Author Topic: bowstring material?  (Read 11571 times)

Offline Auggie

• redneck engineer
bowstring material?
« on: February 19, 2008, 01:53:52 pm »
Needing to make a bowstring, but at the moment Im out of b-50,artifical seinew,so what else can a guy use that would be found at the local store? String is for a 50@28 60 in N to N. Thanks
laugh. its good for ya

nailbender

Re: bowstring material?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 01:59:48 pm »
  Wal-mart sells waxed linen cord in the craft section. It makes a pretty thick, heavy bowstring, but if convenience is what you want, it will work. I used it to make strings for my first few bows, until I could order some dacron. I'm pretty sure that any craft store would also carry it.

Dale.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 03:11:29 pm »
If you are looking for something natural then pyrosupplies is the place to go. They have really good linen that I have been using for many years. Their domestic 6 strand natural flax twine makes an excellent string and a lb of it is not very expensive.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 05:45:18 pm »
Most craft stores have artificial sinew. Anyplace with any kind of leather goods should have it.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 06:32:31 pm »
Ive bought linnen string at walmart, I would think would work. Never tried it for a string though.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline carpenter374

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2008, 07:01:18 pm »
Tandy leather carries a linen twine thats very cheap and very strong. I've heard a few guys on here say they use 550 parachute cord. You can find that at any military surplus or outdoor store.
"Those who would sacrifice their freedom for safety will find that they will inherit neither." -Ben Franklin     

--Carpenter

Minuteman

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2008, 08:35:30 am »
Theres 2 kindsa art. sinew. One is polyester and I believe thats what B-50 is made of , it'll make a decent string. The other kind is nylon and it will not make a decent string, stretches all day long.
 The pyro supplies linen is the best I've found short of a roll of really old Irish stuff i found in a garage i was helpin clean up once. Its real thin and very strong.
 The only trouble I have with linen strings is they have to use self nocked arrows, too thick for conventional nocks.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2008, 10:23:45 am »
Chris, heat up the plastic nocks and open them up a little. Or get after them with a little sand paper.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Kegan

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2008, 07:16:11 pm »
Like mentioned above- I've used paracord on stronger bows without trouble. As long as there is tension while braced, it works suprisingly well.

Offline Auggie

• redneck engineer
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2008, 12:21:00 am »
Thanks for the ideas, was afraid that the para cord might be over kill, I use it for my tillering string.As far as finding linen around here no luck,closest thing I found was cotton crochet thread.
laugh. its good for ya

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2008, 01:11:01 am »
Sneak on down to Brian's when he isn't home and borrow a little.  ;D

SW Utah

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2008, 04:46:27 pm »
Cant find mine >:(....Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline wolfsire

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2008, 06:05:39 pm »
Grocery or pet store for raw hide chew toys will get you a primitve string.
Steve in LV, NV

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2008, 11:25:14 pm »
Yucca Leave fibers make great Primitive Strings too....a lot of work...but they are so cool when they are done....but the Chewy Toys work too..like Wolfshire said....soak em in warm water and take em apart....cut them into strips....and start working it!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome