Author Topic: Selling our work Pics added  (Read 6199 times)

Offline Trapper Rob

Re: Selling our work Pics added
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2016, 06:12:37 pm »
Nice work I really like the bear head.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2016, 07:00:56 am »
On slabs...I am an ABO Knapper but beleive slab work is a good way to conserve material and if you are using it you likely are using other modern materials that will help in producing beautiful flake patterns which I really like to look at. To me slabs help bring about amazing patterns that can showcase the materials, form and style! This technique is one of many that modern knappers employ to explore pattern, color and form and become elements of importants beyond just function.
On pricing the amount of work and it's importance matters.
1. Production of larger orders has an economy of scale.
2. Market will play a factor-will you sell to hunters, yard sales, craft fairs, art exhibitions, museum gift shops, museum collections, friends.
3. Recognized and valued by others in our community. This can effect price when work is sold at themed events.
4. Technique can change the value it depends on what the buyer wants. Maybe they have a collect of only slab knifes or a museum only wants ABO work.
5 skill plays a factor also, buyers valuation through an appreciation of your skill...works with step vs no steps, how you employ pattern to the form, how you use choose to place a pattern of color as you build a point.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 07:04:24 am by iowabow »
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline Stoner

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2016, 11:19:35 pm »
That bear head is KOOL! Great job on the arrowheads also. John

Offline Spotted Dog

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2016, 11:05:27 am »
 I would pay or trade for good points like yours. My hands do not handle the knapping very well. I have taken a LONG break from it.
Those points look great to me. What kind of rifle are going to inlay ?
A three strand cord is not easily broken. Ecc.4:12

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2016, 11:18:22 am »
My Opinion:  I think it depends upon your market place.  As an example I knew a retired sheriff that lived on the big bench on the south side of the Columbia Gorge.  He had fairly close access to all the obsidian he could haul out and had a working agreement with all the truck stops along the Columbia River.  He was an expert flake over grind knife maker.  His knifes were astounding and hafted with deer horn.  His prices varied according to the color and size of the blades and were high enough for the truck stops to display and sell them.  The people who bought these blades could care less about his methods only about the beauty of them and were willing to pay for them.  One of Waldorf's disciples was an expert FOG guy and sold his work at a high price.  One of the very best knappers I have known very well sold individual and show cases at a local well known rock shop in Portland.  So if you have a market with people that only care about the intrinsic beauty it doesn't matter how you knapped the blade!  I am not a fan of FOG however I can't remember a blade I ever made without some amount of platform abrading (grinding)!  Joe
Get Close---Shoot Straight