Author Topic: Painted Braintanned Warshirt  (Read 7224 times)

Offline Peatreg

Painted Braintanned Warshirt
« on: December 30, 2015, 01:45:17 am »
Completed "Crazy Horse" shirt. Originally planned on recreating the shirt from below with a few minor detail changes. Ultimately it was a combination of the two original shirts below.

Two brain tanned deer hides. Top 1/3rd of each provided the sleeves while the bottom 2/3rds of each provided the front and the back. Shirts of this "two hide style" were laid out as if the animal was standing on its hind legs, therefore maintaining the shape of the deer and honoring the use of its hide. In this way the front legs then hung down from below the arms (later period shirts wouldn't have these mobile appendages as they were cut off). The hind legs then would hang from the bottom of the shirt (again, later period shirts removed these). Shirt is sinew sewn from the cuff to just below the elbow and on the neck and shoulder seams. 136 human hair locks wrapped with dyed porcupine quills in red, white, yellow and blue. Top half painted with blue pigment paint mixed with hide glue. Bottom half painted in yellow pigment paint. Red lighting bolts and sinew wrapped hand painted replica eagle feathers.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 02:05:27 am by Peatreg »

Offline chamookman

Re: Painted Braintanned Warshirt
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2015, 04:08:46 am »
Way cool ! Thanks for posting - Bob.
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

riverrat

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2015, 05:02:31 am »
nice.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2015, 08:24:13 am »
Super replica, and background investigation of period.The brain tanned war shirt.Wonderful tough stuff.Human hair locks to boot.A lot of work and another labor of love.
Now are the leggins & breech clout coming next?
Like your pile of boards there too.Looks like you got 6" or so of snow.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline helmet

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2015, 11:04:45 am »
Amazing!

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2015, 11:08:36 am »
Wow!  8)
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2015, 01:16:18 pm »
Very nice!   8) I like to see the construction methods.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2015, 07:55:38 pm »
I'm with Pat. I'm also sitting on 3 brain tanned hides I've been trying to figure out what to do with. Rebecca Parker is working a some BT pants for me and shirt like that would look nice. I'm also starting the Mountain Man Rendevous this year.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Zuma

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2015, 04:32:18 pm »
That is one great accomplishment. Very well done :)
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Peatreg

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2015, 05:01:35 pm »
I posted awhile ago a pair of Lakota style leggings I made Beadman. If you search the site for "Lakota style leggings" you'll find it. They aren't braintanned but they turned out very nice. I'll try and remember to take a picture of this shirt with them and post. I have a pair of brain tanned leggings but they aren't in any sort of tribal style and just plain but they are awesome for crashing through the brush and thorns.  I'd like to and have plans for a braintanned pair decorated with paint and or beadwork but my immediate plans are for a shirt that I'm looking at using during Bowhunting. Smoked dark with some dark green pigment paint about the shoulders/neck area and down the sleeves. Some fringe will be added too. Just waiting for those hides to arrive. Also waiting for a brain tanned hide for a pair of moccs. I've got a pair of beaded and quilled keyhole designs for those. I'll be using brain tanned moose hide 1/4" thick for the soles. Those are my next projects clothing wise. Currently working on a otter quiver and bowcase, plain with only some pigment paint on the drops

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2016, 07:31:03 am »
Peatreg...You bet.Your staying busy then I'd say.Got a lot on your plate.Well thought out projects.There is so much once a person thinks about it.I may have seen the leggins of yours but just plain forgot.Cool about the hunting shirt but the rest of your plans are cool too you know.Keyhole designs are great.I call them hour glass type.
I displayed a whole bunch of my work quite a while ago.Kinda flooded the thread really.Did'nt explain every detail like you are which is nice.I made 2 pair of brain tan leggins.One utility type to work in and one beaded to strut in.Wool ones for froze foot rendezvous camping and combo wool and brain tan.Trade wool breechclouts.
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2016, 08:12:52 pm »
It's good to see someone else get into this like I was and still am.Brain tan.....yea!!!!!
BowEd
Ed

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2016, 01:11:38 am »
Iwould really like toget into brain Tanning.  Excellent job!
Freedom dies one compromise at a time. III%

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2016, 02:37:57 am »
Wow!   8)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2016, 07:03:49 am »
Do you rendezvous too?I used to a lot.Made a lot of my stuff Indian style but after awhile made them towards the mountain man style.It's all a matter of personal taste.Each person can do what they want.Cool you are making replicas.The point at which I started to change was when I made this full length coyote hat that drapes down your back.At rendezvous you cook off a campfire all weekend.Well once I was bent over cooking and the coyote slipped over off my back and dangled over the campfire....lol.The next hat I made was a buffalo cap with ear flaps that was sort of mountie style.....lol.The coyote hat looked very nice but was'nt that practical around camp doing chores.
BowEd
Ed