Author Topic: Recycling - our favorite pastime  (Read 6942 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Recycling - our favorite pastime
« on: January 06, 2016, 06:45:58 am »
If you stop and think about it, we collectively do a lot of recycling in our hobby. Many things that would go to a landfill become our tools or keepsakes. I'm far from a leather smith, very far  :). But I can punch holes and run needles through them! I made this satchel last week. It will double as a dead bunny carrier and a general side bag when needed. The front, back and flap are made from leather I knifed off an old curbside couch. The sides, bottom and strap are made from scrap boot leather the Wolverine factory threw out sometime in the mid 80's. My buddy collected it and gave me a massive box about 10 years ago. I considered fancy buttons and leather lacing. But why? Just more work and it wont make my satchel any more useful. So I left it plain Jane.

Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Recycling - our favorite pastime
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 07:04:52 am »
Very well done , I have one similar I carry stuff I think I might need in the woods and dead Squirrels in. ;) Very handy. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2016, 07:35:58 am »
I love getting leather from old couches,  nice and broke in

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2016, 08:39:19 am »
That will do the job, all that hand stitching gets old fast don't it 😉
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2016, 08:55:05 am »
Nice, Drums!  That ought to come in handy.  Are you going to the rabbit hunt at Elm Hall?
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2016, 09:00:37 am »
Yep....Good work.Always need a good possibles bag for anything.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2016, 09:02:12 am »
Very nice Chris,
 I'll never look at an old couch the same way again, and if I ever find a leather one, I'll be the guy skinnin' it by the road side.

Kevin
Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2016, 09:26:20 am »
hmmmmmm ... thought ya might use your "Marshall" purse as yer possibles bag.   :P

But this one ya made is cute too!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2016, 09:49:17 am »
That will do the job, all that hand stitching gets old fast don't it 😉

It wasn't bad with good football on TV bubbly. Before I knew, it was halftime and I was nearly stitched up.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2016, 09:50:09 am »
Nice, Drums!  That ought to come in handy.  Are you going to the rabbit hunt at Elm Hall?

No sir. I will be at Drew's St Jude's Bunny Stomp. Not exactly sure when that is?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2016, 09:51:59 am »
Very nice Chris,
 I'll never look at an old couch the same way again, and if I ever find a leather one, I'll be the guy skinnin' it by the road side.

Kevin

Kevin I took the whole back off :). That is a damn lot of leather. Something like 7-8 feet by 30" or so. I've used a good share of it up already.  The cushions were checked and wrinkled up, so I left them.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2016, 09:52:41 am »
hmmmmmm ... thought ya might use your "Marshall" purse as yer possibles bag.   :P

But this one ya made is cute too!

I gave that sweety to my sister who has twin gilrs! At the time they were on bottle and diapers. 

Offline helmet

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2016, 12:42:22 am »
Nice job. I dont make many leather items but when I do I remind my self that the extra time stiching pays off. Everything I have made I still have and is functioning. My gramps made a vest from deer hides, he wore it to work for years and years as a lineman, and its still functional.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2016, 03:05:52 am »
Looks good Pearly - Your "Haversack" will come in  handy ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2016, 07:51:13 pm »
That satchels not half bad Chris. I'm sure you'll be quite manly looking out in the field with a couple bloody wabbits hanging out  the side of 'er. ;)
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.