Author Topic: Side knocks?  (Read 1579 times)

Offline Chief RID

Side knocks?
« on: January 16, 2016, 04:40:16 pm »
DuBois started a thread about a concern he had with a side nock. Why do we use side nocks? Is it advantageous to something in the build or just a reproduction of some ancient bow? can it cause better string alignment if used during a build? Thanks in advance for all input.

Offline PatM

Re: Side knocks?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2016, 04:43:58 pm »
 It makes unstringing a bit easier. Many native bows have a side nock on one limb. You can get a better string alignment potentially.
 Apparently is was common in warbows as well.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2016, 05:05:07 pm »
Since the string goes diagonally across the bow when using side-knocks, doesn't it mean the bow naturally tips over a tiny amount when you put the string to a true vertical when you aim? If so would it help keep the arrow lying against the bow on the draw?

riverrat

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2016, 05:17:28 pm »
 ive used it on a few bows. it does make getting the string to slide up and go in place easy.also if you have a somewhat twisted bow it can help by pulling on it from one side.on a real powerful bow of ash anyhow, i noticed once it started to make a split. i think because all the force is distributed to that one point. anyways i ended up wrapping the limb right under the nock and that pretty much took care of it. but then it made the easy slide it up into the nock not so easy to do.Tony

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2016, 06:21:44 pm »
...and they look cool!   8)
I've used side nocks a few times on Native style bows and I cut them to better handle slight twists. I've never had any problems from side nocks.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC