Author Topic: Bending Hickory ?  (Read 1582 times)

Offline Stick Bender

Bending Hickory ?
« on: January 08, 2016, 05:41:34 am »
Hi Guys I'm gearing up for my next bow & figured I would ask you guys with exsperience bending wood,it's going to be a 62 in ntn hickory/sinew pullin 50lb @291/2 looking for a ground blind ambush bow ,I plan on flipping the tips but have no exsperience with bending other than furniture laminates,I have steam,heat gun or boiling avalible also mention this stave is only 1 month off the stump & was planing on ruffling it out & letting it set for a month like the other one I just did , but what & when would be better to bend these tips also plan on re flexing at the handle & reverse stringing during sinew ?
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline Chief RID

Re: Bending Hickory ?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2016, 05:57:04 am »
I have no experience in what you are doing. I will be watching. Good Luck!

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2016, 06:48:02 am »
That'll work.Start out with about 1 and 3/4" wide limbs.Get a good floor tiller bend on it with limbs bending evenly.With the bow mass weighing around 16 to 17 ounces.Long string then to short string brace if you have to.I'd flip the tips now with steam.Then temper them clamped to form with heat gun.I usually put about almost 1000 grains of sinew on 4 feet of limb and handle.Crown it nice.I usually never reflex it in the handle at all.No need.Just reverse brace it after sinewing to 4 to 6 inches and wait.You'll get a lot nicer rounded profile at full draw.It'll be a hard hitter.I gaurantee it.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2016, 07:38:30 am »
Thanks do you mean flip before tiller or start tiller with strait limbs ?
If you fear failure you will never Try !