Author Topic: stone age Europe  (Read 3407 times)

Offline jkyarcher

stone age Europe
« on: December 23, 2015, 10:23:33 pm »
I was reading stuff recently about stone age European arrowheads and saw the pics of the chisel style points and the ones

with micro blades inserted into bone and wood and was just wondering if anyone has actually used or tested these and how effective they can be. ( I know they must've worked just wondering if any "modern cavemen" have tried them out)

just curious..

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: stone age Europe
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2015, 12:03:16 am »
James Parker, a friend and member of PA made an arrow head from an antler tip with 5 micro blades inserted around the antler, similar to the Satellite Broadheads. He shot a doe through the shoulder, killed her and 3 of the micro blades were still attached to the tip. I don't have evidence but I'd bet a chisel point would be pretty devastating too. Probably deals better with bone than a head with a pointed end.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline 89JeepYJ

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2015, 09:22:16 am »
Here's what I believe is referred to as a microlith arrow, part of it of course. I imagine an arrow like that would create a larger wound. Not sure how effective it would be.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2015, 12:17:12 am »

Fred Bear used a chisel type point on his broad heads.
At the Museum, he had in Gainesville, Florida, there was a heavy shoulder bone, of some type of animal, I forget which, with a chisel type bear broad head embedded deeply in it. It was the opposite shoulder from the side the arrow entered.   He said the chisel type point would penetrate bone better, than the pointed type broad heads.

Wayne

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2016, 05:53:18 pm »
  It's got my vote.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2016, 11:02:24 am »
I seen this this weekend and made one up, I plan on running it through a deer / elk this yr (after one comes home) I want to see how it will do. looks devastating. it was fun making. all pieces are just from beating a rock with a rock no knapping.  Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,