Author Topic: Spring 2016 Turkey Camp  (Read 24932 times)

Offline iowabow

Re: Spring 2016 Turkey Camp
« Reply #90 on: May 17, 2016, 08:43:53 am »
Still working them
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Stringman

« Reply #91 on: May 17, 2016, 09:17:58 am »
God has blessed you with beautiful weather, nice scenery, and great friends. Hunting is the applesauce on that plate.

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #92 on: May 17, 2016, 09:25:05 am »
JW,
You banked a little bit of good karma with the rescue, good luck hope you get one of those black hills gobblers.

Kevin
Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #93 on: May 18, 2016, 07:04:54 am »
Good on you JW. Good luck on the hunt, shoot straight. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #94 on: May 20, 2016, 04:09:49 am »
Come on guys, we need an update. >:(
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #95 on: May 20, 2016, 07:14:36 am »
Come on guys, we need an update. >:(
 Pappy

X2

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #96 on: May 20, 2016, 09:46:41 am »
The turkeys must be gobbling and they have no time for up dates
eat, sleep, hunt, eat, sleep, hunt.....

either that or the turkeys are not gobbling and they are all sleeping off food comas from working their way through JW's menu.
I get hungry every time I read the menu.

Kevin
Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin

Offline iowabow

« Reply #97 on: May 21, 2016, 01:14:55 pm »
I did not kill a turkey but it was a great time! I am really tired from hunting so hard. I hunted mostly with dave and we had some great hunting experiences. The best was call birds in to 15 yards and Dave not getting a shot at the 4 lol...Dave you can tell that story.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #98 on: May 21, 2016, 01:27:10 pm »
I saw a lot of elk

Offline iowabow

« Reply #99 on: May 21, 2016, 01:31:19 pm »
In the black Hills sometimes the roads are questionable. I took a little time to explore.

Online JW_Halverson

« Reply #100 on: May 24, 2016, 09:39:26 pm »
Iowabow arrived early, really early.  Like days before anyone else.  Can you tell he was excited???

We drove out and set up his camp in the "Elk Rocks" area I have found last fall and heard elk bugling in the dark.  I abandoned him to his own devices as I had to work Monday morning.  I told him I would be back Tuesday morning and headed for town.  Monday afternoon, after work, I was so excited myself that I packed like a madman and was driving up the little Forest Service two track at about 10:00 p.m.  I walked into camp to the ringing echoes of pure copper free abo snoring!  I made some bear snorts and growls as I shook one of the poles of his tent.  Iowabow woke with a scream (he claims he was shouting at the "bear" in order to scare it away), and I had to rock him to sleep, singing lullabies to calm his frazzled nerves.

Next morning, well...later that same night, really...we rose and burst out into the woods to work our first gobblers.  Iowabow had done a great job locating the flock and we had birds at about 100 yds rocking and rolling.  He claims to have had a coyote right in front of his set-up, but I didn't see anything but a scabrous, handicapped, three legged chipmunk with an eyepatch. 

He and I busted a hump most of Tuesday clearing out deadfall mountain pine beetle killed trees and catching up on current events.  That evening, we put some birds to bed and did the same for ourselves.

Kyle and Julup showed up Wednesday early afternoon. They are buddies of mine from the muzzleloading/rendezvous circuit. They had their gear out and set up in record time, being old hands at this kind of work.  I sent Iowabow out with them for the late afternoon/evening hunt. I offered to stay close to camp since we were expecting Tattoo Dave from Michigan to show anytime. 

I had gotten no more than a couple hundred yards from camp and bumped two different feeder flocks moving toward a peak on the ridgeline east of camp.  I heard a vehicle in the distance and soon heard it's horn sound off.  I had left a note pinned with my jackknife to the upright pole on the camp kitchen awning instructing Dave to toot his horn when he arrived.  I dogtrotted out of the woods a few minutes later and proceeded to be a living example of why it is not smart to meet people on the internet and make plans to meet them in the woods!  Poor Tattoo Dave may very well never be the same.  His gear was unloaded in minutes and set up.  We were off on the errant feeder flocks moments later. 

The entire crew was assembled now.  Attrition had whittled this year's camp from 10 people to just a mere 5.  Plenty enough, and with what I had gathered for groceries, nobody was gonna starve much. 

....more to come.

Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #101 on: May 24, 2016, 11:08:15 pm »
It was a fantastic week! I arrived in camp Tuesday night. JW and I were promptly in the woods, and we're putting some birds to bed less than an hour later. Wednesday morning John(Iowa bow) and I were on the move to get closer to some gobblers and called them into less than 10 yards. Too bad they came around the wrong side of a rocky outcropping we were set to ambush them on, we didn't get a shot off. We worked birds every time we set foot in the woods, and had a blast doing it! We ate like kings and slept like babies...for real, waking up at 3 am and taking plenty of after breakfast naps

John gave me some pointers on abo knapping, and I managed to make a useable point. Looking forward to next year fellas, can't wait!!

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline iowabow

« Reply #102 on: May 25, 2016, 06:45:31 am »
Jw was about to make friends with my 44 mag. He told me he would not be in camp that night.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 07:41:44 am by iowabow »

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #103 on: May 25, 2016, 07:19:13 am »
Sounds like a hoot and that country looks like some serious wandering round land. Nothing better than no signs and no fences for miles.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #104 on: May 25, 2016, 07:26:08 am »
Turkey camp is not for the lazy; we get up at 3 am and eat a light breakfast and head out at 4 am. The weather in the blackhills changes hour by hour, it can be 33 degree leaving camp and the return hike could be 70. You're trekking up and down mountian terrain in the dark without a flashlight. You have to move quickly because the birds are going to be on the ground by 5am. We worked birds till about 7am then started moving on birds that would not come it untill about 8-9am. After hunting hard we would return to camp where jw would have breakfast cooking. During the first part if the trip jw worked me like a slave and had me set up camp by moving logs and clearing brush for the camp ground and parking area (so much for peace and quite of the early bird). In the afternoon we would all split up and scout for birds for the next mornings hunt. By the time you returned to camp after sunset it would be 9-9:30pm and you are very tired and hungry and agian jw would have dinner on the stove and one night we had an apple pie and homemade ice cream. The evenings were filled with stories of the day's hunts, plans for the next day, lots of poking fun, and fantastic lies of adventure.  If not for sheer exhaustion we would never have overcome the thunderous snoring of the camp host which certianly doubled as a bear like deterrent as it sirened over the hills for miles.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 08:59:06 am by iowabow »