Author Topic: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information  (Read 706546 times)

Offline DuBois

Re: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information
« Reply #2895 on: June 03, 2016, 11:16:44 am »
Hey David,
I'm seeing a hinge about 6 inches from your left fade so maybe a little stiff in that fade and the mid to tip. And as ajooter said, right limb inner third stiff.
I don't know what the unbraced profile is like though.
Marco

Offline Drewster

« Reply #2896 on: June 03, 2016, 11:30:06 am »
Finally, finally, finally have had some time to work in my shop on my Plan C bow.  Got the back chased and the profile roughed out.  I'm pleased so far.  Will keep my progress posted.

Gotta run.

Drew - Boone, NC

Offline DuBois

« Reply #2897 on: June 03, 2016, 02:00:23 pm »
Looking forward to seeing the progress Drewster!

I never posted the rawhide tip overlay on plan B so here it is along with the front and side profiles.
 It's at low brace and getting close. I gotta go to work now or I'd get more pics up.  :'(

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #2898 on: June 03, 2016, 06:59:15 pm »
David, the bow is coming along good. As mentioned before when you post a pic you should try to add an unbraced pic for reference.  Can't tell much without seeing it unstrung.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline ajooter

« Reply #2899 on: June 03, 2016, 08:17:50 pm »
Those nocks are killer Dub....That one looks like a winner drewster..keep at it david, theres a bow in that piece of wood for sure!

Offline Loope

« Reply #2900 on: June 04, 2016, 10:12:11 pm »
I haven't posted in a while, was out of town last week, and had a lot of commitments this week.  But here is my progress:

Plan B dogwood:  I flipped the tips only a couple inches, first time I tried this, and goofed a bit.  I identified my problem as lack of experience:  wood was a little thick, bend kind of sharp, and I didn't use a backer.  Both tips had some splinters/splits.  I rasped down to good wood and to try to make both sides match, sanded flat, and glued on some redbud as underlay material.

Plan C dogwood:  I had finished tillering the last time I posted.  Since then, I have shot the bow a decent amount and really am liking this one.  I started working on the finishing, got the tips thinned a little and finished shaping the nocks/tips.  Also started working on shaping the handle.  This one is almost ready for final sanding.

Plan D white oak:  This is a bow I had tillered and shot some last year, but never finished.  The tips were too narrow and unstable, bending to the side after shooting for a bit, so I set it aside.  Well, I finally picked it back up and decided to work on it.  I cut about 3 inches off each limb tip, retillered, and heat treated.  This bow is now ready for final sanding finishing, but turned out a little too light.  I am a few pounds under my minimum target weight, but it sure does shoot great!  This one won't quite make the cut for the trade due to draw weight.

The picture with two bows shows the Plan C dogwood on top and the white oak on the bottom.  The single bow with the clamps is me fixing my goof on the Plan B dogwood.

Michael

Offline Fred Arnold

« Reply #2901 on: June 04, 2016, 11:36:24 pm »
I'm liking that dogwood.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #2902 on: June 05, 2016, 07:03:48 am »
lookin good.
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline ajooter

« Reply #2903 on: June 05, 2016, 09:48:44 am »
I think they both look good at brace Loope.   The underlays should work fine for you as well.

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #2904 on: June 05, 2016, 01:18:02 pm »
Oh man, there a lot of great looking bows being posted on here. Keep them pics coming!

Offline Fred Arnold

« Reply #2905 on: June 05, 2016, 02:56:51 pm »
Going to need some guidelines on this one. 59" NTN and shooting for 50@28. A couple of whooptedoos are throwing my eyes off on this one. I may put it on the caul and try to get rid of them with heat adding a little more reflex. Haven't decided whether to flip the tips yet.

Relaxed, 6" brace, and pulled to 17". Currently 42#@18.

Offline Loope

« Reply #2906 on: June 05, 2016, 03:46:20 pm »
Fred,

My eyes are amateur, but looks the right limb is bending a little more than the left and that the left looks a little stiff from mid-limb to the tip.  Trying to look at the handle area, the whoop-de-do throws me off also.  I want to say stiff between the whoop-de to the handle?

But don't count on my eyes, because I was just getting ready to post for tiller help as well.  I have the Plan B dogwood pretty close, need to get a couple more inches draw length.  Can someone check my eye on this dogwood?  The upper limb is to the right.  I am seeing that the right limb is stiff from mid-limb to tip and maybe the first 2 inches from the right fade should bend a little more, but starting about 6 inches from the fade, a little too much bend.  What do you guys think?

Offline DuBois

« Reply #2907 on: June 05, 2016, 09:29:38 pm »
Hey Fred, I'm seeing that right limb looking real good. Left limb maybe a little stiff handle to wonky area and then to past mid limb after wonky. Hard to see if the handle is getting any bend from here but it looks like there isn't any bend on that left side.

Looper, those are lookin real good from here!
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 10:34:58 pm by DuBois »

Offline jandersson

« Reply #2908 on: June 05, 2016, 11:07:10 pm »
Hey guys!
Dubois: good to see you back! Yeah, a coupe of bending sessions this week, got string alignment to something I can work with also tried to steam out that kink in one of the limbs.

Fred: Agree with Dubois.
Loope: I like the look of that dogwood!

First pic is where I started, second is where I got the string to. Third is the kink in the limb I'm working on now. Got the rawhide and hide glue I ordered so I hope to get that on by the weekend.

Have a good week guys!

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #2909 on: June 05, 2016, 11:43:00 pm »
Drewster - looks like you are off to a good start on plan C.

Dubois - love those overlays!

Loope - the bends are looking good.

Fred - I am seeing the same thing as Dubois and Loope.

jandersson - looks like they are coming along fine.

Worked on finish work this week on my trade bow.  Have a little decorative work left and then will cover it with tru-oil.  Will post a few pics when finished.
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch