Author Topic: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information  (Read 707268 times)

Offline Stixnstones

Re: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information
« Reply #2430 on: April 10, 2016, 08:15:21 pm »
Whoever get's that bow is gonna be one happy s.o.b
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline half eye

« Reply #2431 on: April 10, 2016, 08:25:10 pm »
No help on the name sir.....but that grip is very elegant as is, it really dont need any "pop" it's just plain classy like an engraved double 8) 8) 8)
rich

Offline ajooter

« Reply #2432 on: April 10, 2016, 08:32:29 pm »
Thanks for all the comments fellas...been a fun ride for sure!

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #2433 on: April 10, 2016, 10:33:42 pm »
Gah!!!!  >:( >:( >:( >:( :'(
Had all the pics taken was fixing the brace height and snapped off the bottom nock :'(
Still though I'm glad this happened now instead off in my guys hands. I'm all ready getting the tips reglued I should have pics up late tonight or tomorrow afternoon.

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #2434 on: April 10, 2016, 11:10:38 pm »
Wow. What type of glue did you use on that? 

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #2435 on: April 10, 2016, 11:38:42 pm »
superglue, i think it has plenty of strength but like most glues its weak against shear forces ???

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #2436 on: April 11, 2016, 12:58:21 am »
Here is a yew update--Rawhide is on and trimmed.  This is the first bend since adding the hooks in. I am always surprised at how much weight that adds.  Of course I can't pull it near as far, and I need to work on the outer limbs.  I am loving this stave, and I will look forward to getting some more yew someday.  This one is going out to someone.  Of course I will have to shoot it some to make sure it is safe. . .

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #2437 on: April 11, 2016, 01:41:38 am »
Super glue or any CA glue is too brittle for that application IMO. I lost a bunch of field points once cause I used CA glue on them. It's ferrule glue or good old hot glue stick for points now.  I use CA glue on splinters/ cracks and fletchings, and if I happen to get a good cut from a razor.

Get a hold of some titebond II or III. I've never had an issue and I've been using it for nocks for several years.

I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline ajooter

« Reply #2438 on: April 11, 2016, 05:57:22 am »
Like kid said tb3 would be good.  Make sure you clean the glue off both surfaces thoroughly.  I like to use the overlay like a mini sanding block that way the surfaces mate up pretty nicely.

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #2439 on: April 11, 2016, 07:58:16 am »
Dylan Tite bond 3 is all I use. But it looks like your bow its self had a flaw it it to break. I've seen the tip overlays break off with super glue but the bow be ok.

Jeff that yew is looking good. I'm glad you have my address!! 

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #2440 on: April 11, 2016, 08:49:30 am »
Superglue  also has poor shock resistance. I use it for a temporary turner's cement when machining parts which can't otherwise be clamped. Give the part a rap with a brass hammer in the right direction when finished, and the part pops right off. Washers can be faced on the lathe faceplate this way. I've even milled a tractor engine head that way. No problem separating the head.

Superglue is great for some things,  but it has limitations. And dylan if you're thinking of re attaching that tip, with its butt joint unchanged, only an epoxy will knit those fibers with any amount of integrity. Tb3 is fine for clean flat wood surfaces. Maybe you're planning to remake the joint entirely, in which case, no problem. Sorry, just opinions here.
I love it when a plan B comes together....

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #2441 on: April 11, 2016, 08:57:02 am »
Jeff, that's a beauty! I bet it will shoot great.

Re. my trade bow, I was able to put another hundred arrows through it yesterday. Raining all day today, so can't shoot in more til tomorrow.
I love it when a plan B comes together....

Offline Sidmand

« Reply #2442 on: April 11, 2016, 09:09:28 am »
Hey all.  Just checking in - I'm in a holding pattern on my bow until I can get my fence finished up.  We got a little dog recently, and the friggin thing is like a sapper - she found every single spot in my yard that had a loose fence slat and exploited it.  SO, I got to get that fence done first.  I hope to get it knocked out this week though, and then my to-do list will be short enough that I can work the bow back into it.  I'm not slacking on it, I'm just buried under have to fix stuff now. 
"Criticism is something we can avoid easily by saying nothing, doing nothing, and being nothing." --> Aristotle

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #2443 on: April 11, 2016, 09:29:36 am »
I got a little more done on the sinew backed ERC molle. I got it cleaned up a bit and it's first stringing since gluing down the sinew. I got it to full brace and found that even though the levers are 3/4" thick tapering to 5/8" at te tip, they still bend. So before I go any further I'm going to cut the levers in half and insert an 1/8" wedge of a more stiff wood and see if that'll help. I'm leaning towards cherry since it should be more stiff and still not add a lot of mass compared to other woods I have available. I may temper the cherry wedge before I insert it so it'll be a bit more stiff.

Kyle

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #2444 on: April 11, 2016, 10:09:29 am »
Dylan, chin up and move on, it could've been alot worse. Jeff that yew sure is purty.
DevilsBeachSelfbows