Author Topic: Some Leatherworking  (Read 5577 times)

Offline Ranasp

Some Leatherworking
« on: December 12, 2015, 01:34:56 am »
I've made a few things out of leather, started off with an arm guard and tabs, took a jab at making a quiver, and now I'm working on some late medieval/16th century bags/wallets. 

First up is a rolled wallet from the 9th century.  I used my walnut dye for the soft veg tanned exterior and pre-dyed pig suede for the interior.  I like how it turned out, but will make the next one slightly larger so it can fit cards in the slots side-to-side.   

Second piece I just finished tonight.  Got a little braver and used up some of my Horween leather to make a girdle bag with a suspended belt loop.  The sides and lace are made with pig suede that I cut to size.  Had to splice the lacing on the sides even though they're not that big because the hide I have wasn't very long.  Next time I think I'll made the lacing out of the Horween, it's less likely to fuzz up as I draw it through the holes like the suede did. 

Offline chamookman

Re: Some Leatherworking
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2015, 03:46:26 am »
I like - nice ! bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2015, 05:03:55 am »
Nice, I particularly like the girdle pouch V cool.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2015, 11:10:51 am »
Nice work, Ranasp.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2015, 12:56:40 pm »
Very nice, but there's something funny about putting credit cards in a 9th century wallet. ;)

Ruddy Darter

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2015, 02:19:31 pm »
Nicely made  8) the button lace knotwork is a neat touch.

Ruddy Darter.

Offline Ranasp

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2015, 02:34:22 pm »
Thanks everyone!  Yeah DC, I also think there's something funny about putting plastic into it, but ya work with what ya got.  ;)

Ruddy:  Thanks, I'm really fond of celtic knots and always wanted to translate them into 3-d objects, so this is my nod to that.  The button is stoneware clay that I pinched into shape, it has a subtle metallic sheen to it because I dumped a bunch of iron oxide into the raw clay to see what would happen.

Oh by the way, I learned the lacing by watching this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUA2jx1c1sE  that will show you how sloppy my stuff is compared to the experts. 

Offline half eye

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2015, 04:25:32 pm »
Like Dell, I too like that second bag....It would make an exquisite shooters bag. Your work is very excellent
rich

Offline Zuma

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2015, 11:37:39 pm »
Really nice Ranasp :)
I still have my dad's leather punch and
a lot of leather. All I need is a credit card
and a kick in the butt. :laugh:
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2015, 08:18:20 am »
Nice work Ranasp.I see you maybe have one of those speedy double stitchers on the first bag?I like them too.Handy to have around.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Ranasp

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2015, 11:10:25 am »
Nice work Ranasp.I see you maybe have one of those speedy double stitchers on the first bag?\

Do you mean the saddle stitching running down the sides?  Can't say that was exactly speedy, although I've gotten fairly quick at it compared to when I started.

Thanks for the compliments, Rich!  I'll definitely be making more bags in that style, will have to see about making smaller compartments inside.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2015, 11:14:36 am »
 8)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Spotted Dog

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2015, 12:45:30 pm »
I love doing leather work. Yours look good. I sewed up a shooting bag for my flintlock yesterday.
It's out of bark tanned deer. Got stupid with my scissors and opened up a finger good.
Maybe I'll post pics of bag later.
A three strand cord is not easily broken. Ecc.4:12

Offline Ranasp

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2015, 07:55:16 pm »
Geeze Spotted, don't you know the first rule?  Don't bleed on the artwork! 

Offline Spotted Dog

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2015, 08:05:08 pm »
I didn't. Not even on the carpet. Wife would of killed me. I have the bag in a walnut hull bath.
When it dries I will post pictures. of the bag not finger :o
A three strand cord is not easily broken. Ecc.4:12