Author Topic: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information  (Read 704070 times)

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
Re: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information
« Reply #3915 on: August 09, 2016, 10:19:09 pm »
David, one of my favorite handle wraps is hemp cord wrapped around the handle.  I then soak tite bond 3 glue over the hemp.  It makes a durable, comfortable handle and it looks pretty good too.  I also like a nice leather wrap too though. 

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #3916 on: August 09, 2016, 11:31:47 pm »
David,

I get my leather wet before I stitch it on, and then pull it tight with the stitching.  when it dries the leather shrinks tight and conforms to the curves.  you have to make sure you have just enough slack in your seam that the drying process doesn't create a gap, but still tight enough that the leather conforms to your curves.  It isn't as hard as it sounds, though.  I usually make a pattern  by wrapping with masking tape--put some paper on the back of the bow first, then wrap with tape and then cut a straight line down the back over the paper and unwrap.  That pattern plus about .25" to account for the thickness of the leather usually works about right. 

Clear as mud?

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #3917 on: August 10, 2016, 04:33:09 am »
David how wide is your handle right now. If it's fairly wide find the center measure out 1/2" both ways and see if you can take it down to 1" wide. If you can it might take away that shelf you cut into it. I make all my bows with a 1" wide handle that would be the thinnest I would go then if your wanting a shelf build one up out of leather cork wood bone or what ever. I like my shells to be 1" above center of bow but that is just my preference. Good luck

Offline David Ewing

« Reply #3918 on: August 10, 2016, 07:28:41 am »
I'd like to have a thin handle like that, but I don't know if the wood is strong enough?
It's hickory, and 3/4" thick at the handle.
"If you want me to agree with you, I can, but then we'd both be wrong"

David

Offline Josh B

« Reply #3919 on: August 10, 2016, 08:26:51 am »
David, your bend looks pretty good to my eyes.  It's a little asymmetrical, but that does not hurt a thing.  If it's shooting smooth with no handshock then there's no need to re-engineer your handle.  At only 3/4" thick, you stand a really good chance of fixing it beyond repair and having to start over.  I wouldn't take that chance this late in the game.  You've done quite well so far.  I'm impressed.  Josh

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #3920 on: August 10, 2016, 02:25:27 pm »
Here's an updated list on who I need to see progress reports and full draw pictures from before they will receive a bow:

jandersson,   Ryan C,  Ranasp,  Stuckinthemud, 
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 06:46:34 am by Fred Arnold »
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline kid bow

« Reply #3921 on: August 10, 2016, 03:19:49 pm »
uploads on the way.
i need nothing but my old bow and arrows.

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #3922 on: August 10, 2016, 05:25:55 pm »
Ok here we go with some pics.

I went out and shot my trade bow made for me by Dylan.  Shoots very nice.  It is a narrow, bend in the handle osage with horn tips.  Has a bit of string follow, but shoots very smooth and still hits hard.
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #3923 on: August 10, 2016, 05:37:42 pm »
I am loving the yellow color in contrast to the black handle and tips!  The bend is sweet (full draw to come when I have someone to take pics).  I can tell that Dylan put a lot of time and energy into this bow.  It means a lot that someone I have never met would do that!  Thank you very much Dylan!
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #3924 on: August 10, 2016, 05:47:43 pm »
I am not sure what the horn tips are, but I really like them and Dylan did a nice job getting them on the bow.  I have never done tips like this before - but want to give it a try.  This bow is going into my collection of "never to get rid of" bows.
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #3925 on: August 10, 2016, 05:56:20 pm »
It took a few shots (but only a few) to find the bow's sweet spot.  Once I did, these were the next 3 shots from 15 yards.  I was wanting to hit the top center spot.  Grouped them rather well I thought.  Arrows may be a little stiff?  As said it shot hard and very smooth.
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #3926 on: August 10, 2016, 06:03:00 pm »
I backed up to 18 yards and shot at the 3d target.  I think with a little shooting and tinkering with tip weight, I can get these arrows flying where I  am looking!  I am going on an early season doe hunt first weekend in September with my brothers and cousin.  Believe this bow will make the trip!  Will post full draw once my wife gets home to take the pic.  Thanks again Dylan!
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline ajooter

« Reply #3927 on: August 10, 2016, 06:44:46 pm »
Now that's how ya post a trade bow MWO!!  Hell of a job on that bent stick Dylan.

Offline David Ewing

« Reply #3928 on: August 10, 2016, 07:21:02 pm »
How much string follow is acceptable?
The bow I'm building has quite a bit of it. Drawing it back, everything thing feels fine though... Doesn't seem like it's thay "spongey" (which is what I've heard lots of follow will do)
"If you want me to agree with you, I can, but then we'd both be wrong"

David

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #3929 on: August 10, 2016, 07:29:15 pm »
David, how much string follow? And what's your scale telling you at the current draw length?
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.