Author Topic: First Osage Self Bow (progress - First Big "Outing" 5/20)  (Read 49078 times)

Offline ber643

• Bernie Dunn's Home Page
First Osage Self Bow (progress - First Big "Outing" 5/20)
« on: February 19, 2008, 02:30:57 pm »
Osage Self Bow: Here are the finished stats: 61" tip to tip, 59" ntn, 42# @ 25", 4" handle, 1 1/2" fades. Width is 1 3'8" at fades, 1 1/4" at mid-limb, 1/2" at tips Plains or NA style Flat bow w-character (not meant to be a replica). Has a sort of natural crown ridge down most of the back.

.......................................................................................

Back before the deer season (Early Sept here in NC) you may, or may not remember me posting the pic below and a couple others along with a story about my starting on my first Osage self bow (under the cautionary eye of my Mentor, Mike Brooks  :)). Ever since then I have been "threatening" to get back on it after the season. Well the season ended 1 Jan - dad-burn, I'm slow  ::). Finally, both Mike and I had time to get together yesterday (Presidents Day), and I flat made some yellow shavings fly - .  :D

Recap Picture (first day, probably in Aug.):

I was really pleased with how much I retained from that first session, and using my own old Draw Knife I (we) could even see some improvement in confidence in "Attack Mode". However my memory didn't improve any so I forgot my camera. I brought the stave home last night so I could record the progress after the (much postponed) second day. I had only got down to the "Back", on one end before. Yesterday I took it all the way to the other end - only to discover right at the end that there was some kind of half ring or camoflage transition that had hoodwinked us. So I started working back - had to go almost back to the original starting point - but what fun, and how well it went - and how much more I learned. On top of that we got a better looking back and it found it has streaks of almost a redish color in it. After that, Mike helped me lay out a would be bow outline - (similar to a bow of his that I had shot and liked, and that the stave looked like it might consent to - ). I proceeded to take the sides close to the outline and we split off the extra, under part of the stave. Here are a couple pics of how it looks now - I'm a pretty happy camper. We will have a little amount of character in both limbs but we will also have some heat bending to do, coming up soon. I am shooting for 58-60" and 40-45# @ 26"

« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 11:15:55 am by ber643 »
"Hunters Are People Too" (My website Premise)
Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC

Offline wolfsire

Re: First Osage Self Bow (progress)
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 02:42:29 pm »
Looks I a great start!
Steve in LV, NV

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 02:57:42 pm »
Looks like you made some real good progress Bernie.  Won't take too much heat-bending, not by my standards anyway.

Whats the scoop on that bandsaw in the background of your first photo?  Looks cool.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 05:26:53 pm »
Lookin good Bernie. You'll be suprized how much faster you get at chasing a ring after doing a few. I think it usualy only takes me 20 minutes or so now to strip off all the sap wood and chase a ring on a full length stave. I find it easier to chase rings on seasoned wood versus green though.... ;D
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Dano

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 06:56:51 pm »
Lookin good Older brother!! It's in your blood now, Rose will be finding yella dust in all your pockets from now on.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline ber643

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2008, 10:13:45 pm »
Yep, yellow dust everywhere (I really do enjoy it - a bunch, Dano, just wish i had started way younger  ;)). Can't tell you much about the band saw - Mike did say today his wife kids him about having all the great power tools and then working by hands - and that he tells her the power tools are to make the pieces of furniture she likes/wants. Him (and I) like working bows mostly by hand (so far - for me anyway).

I hope y'all want to see more "progress" pics, and are ready to  ::). The Marines had a long weekend so Mike's company didn't have to work today either - so we were able to get together for more "larning" this afternoon. This time I took my camera. As you will see, I made a lot more shavings. You folks are right, thinking, "clean stave". Only one tiny pin knot and one reg Knot - not in the way - but yes some problems with heat bending coming up - we'll see. Really made a lot of progress today and it's beginning to look like a bow - albiet a crooked one -  at this stage  ;D:

Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC

Offline Dano

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2008, 10:36:10 pm »
I like the natural reflex that stave has, but getting the string to line up is going to be some real larnin. ;D You have a good mentor,  Semper fi
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline Keenan

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2008, 11:04:39 pm »
 Looking real good Bernie, "wish you had started while you were younger"  Heck looks to me like your in your prime Bernie. Can't wait to see it finished.   Keenan

Offline ber643

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2008, 11:09:32 pm »
Yep, that reflex is pretty pronounced and it should be a pretty zippy little bow.
Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC

Offline Wulamoc

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2008, 12:12:05 am »
Nice work, Bernie!!!
And God was with the lad; and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer. GEN-21:20

Michigan

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2008, 12:39:55 am »
Looking forward to your progress Bernie. You are starting off with a primo stave. Enjoy every minute and yella shaving as you go. ;)     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2008, 01:38:16 am »
Good for you, Bernie. Have fun. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline wolfsire

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2008, 02:04:10 am »
Look at those shavings!
Steve in LV, NV

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2008, 05:53:24 am »

man, that's a nice piece of wood you are working on!  :o :o :o
difficult, too, i guess...  8) 8) 8)
take your time and enjoy the ride,
frank
Frank from Germany...

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2008, 06:55:48 am »
Looks like you are coming along nicely,nothing like the smell of yellow wood.A little
straighting and you should be good to go.Keep us updated. :)
    Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good