillering. Baisically just refinement though.

Working it out - first (presumably upper) limb:

Bow switched around in vise to start on second limb:

A pic down the length of the first limb, after floor tillering:

This pic taken at some point during the floor tillering. I couldn't bend it quite as well as Mike could when he tried it. He figured we are probably at about 60 - 65# ... (at about 20" - LOL) but that's down qite a bit from 100 plus. It's looking more like a bow at every stage.

At the end of the floor tillering of both limbs (and the session) I could feel the difference real well and also that both limbs were bending in nice, relatively even curves. We are seeing now that we will have to induce a little more reflex into one of the limbs at some point soon.

After my last sessions posting, one of the folks watching along asked me what stats we were shooting for. I had to admit that, not having a memory for figures and facts, I would have to write them down at the next (this) session. I did that but please remember it's all pretty much only figures to me. I am not into "bow design" (yet anyway, and maybe never - LOL), so don't nail me to the barn door. However for those who like, or can visulize better with, facts and figures. Here is what we are shooting "more or less" towards (depending on "It" being in agreement).

A Sort of Plains/NA Flat Style bow (w/character) 4" Handle (so C bow), w/ about 1 1/2" fades. Limbs are 1 3/8" wide at the fades and tips will be under 5/16" (or close) wide at finish. Most of the width taper will take place in the outer third of the limbs. Tip to tip length is 60 3/4". That's about "It" (the name of the bow - so far because I think it will be - LOL). Thanks for looking.
Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC

Offline Dano

Re: First Osage Self Bow (progress - More Pics 04/07)
« Reply #56 on: April 07, 2008, 10:03:53 pm »
Dang! you still workin on that ol piece of hedge?? ;D  Lookin good Bernie.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline ber643

« Reply #57 on: April 07, 2008, 11:05:26 pm »
Yeah, Dano - I have a love affair with it and actually do more "strokin'" Than sraping  :D I know - my progress is more like digress, i reckon. I enjoy the slow pace though - you know how much longer it took you to shoot the courses at ATAR when you were shooting with me -  ;D
Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #58 on: April 07, 2008, 11:09:18 pm »
wow lookin good sir. that will be a nice bow. :)
Modern Day Tramp

Offline Dano

« Reply #59 on: April 07, 2008, 11:32:23 pm »
Those were some fine times my friend, carry on  ;D
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada