Author Topic: Bow from veneers?  (Read 7232 times)

Offline dirthas

Re: Bow from veneers?
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2016, 11:09:51 pm »
A bow from deck lams should have plenty of pop to it. Maybe it'll even shoot faster than ollie your other bows. Just make sure to put a bigspin on the string for good brace height. If it doesn't work out, you can shuv it into the firewood pile. Whatever you do, just have fun, making bows shouldn't be a grind.

These skateboard trick puns doing it for anyone?

Offline uacowboy

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2016, 12:38:52 am »
A bow from deck lams should have plenty of pop to it. Maybe it'll even shoot faster than ollie your other bows. Just make sure to put a bigspin on the string for good brace height. If it doesn't work out, you can shuv it into the firewood pile. Whatever you do, just have fun, making bows shouldn't be a grind.

These skateboard trick puns doing it for anyone?

They got a laugh out of me. this should be an interesting bow if it works out.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2016, 07:36:31 am »
From what I've seen my friend Grant do with laminations of 6 or 7 it does work.Like what onebownder said to start with a tapered core is best.Using an epoxy will make the bow mass weigh more.Smooth on is 1. something or other density.Using Dean Torges type of form works well for inducing reflex and deflex.There is something to be learned from it for sure.Have fun.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Joseph

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2016, 08:46:40 am »
I've got a longboard which I made from gluing veneers, and, I mean it's bouncy.
Sounds worth a shot.

Offline Lumberman

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2016, 12:48:24 pm »
Be sure to keep posting if you guys do it.. I've got a pile of walnut boards about 1/8 to 1/2 thick that aren't wide enough for longboards. I was thinking about trying a bow from them, but I wasn't sure how that would pan out

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2016, 01:54:38 pm »
 have made bows from 3 and 4 lams and with pre tapering they came out ready to go.....sometimes!!!
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2016, 05:02:33 am »
Cool sounding project, you going to put wheels on it. >:D
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2016, 05:56:52 am »
I have never done laminates on a bow but have done lots on furniture ,if you could get hold of a vacuum press / bag I think you can get the ones with the hand pump pretty cheap  you would get a nice thin & solid glue line ,I'm following this one please post pics when you get there Good luck.
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2016, 04:02:28 pm »
  Sorry, I missed replying to this.

The stairstep thing on the handle is not the exact same thing as a power lam.  A power lam is a short lam that goes under the backing, or in this case, maybe between layers,not on the belly where the handle glues on.  It is thickest in the middle and tapers to nothing, or at least paper thin, on each end, and is just 3-4 inches longer than the flares at the handle.  On a multi-laminated bow, the powerlam IS the fadeout, or at least reinforces the fadeout.  Usually there is a powerlam, and the handle fades out, too, so they help each other.

One way to make a power lam without a lot of tools that a have used is to glue up layers of that 1/16" veneer stairstep-style.  Take, say a 14" long strip, an 11" strip, and an 8" strip, and glue them up in a stack, stairsteps on each end.  When dry, glue some rough sandpaper to a flat board, and using the "slant" of the stairsteps as a guide, sand the steps down to a smooth taper by hand.  I used to do this before I got any power tools, like a tablesaw and beltsander.  Good for your arms.

Offline bow101

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2016, 06:25:51 pm »
Cool sounding project, you going to put wheels on it. >:D
 Pappy

lol.... ;D
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell