Author Topic: Tillerin twist out of a stave? Now a question about my handle wrap?!  (Read 9696 times)

Offline ajooter

Well I most likely ended this nice hickory staves life before it even had a chance but I'm gonna try to still turn it into a bow.  Both limbs had some serious twist in them so I decided to try and heat treat and perform a correction at the same time.  I was able to get almost all the twist out of the top limb but the bottom limb still has a little twist in it.  Unfortunately I added way too much reflex at the same time.  There are pictures of the reflex that was induced and the bottom limb.  I will post pictures of the bow at low braced on a tillering stick to show the extent of the twist later.  I was wondering if any of you guys will forgo straightening a stave as opposed to just tillering the twist out of a bow depending on the degree of twist.  Thanks for any input.
Aaron
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 09:16:16 pm by ajooter »

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: Tillerin twist out of a stave?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2016, 11:08:24 am »
I just ignore the twist unless it is excessive and take it out if I have to.
More on my site.
If  a stave has problems I don't add reflex. I actually seldom add reflex anyway.
Jawge

http://traditionalarchery101.com/fixtwist.html

Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2016, 11:09:34 am »
So it is twisted 180 degrees or all the way around?
Jawge
Set Happens!

Offline ajooter

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2016, 11:14:31 am »
The stave is roughly 65" and 1.5" wide to midlimb...asymmetrical limbs.  George I don't think the twist is any where near 180 degrees.  I really posted this a little prematurely because u don't have a braved pic yet, but I'm in the car for a couple hours and wanted to get something up.  The stave was already reflexed and I got WAY carried away.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2016, 11:17:28 am »
I wouldn't try to tiller out twist, you will end up with a very thin limb on one side and probably still have the twist.

I have found out that minor twist like you have will often shoot out during a bow's break-in.

Offline ajooter

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2016, 11:28:24 am »
I did have similar experience with a maple board bow I made eric.  The twist did eventually shoot out.  I'll keep posting pics of my progress.  Thank you for your thoughts guys.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2016, 11:34:32 am »
The bow will draw back along the line it wants to, if you just shape the grip to suit that natural draw plane it will prob' shoot sweet and true.
I think it's only an issue if the bow is trying to toque in your hand.
I'm working on one at the moment, if it's strung at about 1/2" brace the string line looks awful and the bow looks to have an S shape and the limbs to be sort of angled. Once it's at a decent brace it look fine and pulls true.
If I let the bow dangle from the string nock I can see the string line is fine.... sometimes it just sorts itself out.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2016, 11:57:24 am »
I'm not a fan of twist, but I usually keep them as is.
If it moves in your hand left or right it will need to be fixed, but if not, save yourself a headache.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2016, 01:04:08 pm »
I agree with above, get it strung,, and see what she does,, it you get the string to line up,, I think you have a bow :) some of the reflex is gonna come out,, just go slow,, let the bow sweat some when you get it strung ,, so it can settle in on its own,,,

Offline ajooter

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2016, 03:31:02 pm »
Sounds like sound advice to me...I'll be getting after it this weekend!

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2016, 04:08:09 pm »
I'm  working on a Maple bow with the same twist problem tried tillering it out while the bow is still heavy to no avail, so I took Brads advice & left it in. I will let you know how it works out.
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2016, 07:39:52 am »
Bet you turn out with a really nice bow there.That stick won't break even with that amount of reflex.I like hickory.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2016, 10:11:22 am »
Sorry. I got confused looking at that picture where you are holding the stave. I guess I didn't see much twist there so I assumed it was a really large twist.
See what happens and how the string lines up after you string it.
Typically, I leave handles and nocks wide until at least the fist stringing to aid in string alignment.
Jawge
Set Happens!

Offline ajooter

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2016, 10:58:28 am »
I should have left the handle area wider George your right.  The tips are still about 3/4" so I have a little wiggle there.  I have no problem steaming the handle to tweeking the tips into alignment.  I'm tillering each limb individually in my vise to try to get an even bend in each limb on account of the stupid amount of reflex I put into the bow.  They are already pretty close just a little more work before I get it to the tree.

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2016, 06:18:23 pm »
I took Brads advice & left the twist alone & just started tillering not done but it disappeared.
If you fear failure you will never Try !