Author Topic: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information  (Read 704083 times)

Offline ajooter

Re: 2016 Primitive Archer Bow Trade Sign up and Information
« Reply #1980 on: March 14, 2016, 08:57:48 pm »
OK guys time to help a brother out.  I had started this one awhile ago and I'm trying to come up with a plan to get her tillered out.  Right now it's 30#@16".  The bow had spun with the lower limb (left side) coming out toward me a little.  Brace is even at this point.  Upper limb is about an inch and a half longer.  Im posting pictures of the original rough out along with a current unbraced profile.  It really hasn't taken any set..just holding its original wonky shape  :P.  I'm thinking I may try and heat treat/steam the lower limb just to get it on a more even plane with the upper limb and continue tillering.  Because of the lower limbs position it has ended up much thicker then the upper so i feel like if i can get them more on the same plane the limbs will balance out both in tiller and thickness.  Just wondering what you guys think.

Offline ajooter

« Reply #1981 on: March 14, 2016, 09:13:01 pm »

Current Brace as well

Offline Drewster

« Reply #1982 on: March 14, 2016, 10:04:38 pm »
WOW, Tim, that is impressive for your first bow.  Yeah, you should hang on to that one. 

I've been really busy lately but did get some work done on my bow Sunday.  Got it to full brace and almost full draw.  BUT, one limb is looking questionable.  Got to work with it a bit more and see if it's going to make the grade.  The bottom limb that had a wee bit of propeller twist got a bit too thin at one point.  Might still be OK but not sure.  I did shoot about 30 arrows Sunday at 2/3 draw.  The jury is out.
Drew - Boone, NC

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #1983 on: March 14, 2016, 10:11:01 pm »
That right limb looks pretty good the left looks to me like it wants to hinge in the humpy part. But the brace pic looks good. I would heat it and try to straight the left limb to match the right if it was mine but maybe these more experienced guys can help more than me.

Offline ajooter

« Reply #1984 on: March 14, 2016, 10:16:50 pm »
I may try and straighten it out but I like that natural wiggle a little.  I just want to get the limbs to round out.  If the left limbs was like the right this would have been way to easy!!!  But then where would the fun be in that?!

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #1985 on: March 14, 2016, 10:25:46 pm »
Hey ajooter - how about a unbraced side profile pic while it is on the tree in the same orientation as the pic you posted?
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline ajooter

« Reply #1986 on: March 14, 2016, 10:37:39 pm »

Here ya go...easier to see from this viewing suppose. No real set yet.  Just a lot of wonky  :P

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #1987 on: March 14, 2016, 10:51:56 pm »
ajooter, my tillering eyes aren't worth a damn working with differences on wonky staves. I'm going to be asking for help on that sinew backed walnut I've been working on. How's the bow feel when you're shooting it? Looks to me like the left limb need a few shavings off the lower 1/3rd.

Here's my osage pulled to 24. I've got a little weight remaining to play with and will most likely hit weight but need to scrape some more off the bottom mid limb.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 10:58:13 pm by Fred Arnold »
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline ajooter

« Reply #1988 on: March 14, 2016, 10:57:24 pm »
Haven't shot it fred...about a 5" Brace. I need to reduce the weight some more before I start yarning her back. But if I'm going to try and bring that one limb back on the same plane as the other that will certainly change the tiller.  I was going to steam around 3/4 of the limb and try bringing back some.

Offline Fred Arnold

« Reply #1989 on: March 14, 2016, 11:00:18 pm »
I know nothing about steaming. Maybe Rich will chime in.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline ajooter

« Reply #1990 on: March 14, 2016, 11:03:16 pm »
I agree with your tiller assessment on your bow.  That's looking great.

Offline Fred Arnold

« Reply #1991 on: March 15, 2016, 12:28:06 am »
I've had a week of hard work and decided since I'm seriously tired that this would be a good time to do a little check in.

I'm a bit rash sometimes. Tactfulness is not my strongest character trait.

I'm going to call some of you on the carpet tonight.

Here's who I want to hear from in alphabetical order: What's going on?

David Ewing

Kid Bow

pincushion

Ranasp

Ryan C

ty-in-ND

Offline ajooter

« Reply #1992 on: March 15, 2016, 11:44:50 am »

This is what I think I'm gonna try. Steam that kink out of the bottom limb and sewer what remains with the flip in the tip and try and match it on the upper limb.  Only problem being that there is a knot on the belly side of the top limb that will most likely give me trouble flipping that tip.  I'll try and post a pocket later.
Too many variable here...I'm going to squeeze a bow out of this piece of wood one way or another!

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #1993 on: March 15, 2016, 02:06:17 pm »
I like your idea and determination

Offline Drewster

« Reply #1994 on: March 15, 2016, 04:03:48 pm »
Hey Ajooter, nothing ventured, nothing gained.  Go for it.  You may have to do it in several steps.  Keep us posted.
Drew - Boone, NC