Author Topic: You gotta' love friends like this  (Read 4016 times)

Online Eric Krewson

You gotta' love friends like this
« on: January 08, 2016, 09:37:09 am »
I was once a serious duck hunter with a capital S. I hunted alone, trained my labs, carved duck decoys, I did it all.

Life changes, work transfers away from duck rich environments, my old lab died, divorce, becoming a workaholic and my duck hunting days were over.

I still like a properly prepared duck above all other wild game and I know how to cook them, enter my friend. I have a great collard green patch, he loves collards. He is in a duck lease near Memphis and I love ducks.

Yesterday he called; "want some ducks?" he said. "Sure" I said; I will be dressing 8 fat greenheads and two gadwalls today. Nothing like great friends!

Offline Ed Brooks

Re: You gotta' love friends like this
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2016, 10:20:37 am »
Greens for Greens Good trade, not after your secrets but how is the best way to cook duck?
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline JEB

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2016, 10:29:44 am »
That's a good buddy.  Ducks are good eating and wood ducks are great eating!!!!

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2016, 11:15:49 am »
Eric maje sure to post your recipe on the cooking page, great friends are just that, great
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2016, 01:25:10 pm »
I wish I had a better situation for duck hunting here.  I enjoy working over decoys and the wonderful companionship of a duck dog sitting in the blind watching the skies same as me.

I also like a nice rare duck breast hot off the grill seeping blood into a bed of saffron rice!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2016, 01:25:48 pm »
...or a confit of duck legs with pan fried potatoes and mushrooms!

Online Eric Krewson

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2016, 03:04:59 pm »
I put cream cheese and a few pickled jalapenos between two duck breast halves and wrap in an obscene amount of cheap bacon. I cook this combo over charcoal laced with hickory until the bacon is done, mighty good.

People who say they hate ducks come back for seconds when I feed them this;

The larger pieces are deer minute steak cooked just like the duck.

Online Eric Krewson

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2016, 03:14:52 pm »
I breasted  the ducks out and left the scraps down in the woods behind my house. I set up a game camera on the scrap pile to see what cleans up the leftovers.

Last year I put a road kill deer carcass in the same spot. I field stripped it but the body,guts (exploded) head and neck  I left in the woods. When I checked a few days later everything was gone without a trace, no hair, gut pile remnants, no bones, nothing.  Something had picked up this entire carcass and carried it off without leaving any drag marks, something big.

We don't have any large predators in NW Alabama, or so they say............

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2016, 03:30:45 pm »
I breasted  the ducks out and left the scraps down in the woods behind my house. I set up a game camera on the scrap pile to see what cleans up the leftovers.

Last year I put a road kill deer carcass in the same spot. I field stripped it but the body,guts (exploded) head and neck  I left in the woods. When I checked a few days later everything was gone without a trace, no hair, gut pile remnants, no bones, nothing.  Something had picked up this entire carcass and carried it off without leaving any drag marks, something big.

We don't have any large predators in NW Alabama, or so they say............

Chupacabra.

Or maybe Primitive Tim.  He does stuff like that. 

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2016, 04:10:20 pm »
If ya still got those head throw em in the freezer for me. I am collecting green head skins for a traditional feather belt.

Online Eric Krewson

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2016, 08:43:22 pm »
If they are there in the morning I will retrieve them.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2016, 03:25:23 am »
Man - That recipe for the Duck on the grill sounds way good !!!!! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2016, 06:00:43 am »
Can't wait for the camera pics!

Offline Chippintuff

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2016, 12:22:44 pm »
Eric, up in East Texas I left a big hog out in the field after killing it. The first night nothing happened. After the second night, it was gone, just like you said. No blood, hair, tracks, skid marks or anything. Since there was a thick sod of grass, I can understand there being no tracks, but no skid marks? We did see an occasional cougar there though.

WA

Online Eric Krewson

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2016, 01:18:38 pm »
I salvaged 6 duck heads, something had made off with two of the mallards but I didn't catch it on the trail cam. I was trying to shoot pictures down hill and probably had the trail cam set too high. I moved the ducks to another location where I am shooting up hill and always get good coverage. I found where one of the ducks was eaten, not much left.