Author Topic: First Osage Self Bow (progress - First Big "Outing" 5/20)  (Read 49129 times)

Offline ber643

• Bernie Dunn's Home Page
Re: First Osage Self Bow (progress)
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2008, 08:41:40 am »
Thanks for the comments and encouraging words, all. I do hope to be able get back on it again Sunday (got some knife  and turkey Wing bone Call work that needs doing too), and will be happy to keep updating the changes (they fascinate me). It always did when I read other's posts (before I ever thought of doing it myself) and even more so now.  ;D It is a really nice, clean piece of Osage - I'm pretty sure Mike told me it came out of Texas.
"Hunters Are People Too" (My website Premise)
Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC

Offline ber643

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2008, 09:55:24 am »
Mike and I did get together at his shop yesterday afternoon to make a little more progress with my current (and first) Osage self bow. We also got to do a little shooting while the bow was cooling down. we were shooting a couple of Mike's fine osage bows and it reminded me that I've been meaning to show you some of his fine work. Kinda points up well why I trust and respect him as my mentor too. So, I'll take a short break here to show a couple pics of mike's work, before I return to my progress pictorial, - this is the "Naughty Knotty" Osage stave he is currently taming:

This is one of the bows we were shooting and it is a sweet shooting, virtually no shock, fast, piece of joy to shoot - not to mentiion a beautiful work of art that my pics can't even begin to do full justice- IMO He coaxed this one out some over a year ago (the bottom isn't really that much darker than the top - BTW):

Here is a close up of that gnarly knot hole that is the Back (target side) of his grip. Mike rests his finger tip in there, lightly (my fingers are a little long for that but it's very comfortable in hand anyway:

I'll be back to post the progress pics on my bow. Hope you'll look back in.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 10:29:28 am by ber643 »
Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2008, 10:06:45 am »
Looking forward to seeing more,By the way that is a beautiful character bow.I love
it. Very nicely done.Love to see some more of his work. :)
    Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline ber643

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2008, 01:09:20 pm »
Yeah, Pappy, everyone that sees that bow up close and personal falls in love with it and can hardly believe it. As I said it is even better "In hand" - LOL - I will either get pics of more of Mikes beautiful and interesting work, or get him to post some perhaps. (He really is a very busy guy working with the USMC.)

Well, as someone said, it was time to go to a big file on my Osage. At Mike's suggestion I opted for Shure Forms (flat and curved) instead, as I had quite a bit of wood still to remove from handle area and limbs to even get to the "bendable with heat" state. Here you can see that, after I took the handle sides down closer to line, and got started on one limb:

Those rascals ("cheese grater" tools) can flat move some wood, and I was getting into it - while watching closely and judging high/low spots by running my thumb and forefinger of opposite hands, on each edge at the same time, as Mike had showed me. Of course I had to be careful to follow all the "whoopties" and twists and turns Though not too many on this nice stave - it's fascinating to me to see the bow beginning to take shape more and more with each pass:

After working the bow down in thickness enough to get some lateral movement out of it ,we were ready to attemp some heat bending. We hoped to move the handle closer to a mid-line first, so that when we get to moving the (thinner) limb areas, they won't have to be moved so far. I must apologize at this point for getting no pictures during the heating and bending of the handle area. Since it was my first attempt, I was too, too busy paying attention (and being amazed), to even think about taking pictures (and Mike was too busy keeping a watchful eye on me - LOL). I promise I will get some pics when we do the limb areas, and a twist that must be straightened out a little. Though Mike has (and showed me) a number of Cauls that he uses for various bendings, "my bends" we were able to work on by using the bench vice, clamps and wedges/shims/pads, and the heat gun. As you can see in the next pic, we were successful in moving the handle (neatly, and with only a slight scorch, which I have pleanty of room to remove) and it really puts the limbs in a much better alignment with the axis/centerline of the bow - especially if you compare it with similar pics of the stave/bow, from earlier in this thread. I'm pumped! The darkness of the handle is not the scorch (just a small one on the other side) but is from the Crisco we used to help conduct the heat into the interior wood, and to protect the wood.

Next session I'll work on the limb areas (laterally), and the twist (if it still presents a problem) .
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 01:21:25 pm by ber643 »
Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2008, 01:17:34 pm »
Cool.  8) Starting to look like a bow Bernie.  ;D
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline ber643

« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2008, 01:24:19 pm »
Thank you, my friend - makes me feel particularly good to "hear" you say that, since your bows always look so good to me.
Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC

Offline Gordon

« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2008, 01:54:46 pm »
She's looking really good Bernie - keep those yellow shavings coming!
Gordon

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2008, 01:58:15 pm »
Looking good,you might just get a bow out of that yet,got a good start. :)
    Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline ber643

« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2008, 03:09:39 pm »
Ah, bless your hearts Gordon and Pappy. (Y'all know how I feel about your bows!) I really am enjoying it - just wish I could work on it every day (perhaps some day I'll get there) but then, it makes the pleasure last longer this way - LOL.
Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2008, 03:13:15 pm »
Looks to me that you're doing all the right stuff to that one! You've got a good mentor it seems with a lot of talent! ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2008, 05:35:44 pm »
looking forward to see that piece wood of bending!

frank
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 11:51:40 pm by medicinewheel »
Frank from Germany...

Offline John K

« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2008, 06:04:08 pm »
Looking real nice !   ;D
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline ber643

« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2008, 08:16:25 pm »
Thank you Greg, Frank, and fb - I really appreciate the comments.
Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2008, 08:47:29 pm »
  Looking good Bernie, man those growth rings look nice. Straightening that will be a piece of cake.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Slivershooter

« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2008, 09:42:32 pm »
Bernie, looking good!  It "almost" appears in the photographs that you having too much fun. :D