Author Topic: Flemish twist jig measurements  (Read 6065 times)

Offline DanD

Flemish twist jig measurements
« on: December 18, 2015, 11:42:37 pm »
I want to start making my own bow strings and was wondering if any of you bowyers out there could give me the measurements or a patern for Flemish twist jig, most of my strings will be 54-64".

Thanks,

Dan
Some things in life change but my love for archery never changes

Offline Badger

Re: Flemish twist jig measurements
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2015, 11:56:16 pm »
Ed, there are plenty of flemish twist jig plans on the internet. Just type in plans for flemish jig. Some of them are for bow length and some for actual string length so It might take you a couple of strings to get the length nailed down.

Offline DanD

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2015, 12:48:31 am »
Thanks Badger, don't why I didn't think to look on google but there it WAS. Got my answer!!!
Some things in life change but my love for archery never changes

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2015, 01:20:23 am »
Here is one I use. I've mad lots of strings with this one to. Just measure knock to knock and set your pin on that measurement. By the time you get your string twisted up correctly it should be right at the perfect length.
Patrick

Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline KS51

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2015, 09:46:49 pm »

It's not a pattern, but I laid a ruler along it.  This is a string jig I made that fits in my gear box.  The dimensions on the pins are string length, not AMO.

By the way, laying out a string jig is fairly straight forward.  Assuming an extra 5 inches at either end for the loops, then for a 64" string would need an overall length of 74".  On pins spaced 4" apart, the distance to the end pin from the first strand pin would be approximately 35" and each 1" pin spacing reduces the length by 2".  Then "fold" the pattern as needed to fit the board.  My board folds the pattern twice.

Ken

Offline bubby

failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹