Author Topic: Re-hydrating Dry Lumber  (Read 7952 times)

Offline VicNova

Re-hydrating Dry Lumber
« on: December 16, 2015, 11:14:58 pm »
I just purchased some Ash lumber from the place I have always bought my lumber for bow building. In the past, the ash I have used from this source has always cracked or had crystals on the belly despite a proper tiller. This always mistified me and I had given up on ash as a good board lumber for making bows.

After gaining more experience, I thought to check the moisture content. This ash lumber comes in at 5-6% moisture content, the cause of my troubles. This is really odd because all the maple and hickory lumber I buy from this source has good moisture content of 9-10% and has always made great bows for me.

So the question is: What is the best way for me to re-hydrate this lumber. I would like the quickest method possible.

Please don't say "just let it balance to your environments moisture level naturally". The place I buy it from is in the same environment as me. I think it would've done that by now since it had been sitting at the store for quite some time.

Thanks
Ypsilanti,  Michigan

Offline Josh B

Re: Re-hydrating Dry Lumber
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2015, 11:40:14 pm »
Sorry to say it, but if that's what the moisture content is and the wood has been stored there that's the moisture level it's going to return to.   You can store it in your bathroom next to the shower until its dripping wet.  When you remove it from the bathroom it will start dropping moisture until it's right back where it is.  Josh

Offline VicNova

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2015, 11:42:18 pm »
Any idea why the wood would be pushing so much moisture out?  :o
Ypsilanti,  Michigan

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2015, 11:42:43 pm »
As far as I know, ash doesn't have the best compression strength, and needs to be designed accordingly. We'd need to see these bows with frets to determine what happened with them.
Compression weak woods will always show you their weak spots.
Wood loses and gains moisture very easily. I weigh my bow blanks, and sometimes they gain weight if it's been raining a lot

Offline VicNova

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2015, 11:50:16 pm »
Well those ash bows with frets are long gone.  :P

It's just so odd that the ash pushed out all that moisture. All my hickory, red oak, and maple lumber never have such problems with losing or gaining excessive moisture.

I gave the wood a shower before I glued a handle on. Once I scraped it down to floor tilling  thickness moisture was at 5-6% again (didn't go deep) . So I'm giving it another hot shower. I guess I'll find out.

Ypsilanti,  Michigan

Offline Josh B

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2015, 11:59:26 pm »
Every piece of wood reaches it's natural equilibrium.  Its inevitable.  It will take a week in the bathroom to gain moisture throughout the wood.  However that effort would be futile since it will dry right out in a few days and probably have some nice drying checks as well.  Overly dry wood usually causes tension failure not compression failure.  If your having problems with chrysaling, you need to increase your dimensions and make sure you tiller it properly.  Also ash responds very well to belly tempering.  Josh

Offline VicNova

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2015, 12:03:45 am »
Well, those chrysaling bows were done years ago and my tillering skills weren't as good as they are now. Maybe it was just me.

I guess I'll find out soon. I really hope I didn't just buy $60 worth of fire wood.  ;D
Ypsilanti,  Michigan

Offline willie

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2015, 01:38:52 am »
just curious as to how you are measuring the MC?

Also, some wood is dried more than others. what can your supplier tell you about the drying spec on that ash?

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2015, 01:56:20 am »
I like 6-7 on osage. Don't build from ash though. I think less moisture would help with frets more than hurt. All you gurus correct me if I am wrong. These are my thoughts. Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2015, 05:40:44 am »
Just a thought I have been kicking around a idea about Trapping the back on a hickory bow to balance compression/tension  , might work out on board ash, never tried it just a thought 
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2015, 08:47:31 am »
I've never made an ash bow that didn't fret. That's why I rarely use it.
 Wood is hygroscopic, meaning that it takes on and releases moisture to the atmosphere. It will hit equilibrium after a period of time, depending on the wood.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2015, 10:24:17 am »
Frets aren't from too dry wood. They are from poor design, poor tiller, or VERY wet wood. No other reasons bow wood frets.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2015, 11:08:43 am »
I'd add belly pin knots to that list Pearlie!

Offline Badger

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2015, 12:12:09 pm »
  Ash is probably the most inconsistent wood I have ever worked with. I have heard there are a lot of varieties all sold as just plain ash. If I can find pretty dense stuff about like hickory I will sometimes use it.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2015, 12:13:07 pm »
Steve I bet the bad stuff is black ash or green ash. I think white ash (formerly known as up here) is fairly consistent.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.