Author Topic: Choctaw bow style?  (Read 5325 times)

Offline sleek

Choctaw bow style?
« on: January 15, 2016, 09:43:52 pm »
Did they have a specific bow wood and style? My instructor is Choctaw and id like to make him a bow to show appreciation for him.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline sleek

Re: Choctaw bow style?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2016, 11:10:21 pm »
Kind of answering my own question but for future searchers, here is an interesting link. The tips look almost cherokee.

http://www.choctawnationculture.com/choctaw-culture/iti-fabvssa/201001-how-important-was-bow-and-arrow-to-our-ancestors.aspx

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2016, 11:12:35 pm »
Hickory or black locust, bendy handle Eastern Woodland style bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline sleek

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 11:14:53 pm »

Offline sleek

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2016, 11:15:42 pm »
Thanks pat.

Offline DavidV

Springfield, MO

Offline Scallorn

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2016, 12:40:06 am »
I've done a lot of reading on eastern woodland bow styles and from what I understand hickory was the most common wood they used. They were made in the typical eastern woodland style. Roughly as tall as the person using it, maybe a little shorter. Oval cross section tapering to the tips and bending all the way through the grip area. Most of them didn't have any handle wraps.All of my studying is from 15th, 16th, and 17th century accounts.
Hope this helps.

Offline loon

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2016, 04:03:36 am »
Awesome! This style seems potentially very good for my long 33" draw..

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2016, 01:38:10 pm »
I found these online.  I maybe wrong but I think once the Choctaw came to Oklahoma they used mainly osage but back east they used hickory. But I'm now expert. 
Freedom dies one compromise at a time. III%

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2016, 03:09:58 pm »
I like the bow design alot,, and I like reading about how powerful the war bows were,, I keep reading how most Native bows were 35lbs,, I just don't think what was true,, yes I am sure there were a wide range of bow weights,, but I don't think most were as light as some people say,,

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2016, 03:27:32 pm »
no I dont believe that idea either, Brad. sounds ridiculous, like these guys where wimps with weak bows.....obviously propaganda..
in reality these where powerful strong people with powerful bows...obviously...imho
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

riverrat

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2016, 04:17:50 pm »
a lot can be learnt about the weight of the bows used by the way they drew them. a pinch grip with a raised nock, maybe 50 lbs or so if the guy shooting had above average thumb and finger strength. which im sure most did as compared to most folks today they worked hard with their hands.if you ever watched how mongols shoot their bows { a bit more powerful} they had to wrap their thumb around the string as they pinch griped the nock. but not all eastern tribes used a pinch grip. there are pics of 3 finger release being used as well. sooo.....depends on who was shooting and what style they liked better i guess as for weight of bow. im sure no one pinch gripped a 70 lb. bow at any long length of draw.Tony

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2016, 04:27:11 pm »
I agree with the pinch grip,, a lighter bow would be easier to manage,, like the Ishi bows,,,, 40ish or so,,
but when you read the accounts of the arrows shooting thought horses ,, and armor ,,etc,, probably a heavy bow
Jim Hamms books talk about 70 plus bows,,, I just think there was a wide range, and some of the guys liked or did shoot heavy bows even by todays standards,,,this design would lend itself to any weight bow,, is it simple but very efficient,,and great example of less is more :)

Offline sleek

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2016, 05:37:56 pm »
Its an interesting note to me how the above posted bow was made of close spaced rings. Perhaps the natives liked the tight ring pattern, or didnt have a preference and used what they cut. Also the violated back was noted as well...