Author Topic: old tech versus new  (Read 14014 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: old tech versus new
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2015, 07:37:11 am »

Yep ,close. In most cases not hardly but close. ;)
  Pappy

That makes two of us being honest pappy. I have a 51# Fatal Styk that will out-shoot 97% of the wood/wood composite bows in that 51# range. Accuracy, distance and speed.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bow101

« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2015, 02:14:10 pm »
I have said this over and over, there is osage and then there is OSAGE. Every now and then I make a bow from a piece of wood that is a super performer, don't know why, it just happens, I am sure it is the wood not the builder's skill.

Case in point; my current static, unreal performance. I haven't chronoed it but can tell from shooting alongside a variety of other bows that it is special.

Interesting;  exactly what is considered Static.?   last 6"-8" of the tips non bendy...?

Thanks.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline bubby

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2015, 02:25:59 pm »
I assume badger is refering to a static recurve
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline PatM

« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2015, 03:35:26 pm »
 Static is just the non bending portion, whatever length that might be.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2015, 07:46:38 pm »

Offline Badger

« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2015, 08:59:37 pm »
  For comparison the world record for a modern r/d longbow shooting a 550 grain broadhead is 233 yards, the records for a primitive r/d longbow shooting a 500 grain broadhead is 231 yards. The modern was using a skinny fast flight type string while I was using a much thicker linen string on my longbow. The difference in strings would more than compensate for the slightly lower weight of the primitive broadhead arrow.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2015, 06:18:25 am »
Thanks for the input,so the margin seems quite small.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2015, 08:42:00 am »
No, its big IMO. Day in and day out glass will out shoot wood. If you look at Steve's work, yes it seems close with that ONE bow. But, Steve cant be as consistent as the glass guys can from bow to bow. So Steve builds 100 bows a year looking for the next golden ticket :) If you build a glass bow and love how it shoots, you can replicate that bow right down to the thousandths and there will be immeasurable differences. Steve might have to play around with 100 osage staves to find another to perform as good as his record bow did. And he probably will, he is good.

Correct me where I'm wrong Steve, please.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2015, 09:00:43 am »
It would be more correct to say that the margin can be quite small

Many years ago I posted a recurve along its with chrono results.  A guy posted scoffing at the results, it turned out that he was well known in the custom glass bow world and made some of the fastest recurves.  I suggested a trade.  He tested my bow when he got it and it turned out that it was faster.  Steve, not Steve Gardner, is now a member here and has abandoned glass bows

The right design and proper execution is the key
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline PatM

« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2015, 09:02:51 am »
You have to compare the same designs.

Offline Badger

« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2015, 09:16:41 am »
 Pat, Marks recurves have tested right up there with some of the fastest modern recurves built. In very recent years carbon fiber has given the recurves a new little boost but only talking a few fps.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2015, 09:33:25 am »
For what it is worth a friend of mine Gary Hutchinson[finish carpenter by trade] but a devoted articulate bow maker of FG bows and some self bows for over 40 years has adopted the stiffer lever type action to his FG bows.He made a composite levered type bow[sinew,horn & osage] to hold around 5" of reflex and concluded with his trigger release shooting machine on a saw horse he made shot just as fast or faster than his FG bows.These were same designs tested against each other.Seems like if the working part of the limbs can be smaller but withstand the stress the bows got faster.Hard to do with natural materials but executed right like said once in a while it does happen.Like said too FG has no problem duplicating it consistently.So like designs on FG and natural material bows do benefit both as far as speed goes.Makes total sense to me.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline PatM

« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2015, 09:46:00 am »
I just meant that many people compare a straight selfbow to a R/D or recurve glass bow.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2015, 10:03:31 am »
Yes pat I was thinking of same design examples.it was more of material question.i think modern material are superior but greatly superior i'm not sure?a few fps or yards would suggest a small margin to me.that being said there are still loads of variables.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline PatM

« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2015, 10:37:31 am »
If you read speed reports of the latest new modern bow you will tend to see the potential speed dumbed down considerably by the time the owner gets the bow shooting like they want it to.