Author Topic: Tricky tiller  (Read 7623 times)

Offline H Rhodes

Re: Tricky tiller
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2015, 12:33:21 pm »
Yep.  Unbraced profile will tell you if an area is working more than it should.  Set is the best indicator.  You wouldn't be wrong to tiller it on out just like your going.  The limbs may be working correctly.  For character bows I have to go by how it feels in the hand.  I don't think anyone is wrong in the above posts - it is just two different schools of thought on tillering.  You can iron out every imperfection with enough time, heat, clamping, and correcting, till it looks like a store bought fiberglass bow or you can let the stave tell you what kind of bow it can be without all that.... It's your bow and you know what you see in your mind's eye. 
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2015, 12:34:24 pm »
Just slide it down the limb and watch the dial. I don't concern myself with the actual thickness or the numbers on the dial, I just watch that the dial ONLY turns counterclockwise as the limb tapers down, and that it does so gradually.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline Badger

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2015, 12:43:57 pm »
  I like that little tool, especially for the laminated board bows.

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2015, 12:49:33 pm »
"Disagree all ya want weather that's a hinge, the fact is that is about the only spot where the limb is working plain and simple"

Well I have to disagree, respectfully, because I see what it's doing. I don't think the inner limb is hinging, and I don't think it's the only spot the limb is working, because the whole limb changed shape from one picture to the next.... not a lot, but it isn't drawn very far yet either.

Don't take my word for it, get out a blank piece of paper, trace it, and see for yourself.

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2015, 12:54:16 pm »
Badger, yeah, me too. You can't take it too 'literally' as it travels over a stave's little knots and other irregularities, but it still gives you a good idea of what's going on overall.

Offline bubby

« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2015, 02:56:01 pm »
This bow isn't really a character bow from the pics he posted it has one spot, it is really a pretty straight forward stave, I don't know but one thing, read the responses and go with the answer you want its your bow
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Ryan C

« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2015, 03:29:52 pm »
Thanks for the replies everybody. I'll mess with it when I get home. Maybe I'll try the tool dances woth squirrels posted.

« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2015, 12:22:30 pm »
Here's one for gauging bend. It can be of help on tricky staves such as yours, Ryan... to verify if we're seeing what we think we're seeing... or not seeing. This one is aluminum, but it could just as easily be made from a chunk of scrap wood. It can be used to compare the amount of bend in an area relative to how it sits at brace, how it acts at lesser or greater length of draw... or used to compare different areas of a limb, one limb to the other, etc.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2015, 12:45:08 pm »
DWS.....That's what I use for spining arrows.Got the how to from a book.Good accurate spiner too.Metal workers use them to measure inside circumference.Can't think of the name of them right now.Really using your eye on the bending can show you what it needs.
I've made the bows too like H Rhodes is talking about.I'm not going to comment any more because I don't have that bow in front of me.He said it's thicker at the so called hinge.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2015, 02:42:26 pm »
if you have a bow that is thicker at the so called hinge,, then the wood around that is having to do more work,, and you are likely to really make a hinge,, really easy to do when you have a stiff spot that is reflexed,, if you take off too much wood( make it thinner than the wood around it to even the bend to your eye,) it will over stress the reflexed part of the bow,,

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2015, 03:48:10 pm »
Wow DWS you've got some nice tools.....but all I ever use is a "eye ball".... :) ;)
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Ryan C

« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2015, 04:18:38 pm »
Got the first limb heated into reflex. Got a bunch of checks on the limb but thats happened with all Osage I've heated.

« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2015, 04:41:35 pm »
Ryan, I would have loved to have been there to watch you because I've heard others say the same thing and it baffles me. I've never had a single limb check as I was heat correcting it. Not one. I wonder what we're doing differently.

« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2015, 04:42:31 pm »
I shouldn't have said that... I probably just jinxed myself  :o

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2015, 04:45:42 pm »
it probably has to do with the humidity you are working in,,
or how dry the wood is to start with,,
or both,, for example if you are working outside and it is humid,, then you bring what you are workin  on inside and it is winter and dry because of the heat on inside,, you gonna get a check :)