Author Topic: pin knots advice  (Read 1636 times)

Offline Emmet

pin knots advice
« on: January 26, 2016, 01:42:17 pm »
I'd like some input on this stave please.
It's 60"long & 1"1/8 wide.  I thought I would like to try my luck at adding sinew.
 I haven't used it before so I'm not sure if these pin knot on the edge should stay or go. Also on the back should I work the pin down flat or keep them slightly raised going with the natural ring growth.
I would normaly just try it and learn from failure but since it looks like a bit of extra work I thought it's worth asking for the advice.
If this atempt works out well I have several other shortys I may try.

Offline osage outlaw

Re: pin knots advice
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 02:42:48 pm »
I don't pay much attention to pin knots on the edge with osage.  If I was backing that bow I would follow the ring and leave it bumped up before sinew backing.  What draw length are you going for? 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2016, 02:54:15 pm »
If you wanna leave it 60" long  -  do not back it. Just work carefully to the ring and around the knots.
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

riverrat

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2016, 03:01:33 pm »
i agree, at 60 inch, thats kind of long for backing with sinew. your not going to gain much if anything. those pin knots look fine to me. you have enough off the sides of them . there shouldnt be any issues.if i was really worried about them and it was my bow, after i finished the bow id just sinew wrap the pin knot area . its osage its pretty strong, and a wrap with sinew over those pin knots wouldnt take away from the performance of the limb any and would insure those knots never could cause a problem. Tony

Offline Emmet

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2016, 05:18:53 pm »
I draw 26 messured from the back of the bow. I would cut right through the pins on the side as long as the sinew would hold it together.  I only had one osage start to split and that was on the edge and started at a pin, reason for the question. This stave has aready been chased to one fat ring & tillered to short brace tips recurved and heat treated. If you think its of no gain to sinew I'll find a shorter stave to practice on. Thanks for your input.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2016, 05:22:25 pm »
You'll be fine with the sinew.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2016, 06:39:26 am »
I never cut through the ones on the side, I just leave a little room and go around them. As far as the ones on top, I always chase the ring over them, I don't cut them off flat. Usually no problem. I personally don't see a problem with sinewing it if you want to. ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good