Author Topic: Mold under skins  (Read 5785 times)

Offline Sasquatch

Mold under skins
« on: December 16, 2015, 09:27:18 am »
So why would I be getting mold spots under the skins?  I used TB2.  Is there any way to get skins off without waisting them?  Skins had been air dried and then frozen. 

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Mold under skins
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2015, 09:42:42 am »
Not sure.Too much membrane under there or what.I usually don't freeze them after drying.Might be it is more character to your bow now because I don't think there is a way of removing those skins without wrecking them short of soaking the heck out of it.Anyway sorry but you might have to live with it.Like those copperheads though.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline half eye

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2015, 09:47:50 am »
Big foot,
      I have used TBII on all of my skin applications and never saw that before. Just a thought (not sure if it is your case) those spots might be a very small air bubble that let the mold get started. It would not take much air given the wet raw skins. If that is the case (or not) you could try to use a diluted bleach mix and carefully apply with a syringe....might take a few applications  but will definately kill the mold. Unless the bow is no good, my advice would be to try and save the by treating the issue.
     When I apply skins I first soak in warm water, then use a towel to "pat" the excess water off. Then I spread a thin layer of TB II on the bow back AND skin with my finger (so there are no gaps, bubbles or "fish eyes" then apply the skin. Once it's on I use my fingers to smooth and work the two together....this also helps me get an even stretch and align the pattern. You will probably have too much glue (squeeze out ) but clean that with a damp rag....then set it aside. Like I said I never have had any issues with mold.

Dont know if this is the problem but might be a way to save the bow "as is" without ruining the skin or bow.
rich

Offline Sasquatch

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2015, 10:46:11 am »
half eye, thanks for the detailed response I think I will V's in skin peal back and treat mold then glue back down.  I  did use a lot of glue but might not have squeezed the excess all out. Thanks guys.

Offline PatM

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2015, 10:58:57 am »
How long after you applied the skin did they form?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2015, 11:14:43 am »
A syringe, needle and ammonia will kill it.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2015, 12:07:50 pm »
I have never seen that,, I am guessing that it had to be some place with high humidity ,,???,,, maybe it had something to do with the finish on the bow,, hmmm,,,,
the ammonia sounds like a good idea
then touch up the spots with paint,,
then refinish,,, you are good to go
dont cut the skins,, I think it will be to hard to get the back

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2015, 12:39:15 pm »
How much moisture was still in the wood? Did you clean the skin before gluing it down? 
 TB glue will add moisture before it cures and the skin will prevent or at least slow the moisture release.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PatM

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2015, 12:49:21 pm »
The spores that cause it must have been present when you glued things up. I've seen people from humid southern climates show sinew backings with those spots showing through the dried sinew.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2015, 01:04:12 pm »
I have had sinew show those spots, using hide glue.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Sasquatch

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2015, 01:25:55 pm »
Thanks guys ill use the syringe with ammonia like PD said.  They formed within 24 hrs of warping skins.  They also showed anywhere the glue was thicker. thanks guys i think i got what i need now. Great ideas! I wonder if the color will go back to normal?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2015, 01:29:12 pm »
Did you size the back first? That helps immensely.

Offline Sasquatch

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2015, 01:30:32 pm »
How much moisture was still in the wood? Did you clean the skin before gluing it down? 
 TB glue will add moisture before it cures and the skin will prevent or at least slow the moisture release.
What do you mean clean skins.  They were scraped and dried and then soaked before applying.  Could there be spores in the glue? Wood was real dry.  But i do live in south.

Offline Sasquatch

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2015, 01:32:27 pm »
Did you size the back first? That helps immensely.
yes I applied the glue and let it soak in first. If thats what you mean by "size"  I think thats what it meant.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2015, 01:34:36 pm »
Yup. Smear glue on the night before so it dries hard and smooth. Then add more glue and a skin the next day.