Author Topic: rawhide backing- how soon after sinew?  (Read 4047 times)

Offline richardzane

• active Wyandot tribal member
    • richardzanesmith.wordpress.com
rawhide backing- how soon after sinew?
« on: January 07, 2016, 09:00:10 pm »
quick question
how long to wait to let the sinew cure on the bow before adding a rawhide back?
I haven't done this before so its something new for me.
appreciate any help
-Richard-
when i'm working on things my ancestors worked, singing the songs my ancestors sang, dancing the same dances, speaking the same language, only then  I feel connected to the land, THIS land, where my ancestors walked for thousands of years...

Offline MXer

Re: rawhide backing- how soon after sinew?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016, 10:02:02 pm »
I have put rawhide on a bow but not over sinew.  In fact, I thought I read not to put rawhide over sinew.  Hopefully, someone in the know will chime in.  I'm curious as well because I will someday sinew a bow,  I just need more practice in bow making.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2016, 10:52:47 pm »
Is there a reason you're adding rawhide over sinew?  I did it on one bow but I was copying a bow that Jay Massey had made. It will probably detract from the performance by adding physical weight.
  You can add rawhide any time after you add the sinew but I think I'd wait a couple of weeks. When you add rawhide over sinew you are adding more moisture to the mix so give it enough time to dry out again after applying the rawhide.  What glue are you using?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2016, 08:38:55 am »
I'd wait at least 2 weeks, the last thing you want is mildew/rot under the rawhide. Then wait 2 more after the rawhide is added. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline richardzane

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2016, 10:44:54 am »
thanks for the responses
from a naturally reflexed hackberry stave...short flat bow 57" ntn...dry after sinewing total weight 512 grams
 tillered out at 35# at 28" , about 2" at the fades...I thought, why not play with it a little see if i can get a little more # out of it...

Pat B,
used knoxs to attach buffalo sinew-from at most, foot long pieces, of leg tendon
I wanted to try the rawhide backing to get a flat even surface for a woodburned design

appreciate your experise
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 10:54:36 am by richardzane »
when i'm working on things my ancestors worked, singing the songs my ancestors sang, dancing the same dances, speaking the same language, only then  I feel connected to the land, THIS land, where my ancestors walked for thousands of years...

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2016, 10:48:58 am »
Wood burned design? How so?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline richardzane

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2016, 10:51:05 am »
oh and i had put two layers of sinew on, let it gel and partially dry, and wrapped it with damp cotton cloth strips
left it over night...peeled the cloth off carefully in the morning using a little warm water

Offline richardzane

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2016, 10:52:14 am »
planning to try wood burning fine lines into the rawhide...not a good idea?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2016, 11:05:42 am »
Not a good idea in my opinion. Maybe try drawing the design on the rawhide with art pens?

Offline richardzane

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2016, 11:14:11 am »
Thanks Pearl...you're probably right
I guess there is that danger of scoring and actually creating a place for a hinge...ok...I'll have to think this through

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2016, 11:17:58 am »
Not a hinge, but a tear. Rawhide can tear when one of the surfaces is compromised. If not? You can stretch it the moon and back.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2016, 11:50:49 am »
I agree with Pearlie. I've done a few using India ink that turned out well.
Here is one I did for a TradGang Bow Trade a few years ago...

Are you planning on using the Knox for the rawhide too? I've started using hide glue(same as Knox) and like the way it "sucks" the rawhide down to the surface.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline richardzane

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2016, 12:04:50 pm »
thanks Pearl
ok, that makes sense... have a nice clean deer skin I was gonna brain tan rolled up, and will likely use
Pat B,
Thanks for sharing the rawhide back pics
yeah, planning to use the knox for the rawhide and wrap it up with cloth strips as I did the sinew.
have used my own hide glue before, but thought i oughta try out this knox people have been talkin about. the way it sticks sinew to my fingernail
and the table is proving its good reliable stuff.
 I did cut a long strip from an old rubber boot for a band if that might work better than the cloth pulled tight? or maybe both? what are your thoughts?

Offline PatM

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2016, 12:30:28 pm »
You can just put it on without wrapping and use a hair dryer to keep the glue live. Keep painting water onto the rawhide surface and use the hair dryer as you press the rawhide down and work out any bubbles.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2016, 05:27:39 pm »
I usually wrap rawhide with strips of old bed sheets but remove it after an hour or so. I can then check for air bubbles or glue pockets then trim the excess rawhide with a sharp razor and set it aside to dry.