Author Topic: Those of us who teach the trade  (Read 13608 times)

Offline Badger

Re: Those of us who teach the trade
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2016, 03:34:58 pm »
Matt, I have watched you teach, you are very good at it.

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2016, 03:59:14 pm »
Matt, I have watched you teach, you are very good at it.

He certainly is and has unbelievable patience. Most of the shoots I go to are in Michigan and it is unbelievable how many people say Matt got them going. My hat goes off to you sir!

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2016, 04:01:22 pm »
I'm proud to say that I've taught a whole bunch of people how to make bows.  I've been offered money for classes but, wouldn't accept.  I have accepted a 6-pack of beer or two to share.  :o ;D  If you want to build a bow, just come find me.  I'll teach you.  Your wood or mine (which I do sell or trade), doesn't matter.  Gary Davis did that for me, well over twenty years ago.  I traveled to shoots with him way back when, teaching the craft.  We discovered quickly that we too learned a lot from the "students" whether they'd built a few previously or were new at the craft.  We learned from 8-year old Cub Scouts, we learned from women and from grown men.  Each A lot of years have passed, in a short amount of time.  A lot of bows were made; a lot of smiles on faces.

Like anything, there are some that are more challenging than others but the rewards are priceless in the end.  I'm not certain who originally coined the phrase, "Passing it On" but for me, that's what it is and has been for quite a while.

Still Learnin'....

That may help explain the overwhelmingly HUGE amount of luck you seem to have at the raffle table during the Classic!  When you build up a massively positive Karma account like that, the Universe just has to payout some time eventually!

OneBow

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2016, 04:30:07 pm »
I ain't  a good teacher but love trying!
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

JacksonCash

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2016, 04:37:12 pm »
From the other side, I had the good fortune to be guided while building my first stave bow by many of the folks posting in this thread. For anyone who's working on their own and wants to get some guidance, you can do a lot worse than going to some meets and work along side the folks there. Everyone has something to teach you. Just being there and watching them work is an amazing time.

Offline benbow

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2016, 05:30:13 pm »
Only passed on what i have learned over the last 3 years to 6 people so far. A family of 4 - They have not yet finished but so far so good, pretty lucky with this lot mum and dad know wood and how to use the tools and the boys are well behaved but understandably eager to skip to the end always asking, "can we soot them now". i keep telling them that good bows are made patiently then they huff and get on enjoying the next bit.  its been challenging to keep them engaged on the task at hand, i will probably use a design that is accomplished quicker like a stink bow instead of a flat bow next time.

one 18 year old who had made a bow before, making all the same mistakes i did with my first bendy stick, this felt good to have some common ground and a base to work from. once he finished the nice elm stave (i cringed at giving him at first, seeing his previous attempt) it was very much his stick and i was glad i took the chance, he got it to desired weight and draw even had time to steam some reflex in the tips (everyone loves a bit of steamy action)

the second person i helped make a bow was a 14 year old lad at a sweet woody festival in Oakhampton in Devon run by friends called Hedgcation. i was asked to run a workshop, only having limited time, wood and tools at this point i decided to say yes to the first person that asked after seeing my bows on the stand. This was a great success for joe and myself both learning a tone. the only draw back was all the other people i had to say no to and ended up collecting sticks form the wood and making hazel whip bows for nearly every kid on sight. this year i want to try the green wood survival bows described in the tbb with a group.

Also this year i have been invited to run a couple of courses with a larger groups (5-6 at a time) at a friends newly established woodland workshop, this i am feeling pretty apprehensive about having never taught paying customers or large groups. Also not having a lot of experience teaching and have only been making bows for the last 3 years (88 bows at the last count) i often worry i am not qualified, but i suppose you have to start some were. all i know is i love making bows out of wood plus everything that goes along with it and want to help people find a love for it themselves.  Any advice from you experienced bowyer teachers to a novice would be gratefully received

Many thanks

P.s
i am building a new web sight too

www.primitivearchery.co.uk
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 05:33:24 pm by benbow »

Offline Badger

« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2016, 05:50:52 pm »
   88 bows is a lot of bows, especially if you were putting your all into them. Thats plenty enough experience to teach.

Offline benbow

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2016, 06:02:01 pm »
Cool i should chill out a bit. i recon i have broke or failed at least 70% of what i have made. once i get a camera of my own i will post some of the successes . i have been lucky to have a place to live in my van and a workshop for free, not to mention a very patient girl so ye am able to put my all into it. Thanks to all the ineradicable inspiration from everyone here.

Not sure what you will think about my quiver Badger :-[

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2016, 06:04:22 pm »
I've taught to large groups as well and it is draining.  A small handful is about right. 

I've offered to teach the process from start to finish to the younger generation of a local aboriginal community.  I want to show them which trees to look for in the forest, how to select the best specimen, the harvesting and so on.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Hamish

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2016, 06:16:05 pm »
I don't mind giving someone a little help, if they are stuck at a certain point in the bowmaking process, but I just don't want spoon feed someone through the whole process.
I really feel, in any field someone who wants to learn should learn the why as well as the how of the process, and should make as much effort to educate themselves and experiment, before expecting everything laid out for them on a platter. Make some investment skill, time wise, and monetarily in the process, and I 'm more likely to want to lend a hand. Especially in the age of the internet its never been easier to research and educate yourself.

That being said maybe I don't have the best personality type for selfless teaching, and I do admire those who choose to do this type of thing and do it well. I do admit what an honour it would be to be taught by a master like Badger. They are some really fortunate guys.

Offline Badger

« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2016, 06:26:51 pm »
Hamish I agree with you, I have had the best luck working with guys who have already started in most cases or at least have been following and reading for a while. I can't tell you how many guys have quit at the first blister. I try to start them off on something hard to test their resolve before I invest too much time. A lot of guys want you to build it for them.

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2016, 08:46:07 pm »
Yep, they want to do minimal work, with minimal invested of themselves as far as understanding and developing skills, and just want the shortest, quickest route to be able to tell folks 'check out this bow I made. Cool huh.'

I like to help guys who have tried on their own a few times first, and are maybe having some difficulty but are still committed. Those guys really pay attention and soak it up like a dry sponge.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2016, 09:20:17 pm »
I really enjoy teachin folk how to make bows. As said, i learn something EVERY time... Im almost always amazed and sometimes dismayed(lol) that their bows come out better than any i make for myself 👍😄..... Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2016, 09:31:57 pm »
I have only done a few bow builds with students. Built three at my get together as build alongs. I usualy do one end and student does the other. I can only teach by example I guess. I had to wait till I got about a 100 or so before I felt I new enough to teach anything.  You are right about teaching more than one at a time Bad Chris. I was tired after the week at my get together .  Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2016, 11:20:59 pm »
I have only taught one  group ob about a dozen home-schooled kids. They were great. Paid attention and worked hard all day long. One of them already had one bow to his credit. That was a lot of fun for me and the kids.

I have worked with several men to make a bow, more of a demonstration than a lesson.

I admit, I have a much greater affinity for people who read the classic books from the late 1800s to the 1950s and learn to make bows without a teacher. Probably because that's how I learned and because books and writing are very important to me.

Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine