Author Topic: Tricky tiller  (Read 7622 times)

Offline Ryan C

Tricky tiller
« on: December 18, 2015, 07:38:04 pm »

Its hard to tell if my tiller is good because of the kink on the limb. Its pulling 40 @20 right now. What do you guys think?

Offline Danzn Bar

Re: Tricky tiller
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2015, 07:53:30 pm »
Ryan,
Please take my comments with a grain of salt......I'm not too good at giving advice.......but I think your right limb is very stiff mid limb and out.  Do you have a caul and a heat gun to take that kink out?
DBar...
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2015, 08:00:20 pm »
The right limb is hinging right at the edge of that white cabinet, like dbar said scrape from there out till you get a even bend going and don't pull it that far till the tiller is straightened out get a six inch straight stick to check the bend
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Ryan C

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2015, 09:17:19 pm »
I didn't think it was a hinge just that kink is there. Its plenty thick in that area.

Offline JonW

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2015, 09:30:54 pm »
As close as that kink is to the fade just work on the limb past the kink. No need to straighten it out IMO. Work the limbs into the fades and handle last and you will be fine.

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2015, 02:21:31 am »
Ryan, I'd take that kink out. Heat gun 5-10 min would do the trick.
You could leave it as it, and it would be fine, just my 2 cents.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2015, 04:37:13 am »
I'm with Bub - - Bob.
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline hunterbob

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2015, 07:50:09 am »
I would also heat some reflex in also.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2015, 08:03:00 am »
Yes Ryan wizardgoat is right.Even up those limbs by taking the kink out.Just my two cents too,but know I'm right....lol.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2015, 09:25:52 am »
Two ways to go and two schools of thought.  I would go with the caul and heat gun like Bill suggested - it makes the tillering easier.  Another way is to just make a bow out of it - keep the limbs bending evenly, tiller it on out and not worry that it doesn't look like picture perfect tiller.  A kinky stave isn't going to look like everyone's idea of a perfect bending limb, but if it shoots good, feels good in the hand, and takes little set, then it is a good bow.  I have some funny looking sticks that are real good performers.  All that babbling aside, I would make my tillering simpler and heat all the rollercoasters out of it that I could. 
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2015, 09:56:24 am »
That is a hinge on the right. Your bow has already taken set you will find later. That kink is all that is allowing your tip to get down that low right now. Put a bold pencil line 4" past that kink and don't touch it until the rest of that limb catches up.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2015, 12:22:37 pm »
Ryan, I disagree with these guys. I don't want to make a concrete judgement without seeing a full length picture of the side view of the bow unstrung, but I don't know how folks can call a natural kink, hump, small area of deflex, or whatever we choose to call it, a hinge... because it's not.

Besides the natural hump near the handle, another thing that is trying to deceive us and make us believe there IS a hinge is that after the hump, for a large portion of the limb, it's naturally reflexed(unstrung)... so, relative to the hump,(and the other limb) it will appear stiffer throughout the whole process, like it's not flexing enough, when in fact it IS. In other words, it may 'appear' stiff, but not be 'acting' stiff.

When we judge a limb of character, we need to compare it in whole and in part, relative to its unstrung profile... not to other bows, not to the other limb, and not to the perfectly arcing limb in our mind's eye.

Check, double, and triple check that your thickness taper is gradual and accurate... and you probably won't get into too much trouble.

It can also help to take a picture of the suspect limb unstrung, braced, and partially drawn, and lay them over top of, or near to, one another on your computer. Or actually trace the limb on butcher's paper and hang it behind the bow for reference.

It's hard to tell in pictures, it would be better to see it in person, but I wouldn't be surprised if that limb on the right is working just the way I'd want it to. I held a blank piece of paper over that limb in the first picture and traced it with a pencil, then held the tracing over the same limb in the second picture, and it shows the whole limb is flexing more in the second picture than the first. Like I said, hard to tell from here, but from what I can make out, I think you're doing pretty good so far.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2015, 12:29:48 pm »
Here's a simple little tool I made for a quick check of the limb taper.

Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline bubby

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2015, 12:31:38 pm »
Disagree all ya want weather that's a hinge, the fact is that is about the only spot where the limb is working plain and simple
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline DC

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2015, 12:32:16 pm »
I see my project for the morning. Thanks DWS