Author Topic: First Osage Self Bow (progress - First Big "Outing" 5/20)  (Read 49075 times)

Offline ber643

• Bernie Dunn's Home Page
Re: First Osage Self Bow (progress - Updated 04/30
« Reply #105 on: May 01, 2008, 12:19:47 am »
Thanks, cowboy. It's been a heck of a ride, and still is, and I've enjoyed all of it - even the "harrowing" parts -  :D I also really feel like I've learned a great deal (thank you, Mike Brooks, and others).
"Hunters Are People Too" (My website Premise)
Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #106 on: May 01, 2008, 03:44:47 am »

hey bernie! - congratulations to your first bow!
frank
Frank from Germany...

Offline Keenan

« Reply #107 on: May 01, 2008, 04:33:43 am »
 Wow Bernie that came out great ;) . You did a really good and looks and sounds like a little rocket launcher. Those are some sweet full draw pics worthy of being in a famous full draw album that this guy has going.

Here is the link  ;D ;D  http://residents.bowhunting.net/bsdunn/tbd15.htm

Offline ber643

« Reply #108 on: May 01, 2008, 10:53:34 am »
Thank you so much, Frank. I did do a Laminated Bow last year (HBMassa) but this is my first self bow - and what a ball!

Keenan, thanks. LOL I think I've heard of that "place"  ;D (Actually I did slip one of my shooting pics (canted bow) with "It" in there just the other day - I know a friend of a friend of the editors, girlfriend -  ;)) Only mine is on Page 16 (growing all the time).
Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC

Offline Dano

« Reply #109 on: May 01, 2008, 09:23:15 pm »
Way ta persevere brother!! I knew you had in ya.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline ber643

« Reply #110 on: May 02, 2008, 09:34:14 am »
Thank you, dear friend, Dano. I must admit, that i wondered at times - LOL -  but that I am very pleased with the (almost) final results. It isn't as pretty as my "Sneaky Snake" that you made me but the shooting/performance is very similar to me - so that gives you some idea how pleased I am with it, eh?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 11:22:19 am by ber643 »
Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC

Offline ber643

« Reply #111 on: May 11, 2008, 11:22:02 am »
Ran into some slightly "rocky road" with the finishing - a bad acting can of Polypro. First (I didn't realize) it was spraying more propellant than product and after waiting the 72 hours, I had to start over - Duh! Next, it behaved fine and I was well on my way again. Then on what would have been the last coat, the durn thing started spitting, and I didn't notice that quick enough either  ::). First time I ever got a bad can, though I've heard others speak of it now and again. The bad news is I didn't finish with my bow as early this past week as I had hoped. The good news is it forced me to do more coats and steel wool buffing than I usually have the patience to do - LOL. Anyway, with any luck at all I will finish dressing "It" this afternoon and post pics today or tomorrow.

In the meantime here are pics of the arrow shelf I decided to make and will use on her. Got the idea and instructions (long distance) from Dano Gren - because i like the one he put on the bow he made for me. This one is ready, except for perhaps some final tweaking as I go to afix it. Dano says he got the idea from others, or at least others use it, (maybe they got it from him too) - so you may already know that it is made of stacked and glued (super glue) leather scraps. Then you sand, file, sand, carve (if you like) to the shape that fits you and your bow. Thank you, Dano.

On its back:

On its edge:

I'll be back with pics of the tip overlays, which I can take before I do final steel wool buffing, waxing, and dress-up of the bow, at "High Noon".

Purpleheart Tip Overlay:

« Last Edit: May 11, 2008, 12:49:04 pm by ber643 »
Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC

Offline Dano

Re: First Osage Self Bow (progress - Updated 05/11)
« Reply #112 on: May 11, 2008, 09:08:02 pm »
Your welcome Bernie, what's a brother for? She's lookin good.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline ber643

« Reply #113 on: May 11, 2008, 10:12:58 pm »
Bless your heart, Dano.

I finished "It" this afternoon, took final pictures and am going to try to post and finish this out now (or later). I said, "or later," because at this time bad storms (severe thunder storms, hail, tornados, etc. are moving in and around our area at this very moment. All we can do is pray and sit it out, so I'd rather be doing this while we do that, if you know what I mean (rather than sit around and worry).

OK The TV (and Rose) is telling us to shut down computers, etc.. I'll be back after this one passes, good Lord willing.

It is too late for me to start (to finish this) now (on four forums), so I will do it in the AM - just came back to let y'all know that we were blessed with skating all the worst parts (just got bad wind and rain and broken limb tips all over the place). There were problems around us, and some close by, one tornado touched down not ten miles up the road, but as I said we were blessed, Thank you, Lord. Also NC, as a whole, fared a lot better than the midwest did with that same storm front, earlier, so bless those folks out there.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 01:26:42 am by ber643 »
Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC

Offline ber643

« Reply #114 on: May 12, 2008, 09:01:06 am »
OK, friends, it's time to finish up this (forever-long) thread - LOL.

Here is a pic of the handle of "It" with her (Dano Type) arrow shelf/rest afixed, and a Seal skin arrow pass above it. I know, it looks like a portrait of "Ziggy", or "Mr. MaGoo" in this pic, but the bottom part of the "face"
will be covered with a leather handle wrap.

The Seal skin arrow pass I shaved the hair off of, and then shaved and sanded the back to thin it down considerable. The face of Seal skin is pretty tough and durable stuff, the back is pretty soft (and surprisingly thick):

Next is a design I "painted" on the back of the bottom limb. I used an indelible brush/pen (art supply stores). The bar designs are standard Native American symbols. The bar depicts water, waves, direction of life flow, and the ever-renewing force. The bear is one of the most important, oft-mentioned "First Helpers" of many tribes, and the arrow within the animals depicts the line of breath and life force (as all arrows do, more or less). One more thing, My name is Bernard which means, "Brave and bold as a Bear":

This pic is of the design on the top limb, and the same things apply to it, another very important "First Helper" mentioned in many tribes beginnings of NA lore and history, The Whitetail Deer:

Here is the bow Unstrung, also giving a shot of the entire back of the bow showing the designs, with the handle wrap applied, and also a talisman/wind indicator of a red Hackle feater, and a small wooden bead on each side of the limb, tied on with yellow, silk, fly tieing strands. I used a red (dyed) feather and edges of the handle wrap to set off the black designs. Also Red means a number of things in NA lore/design, like South, Heat of the sun (I love the sun), and I've also heard courage, good fortune, and blood. (In some oriental applications red means fire,flame,South, and good luck, and black means water, knowledse, wisdom,career, and North). All of this info on designs and colors are my understanding and reading/research and I'm sure many other applications/meanings are/can be found. Oh, the wind indicator is also used to point up the top limb "Whooptie", which it is tied around - LOL:

A  closer shot of the designs and handle area - I wet the leather wrap before applying it, to help mold it around the rest:

Here is "It", at Brace (Beaver Fur silencers):

Finally a Frontal, uncanted, Full Draw, that I seem to recall some folks indicated they also like to see of a bow:

I said "finally" but after the storm last evening I walked by my "Glory Hole Room" and saw my bow, where I had hung it up. I couldn't help but think how much I liked the look of "It" - even hanging there in front of all that clutter. I felt like I had to try to capture that feeling/look, and so i wanted to share that with you folks too. An Unstrung side view:

Thanks so much for looking/listening/reading/helping - it's been a great experience for me.

Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC

Offline DanaM

Re: First Osage Self Bow (progress - Finished up 05/12)
« Reply #115 on: May 12, 2008, 09:17:48 am »
Looks great bernie :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #116 on: May 12, 2008, 10:36:48 am »
Glad to see you got her done,looks great to me,well done. Love the art work. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #117 on: May 12, 2008, 10:45:55 am »
a fine looking bow bern!  how much weight did it gain after reheating some reflex in the tips?
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #118 on: May 12, 2008, 11:01:22 am »
Bernie, you did an awesome job on that bow. Are you sure you haven't actually making those things for years? Great looking bow, great looking artwork and details. That one's definitely a keeper.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #119 on: May 12, 2008, 11:26:11 am »
Very nice job on finishing that up Bernie! Sometimes the finishing touches are what make the bow something special. That is undoubtedly the case with this one......Congratulations Bernie.  8)
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....