Author Topic: Teach some scouts to knap  (Read 1573 times)

Offline Chippintuff

Teach some scouts to knap
« on: January 08, 2016, 10:58:42 pm »
The young people are the future of everything we are and have. I enjoy teaching knapping to kids whether they are scouts or not. Most of them have short attention spans. Almost all of them have lots of questions as soon as they learn that questions are welcome. A few of them will pursue knapping to learn how to do it. All you need to do is knap and explain what you are doing.

Whether you are a beginning, mediocre or experienced, you are invited to join me showing scouts how it is done on Jan 23. The location is about 10 miles east of Georgetown on the San Gabriel River. The schedule of activities has not been completed yet. The event will begin on Jan 22 and go till Jan 24. I will be there only on the 23rd. Food is furnished to those demonstrating/teaching knapping. There is space for camping if you want to pitch a tent. Let me know if you plan to participate. You don't have to be a Curtis Smith to get in on this. It would be good to have at least one abo knapper there.

WA

Offline Chippintuff

Re: Teach some scouts to knap
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 10:39:55 pm »
Dollar Creek (VV Turner) and I showed about 40 Boy Scouts and some of their leaders knapping Saturday, yesterday. They all showed interest and participated well. VV amazed them with his quick and efficient direct percussion. I happened to leave  my gloves at home and had half my fingers bleeding before the day was over, but we all had a great time. If any of you get a chance to instruct some Boy Scouts, please do it. A few of them are attentive and really want to learn, while others just want to beat on rocks. Either way, they all have a good time and learn a little.

WA

Offline Sasquatch

Re: Teach some scouts to knap
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 01:03:50 pm »
Great job brother!