Author Topic: Hik backed ERC flatbow?  (Read 2890 times)

Minuteman

Hik backed ERC flatbow?
« on: February 18, 2008, 07:18:37 pm »
All right . Startin on some ideas I've had for some time now.
 I have two 9/16" thick by 2" wide pieces of Eastern Red Cedar heartwood ,  reasonable grain not perfect.  I  started with two end pieces  cutting off the really bad grain and Z spliced them together with epoxy.
 First question I have is; how long should I make the lamination that goes between the backing and the cedar? The power lam. I've got a piece of black walnut prolly 3/32" thick tapered down to where I can get a good glue joint under the hikree. It started out 8" long and I've lost a little to the sander while tapering.
 If I make it a flat bow with parallel limbs for 2/3 the length then it should taper out right where the limbs start to bend right? Just a little after the fades?
 Then when thats on the belly handle piece tapers to the same point on the belly side? Does that make sense?
 I don't know how much weight I can get out of 9/16" thick limbs. They are pretty wide though.
 I guess i could make it a pyramid bow.....
 Any ideas would be helpful. ;D
 Chris

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
Re: Hik backed ERC flatbow?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 09:54:01 pm »
Chris, Auggie and I were just talking bout this..we dont know either :D, so when you figure it out, let us know. 8)....Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 10:42:06 pm »
Don't know about the best taper, but I think most people make their power lams about 18" long or so. I'd like to try a hick-backed cedar myself, so you need to work all the bugs out before I start on mine.  ;D
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 12:34:26 am »
Chris, Is this going to be similar to the cherry bow at Pappy's last year? :o ::)    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Minuteman

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 09:18:52 am »
 Pat , I'm not sure exactly what you mean. ??? But I WON'T have a pile of empty beer bottles behind me when I'm tillering this one!
 I just took that one out of the hot box yesterday. I'd forgotten I still had it.
 It may very well turn out like all the other ones though, a buncha splinters at high speed!