Author Topic: Cutting footings  (Read 2234 times)

Offline Badger

Cutting footings
« on: December 27, 2015, 01:05:12 pm »
  I copy and pasted this post from Leatherwall, this is by Arrowmker

There is a major problem using a fence to cut your footing slots,. Unless it is dead nuts in the center of the foot you will get a wing that is larger then the other side. That will cause the foot to go on crooked when gluing.
Try this get a piece of 3/4-1" hardwood and mill a "V" trough down the center of it. now make a bandsaw cut down the bottom of the "V". lay that on the saw table and clamp. Lay your footing material in the "V" and cut the foot corned to corner. This will do two things 1. it will guide the foot straight down the foot and 2. I will not matter if the foots vary in size, they will still cut corner to corner., Also place a stop at the end of your jig so you stop cutting at the same place on each foot. Bob

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Cutting footings
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2015, 04:12:50 pm »
I think this is simply brilliant.  Or brilliantly simple.  Not sure which or both.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2015, 08:41:05 pm »
Know what you mean about one wing bending more than the other.I still use the bandsaw slowly cutting them.Seems like there usually will be a couple out of a dozen that are'nt cut dead center.I just do the  2way footings from TBB book.Your jig will solve that problem.Thanks.Now I need to get a table saw......lol.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline basilisk120

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 06:14:10 pm »
I actually though of doing something like that a while back.  But I lack a router to make a straight V groove. 

I guess I solved the problem of miss-centered footings by making them a bit over sized so I can shave one side down more than the other,  But this is less efficient. 

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2016, 07:40:16 pm »
You can make the V groove with the block upside down on the table saw, blade titled to 45, two passes, one from each side using the fence.  You Need adjust the height of the blade so you don't cut the block in two. 

Russ