Author Topic: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information  (Read 704118 times)

Offline Ranasp

Re: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information
« Reply #2070 on: March 18, 2016, 02:16:29 pm »
Sorry for the radio silence, seemed to me that I wasn't making any decent progress since every time I'd start to get in the groove after work I'd hear things like "When are we going to eat?", "Weren't we going to go out and do some errands?" and  "Are you going to sleep tonight?"  ;) 

FINALLY though, I think I've had a breakthrough.  Mental more than anything else.  I was getting pretty discouraged and waffling on whether or not I was mucking up the entire thing, when something clicked and I found out how to properly manipulate the draw knife in a way that seems to work for me, and how to manipulate it around knots.  It might seem like a small thing, but I'm used to being adept at the tools I use and it was frustrating to scrape a certain way and have the wood react in a way that made no sense to me. 

Last night I definitively hit heartwood AND figured out how to shave off around a knot.  The one pictured is close to the center and near the end of the limb, so I knew I didn't want to mess that one up.  I'm pretty happy with how it cleaned up!  The pictures are a before/after of the same area

Side note, I'm not sure if you can see, but off to the right side are some "ripples", they showed up as I was using a two-handed scraper thing.  I didn't like that happening, so I pulled out my folding knife and just scraped away with that, which seems to work a lot better for me.  Any tips on preventing those marks?  I'm probably just not using the scraper correctly.

I just want to say, thanks for adding me to this make a long, I probably would have never made an attempt at making my first bow and learning so much in the process.  I realize that I'm slow as a glacier here, so if you want to knock me out of the trade I'll be fine with that, I came into the game late as it is and I don't want to hold up anyone.  I'm just glad to have learned as much as I have and I'll definitely be stalking this thread and continuing to work on this bow!

Offline ajooter

« Reply #2071 on: March 18, 2016, 02:59:03 pm »
Your getting there Ranasp just keep at it a little at a time.  I believe this trade is going till august so dont the give up yet.  Keep posting progress pictures and we can walk ya right through making a great first bow!

Looks like you got chasing a ring down. I use my draw knife to get the bulk off and then finish with a scraper and knife as you mentioned.  Next is layout.  If your stave is completely seasoned make sure your ends stay sealed otherwise it will check on ya.

Offline half eye

« Reply #2072 on: March 18, 2016, 03:00:45 pm »
Excellent Ranasp....looks like you have a real good handle on that ring clean up thing 8) 8). There are a couple things on scrapers....usually when I get chatter marks it's from scraping perpendicular to the grain If you hold the scraper at an angle to the grain (like a snow plow) you will usually get a smooth, clean cut......you can also clean up "chatter" by scraping over that on an angle.......mostly it's like what you found with the draw knife...where experience will let you use it in a way that makes sense to you.
   Scrapes are also a bugger to "sharpen" and are subject to being "warped" in use by too much thumb pressure......just saying that because some of my favorite scrapers are kitchen and bread knives for the thrift store for 50 cents each 8)

I'm sure that more communication from you will help you a bunch more, personally I'm, glad you are in and learning from the experience....cant speak for anyone but myself but I'm glad you are part of it.....please remember that everybody in this trade is  good people and happy to help if they can. Keep us informed please.....the first one is always a bugger and they do get easier
rich

Offline Ranasp

« Reply #2073 on: March 18, 2016, 03:20:26 pm »
Oh don't worry, I'll be asking a multitude of questions when it comes to laying out the bow, especially since there's a definite twist to it.  Once I've cleaned up the entire length (hopefully not long now!) I'll post pics of the twist.

And wait ajooter, it will check if it IS seasoned? I'll rub some beeswax on the ends, will that help?

Offline ajooter

« Reply #2074 on: March 18, 2016, 03:27:53 pm »
If the ends are sealed your fine.  I use paint or glue.  If during your layout to need to saw a chunk off one end make sure your reseal it.  I had trouble with a stave a couple years ago that checked after I did that so now I always reseal no matter what.  May not be necessary but gives me piece of mind.

Offline Ranasp

« Reply #2075 on: March 18, 2016, 03:57:58 pm »
Alright, good to know.  The log came with the ends sealed, but I chopped off an inch or so to get a look at the rings.  I have a few pounds of beeswax so it won't hurt me any to put some on there.

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #2076 on: March 18, 2016, 05:33:16 pm »
Ok,  I spent most of the day so far trying to even out limbs.  I am at my target weight (50lbs @28").  It isn't perfect, but it also hasn't blown up, so that is a win as far as I am concerned.  the top limb is on the left, and it is the one with a small knot hole in it about 4 inches up from the fade.  Any comments for tweaking it at this point are welcome.

Offline ajooter

« Reply #2077 on: March 18, 2016, 05:43:40 pm »
I think it looks great jeff...can you get a shot of it being drawn in hand?

Offline half eye

« Reply #2078 on: March 18, 2016, 05:51:57 pm »
Tweeks?  Man if you keep tweekin somebody ought to slap yer patties >:D >:D Looks real good Jeff
rich

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #2079 on: March 18, 2016, 06:02:18 pm »
how's this?  It has taken some set in places I don't really like since I took the side profile picture, but not more than I can live with.  I think it is time to shoot it as much as possible to make sure it is safe.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 06:05:30 pm by jeffp51 »

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #2080 on: March 18, 2016, 06:02:45 pm »
All the bows I've seen you guys doing lately look great!  :)
I love it when a plan B comes together....

Offline ajooter

« Reply #2081 on: March 18, 2016, 06:08:38 pm »
Looks great man shoot her in!

Offline ajooter

« Reply #2082 on: March 18, 2016, 06:09:19 pm »
But get that elbow down!  >:D

Offline Loope

« Reply #2083 on: March 18, 2016, 08:22:20 pm »
Fred,

I am going to hang on to that draw knife, it was a Christmas present this year from my parents, so it seems special :)  I only have two, both were presents from my parents.  I need to start picking up some more myself.  It takes a while to sharpen, but I am really loving using a sharp draw knife.

Michael

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #2084 on: March 18, 2016, 09:29:23 pm »
Jeff, that looks real good.  Have fun shooting it in.  That is one of my favorite parts of bow making.