Author Topic: Oh well, it's just a stick, right?  (Read 3422 times)

Offline jeffp51

Oh well, it's just a stick, right?
« on: January 16, 2016, 08:00:07 pm »
It broke right across a funny bump in the wood.  I thought I had violated the ring, so I took the whole back down a ring (they were pretty thin) and I left just a little around this spot just to be sure.  Maybe that is what caused the break--or maybe it was just a weak spot.  May it was just bad bowyering.  Better now than in the hands of my son--who was supposed to get it.

Offline sleek

Re: Oh well, it's just a stick, right?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2016, 08:03:23 pm »
Well it wasnt your tiller. It waz looking nice. Now i have had those little bumps becore and dont know what causes them or what they are. Id be interested in learning more about them myself. Thats one hellova blow out.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2016, 08:27:23 pm »
I had a sinew bow blow a few weeks ago,,
I checked the moisture with a meter,, said 6%
I had been keeping it inside where the heater is,,,
I checked the humidity in that room it was at about 30%,,, so I moved my bows to another room that is at about 50% ,,
I think during the winter we forget how low the moisture content can get,,in a heated environment
sorry it blew,, check your relative humidity and make sure thats not part of the problem,,, :)

Offline Badger

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2016, 09:56:47 pm »
  It does look like a serious violation at that bump, I can't see it clearly though.

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2016, 10:22:28 pm »
Actually left a little of the previous ring on it - trying to play it safe. It clearly broke over the top of it anyway. Here in Utah the humidity is always low, perhaps that contributed too.

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2016, 01:20:20 am »
I suppose it was the right limb that broke.

1. I don't know, how the bow looked braced and unbraced. But seeing the f/d pic I see it is a very asymmetrical bow (what is doable), this presumes a positive tiller. Don't know if you had.

2. The stick did not sit right on the tree, look where the pivot point is. Left limb is long and bends the same amount as the lower, which is short. You have concentrated the stress in the lower and the position on the tree increase the stress.

3. It is a lot better when working with a tiller tree (I do not like it) let the bow rest in a hanging loop. This allows to balance out and you can see mistakes in tiller early.

4. Avoid long time fulldraw at the tiller tree while taking pics. A lot better: let an assistant do the pics while you draw short time.
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline simson

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2016, 01:23:41 am »
And yes it sucks, having a blow up. :-[

Good thing is: wood grows and we can harvest it  :)
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2016, 08:31:41 am »
Id you would have left that area about 1/2" wider, it may have lived. No promises. Just an assumption, but I'd say your fades are a bit stiff, add those two together and sh!t happens!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2016, 11:27:54 am »
One of the contributing factors, was that I took another ring off the back after I started tillering because I was afraid the spot was violated- and because my son, who was helping, put a deep scratch across that same spot- that left the stave weaker and unbalanced for the draw weight. It was just starting to come around when the ticking started. In the future, maybe treating the spot more nock-like will help.

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2016, 11:47:43 am »
Actually left a little of the previous ring on it - trying to play it safe. It clearly broke over the top of it anyway. Here in Utah the humidity is always low, perhaps that contributed too.

YUP.  I almost NEVER have any problem with wood being too wet out here in Utah during spring and summer, and in the winter it can get awfully dry.

Was that a BL bow or what?  The tiller was looking great, but the limbs were quite a lot different lengths, and it seems much of the left side limb was very much LESS strained than the bottom.

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2016, 11:51:57 am »
Also, what do you mean by "nock-like"?

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2016, 01:10:50 pm »
I meant knot-like. The bow was Osage. It had a natural reflex on one side- the side that broke- that I tried to copy on the other.  Contrary to both Springbuck and Simon, it was the stiffer left side that broke.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2016, 03:04:54 pm »
Yes, it looks like a knot. Leave it wider and tiller that knot a bit stiffer than the rest of the limb.
That's what I do.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline sleek

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2016, 03:14:38 pm »
I dont know  it is, but i always call the tiger eyes because of the appearance they have. Never had one give me trouble though.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Joseph

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2016, 07:35:17 pm »
Looked nice until
*snap*
But great looking bow anyway