Author Topic: Notcher ideas?  (Read 3004 times)

Offline knapperboy

Notcher ideas?
« on: January 20, 2016, 11:57:18 am »
Hello everyone!  I hope you are all doing well, nice heat spell in my area so I've been getting lots done! One thing I've been thinking about is different notcher designs. What is the best design you've tried?

Offline Tower

Re: Notcher ideas?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 01:23:05 pm »
Hammer a steel nail flat then file a point on it.  It works great for me
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 02:43:51 pm »
I took a7018 welding rod and nocked the flux off from it then flatten to screw driver point. I use this for narrow entry punch notching  ??? works for me. Bob

Offline knapperboy

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2016, 05:15:15 pm »
Outbackbob48 I definitely like the welding rod idea because I can make my standard flaker style with it. Do you think brazing rod would work better because you won't have to knock off the flux?

Tower I really like your points  ;D I've tried nails a couple of time but I can't get them to stay in my handles! Have any solutions for this? I use elm for my handles because it grows locally and it doesn't split as bad as many other woods I've tried.

Right now I just make a standard copper flaker and file the tip into a fine point, but it takes a lot of maintenance and It is usually insufficient for thin notches.... and I like to be extreme  >:D

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2016, 05:51:29 pm »
Knapperboy, never tried brazing rod but flux comes off really easy just tap it with a hammer on anvil and flakes off then beat rod as thin as ya can, I'll see if I can find a picture of mine. I also file a notch on one edge to hook on notch platform, not sure it is needed anymore but helped when I first started punch notching. Bob

Offline Tower

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2016, 09:58:24 am »
Do you have double set screws in your handle?
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline knapperboy

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2016, 11:53:37 am »
Tower I generally just run a copper rod though it while it's green. I'll post some pictures when I get home

Offline le0n

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2016, 12:08:55 am »
Right now I just make a standard copper flaker and file the tip into a fine point...

have you tried hammering the copper into a point instead of filing?

how did you anneal the copper?

Offline knapperboy

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2016, 12:19:48 am »
le0n  I have tried hammering and it works equally as well and hardens the metal as well. I do not anneal the copper because I use standard ground rod. I didn't have any time to take pictures tonight because I was tanning pelts, but I plan on taking some tomorrow and you can get a better idea of what I use. Again I'm just looking for tools to add to my plethora  of preexisting  tools  ;D looking for something new to better my knowledge.

I have tried punch notching a few times with minimal success, any remedies? Can I see some pictures  of what you all are using?

Offline Tower

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2016, 07:45:25 am »
Here's a pic of mine

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2016, 02:33:22 pm »
Gotta make one of those. Washington used to be real nit picky on archery laws but just said to heck with it. Game warden had even told me that if my notches looked more then a serration it'd be illegal. But now I can finally do deep notches, barbs, anything bigger then 7/8" is a go. All thanks to allowing mechanical heads.
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2016, 10:38:47 am »
Knapperboy, here,s a little info on punch notching. I set the point to be notched on my hand pad and hangover so tool goes thru notch, also lap pad is on a board so I can hold on my lap, At first it is hard to hold punch and point with one hand and strike shaft with the other. Make sure your platforms are below center, if not usually ear pops off >:( >:(  If done correctly you will get nice big c flakes that are also thinning ahead of next flake removed. My punch also needs to hammered again, starting to get back into shaft thickness, Hope this helps you and good luck with your punching. Bob

Offline Stoner

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2016, 09:58:46 pm »
I use horseshoe nails from our neighbors farrier. Then made a double ended notcher with pneumatic hose connectors. One end with large nail & other end with a small. No hammering just file the ends. John

Offline knapperboy

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2016, 11:50:57 pm »
Hey guys! Sorry I haven't gotten a chance to take any pictures of my notcher, but I finally got some time to sit down tonight! I see a lot of good ideas floating around here, and maybe this will help someone who is just starting out (which was part of the reason I started this thread, other than for my own personal curiosity  and future knowledge) here's what I use just to clarify things. Crude, but effective!

Offline knapperboy

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2016, 11:59:02 pm »
Stoner I really like that idea! The hose connectors are readily available to me since my mom is in the home oxygen supply  business!

I also really like the idea of punch notching from Outbackbob48 and can see that in my future!

Towers flaker definitely  seems functional, especially  for my style of knapping, and I may experiment with that too.

As I see all of these ideas, it brings back a few memories...

Several years ago I was doing a demonstration at a shoot and was using a sharpened nail notcher. Through some matter of fate and my luck of hurting myself in public, I slipped of the stone, plunging the notcher through the leather, my palm, and out the back of my hand. While studying my wound, I noticed some parents and children staring at me with worry and discomfort in their eyes, so I did what any sensible flintknapper  would do and pulled it out and finished the point! Lesson learned there.