Author Topic: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information  (Read 706999 times)

Offline half eye

Re: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information
« Reply #2820 on: May 23, 2016, 05:25:40 pm »
Fred, I sent mine and believe it got there OK.
rich

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #2821 on: May 23, 2016, 06:21:50 pm »
Fred, I am just waiting for the OK from you to send mine out. I am afraid my guy hasn't been very active on here though so I am thinking it may be awhile before I can send mine.  I am still not sure which to send. I have 4 bows made and only one is ruled out.  My mind changes from day to day. 

Mike

Offline ajooter

« Reply #2822 on: May 23, 2016, 07:39:26 pm »
Whenever you say ill let her rip Fred....i do enjoy shooting her every now and then.  Only thing left to do is sign mine.

Offline jandersson

« Reply #2823 on: May 23, 2016, 08:17:14 pm »
Howdi Folks!
Did some work yesterday. I'm thinking on both limbs more fades and mid limbs, what do you guys think? Also I  got to straighten one limb out and  steamed it this morning .

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #2824 on: May 23, 2016, 08:50:29 pm »
I've shipped mine and Drewster received it before he left for the classic. I did get to meet him and shot a round of 3-D with him. Super nice guy!

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #2825 on: May 23, 2016, 09:02:40 pm »
Joachim, did you take all the sapwood off that? It looks like all heartwood.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline jandersson

« Reply #2826 on: May 23, 2016, 09:08:08 pm »
I think the light plays a trick on you, it's mostly sapwood.

Offline ajooter

« Reply #2827 on: May 24, 2016, 06:26:25 am »
My trade bow stave had a tricky kink in it it like yours janderson.  I am a huge advocate of pretillering in my bench vise.   Gordon did this with his vine maple build along and i have since then used that technique.  I can pretty much get the bow to low brace or even brace using this method.

Just be careful around that kink on the left limb but dont get to far into tillering without loosening up thise fades.  All of the bows i make it seems have one limb that behaves perfectly and the other that fights you the whole way.

Keep posting...your  making good progress.

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #2828 on: May 24, 2016, 09:19:35 am »
Sorry I haven't posted much lately. I've been a smidge busy. But I've made some progress. The sinew backed ERC was braced and ready to pull back. But after backing it the levers were a bit weak and were bending, even at 3/4" thick. So I atiffened them with tempered cherry wedges. I've got the overlays glued back on and all cleaned up. So it's ready to start bending again. I think I've used about  an entire bottle of super glue on te knots to hopefully keep them together. Ive got a black locust molle going to. It's been braced up and then heat treated before pulling it back much more than brace. So it's ready to clean up and start pulling back. I'm hoping to get some more done this week, but I think I've caught a big of some sort and will have to see what I can do. Oh and I got the black locust now for my advisor finished. It took about 15 minutes to take from brace to full draw. I had it a little to weak from getting a good brace, so I pretty much just pulled it back to full draw. And it took them than 1/2" of hard set.

Kyle

Offline ajooter

« Reply #2829 on: May 24, 2016, 09:49:09 am »
Those levers are skinny brother...do they bend?  Cant wait to see how she turns out!

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #2830 on: May 24, 2016, 10:05:05 am »
At brace the black locust didn't flex any. After heat treating in not sure yet. When I heat treated the belly I went ahead and tempered the levers to stiffen them up some too. I havmt strung up the ERC yet to see how the wedges helped. But bending against my foot the levers were staying stiff. I'm ready to see how well everything holds up and shoots.

Kyle

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #2831 on: May 24, 2016, 02:34:49 pm »
Fred, mine is ready to ship. just let me know.
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #2832 on: May 24, 2016, 03:27:22 pm »
I guess I'm going to have to email everyone to find out who's ready to ship. I know there are more than 8 bows finished but a lot have wandered away and are not participating. Unless you've heard otherwise please hold off on shipping until I can get confirmation.  :'(
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline ajooter

« Reply #2833 on: May 24, 2016, 03:53:01 pm »
Sounds good Fred!  Im definitely excited to ship.

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #2834 on: May 24, 2016, 04:09:00 pm »
I am still in the middle of finish work.  I have been testing various finishes on scrap, and I think I have what I want now.  But since one of the bows has a heavier draw weight than what I am used to, (and I have recently discovered that the arrows I have are underspined even for my lighter bows) I have been making new arrows to be sure I can test it safely.  But I am getting very close.