Author Topic: carved out arrows /woodland blunts  (Read 3930 times)

riverrat

carved out arrows /woodland blunts
« on: December 10, 2015, 09:52:06 pm »
 recently ive been building some bows, out of elm, hickory, and osage sapwood. just so happens i hate wasting any wood. i have a piece of osage sapwood and a piece of elm i recently split off of logs as i made staves for the bows i made. anyhow figure a couple pieces are worth the effort to whittle down to those old fashioned baseball bat looking blunt arrows of the eastern woodlands. anyhow. im heat bending and whittling down 2. one of elm one of sapwood osage. sure beats putting em in the wood stove. ;) got a couple local squirrels love my newly sprouted green beans in the spring. maybe i can put a end to that.and make a nice pot of soup.in the mean time more to come. Tony  update: this is a osage sapwood hand plained bird blunt arrow.the head has 6 facets to it {flat areas} will be working on the elm one soon. going to fletch these in the woodland 2 feather fletch style eventually.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 12:54:23 am by riverrat »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: carved out arrows /woodland blunts
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2015, 10:06:00 pm »
Both of those should work good, Tony. Looking forward to seeing the finished arrows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

riverrat

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2015, 12:59:32 am »
posted some pics.6 faceted osage sapwood bunt.still need to fletch it but i wanted to post it as it is without fletches first.its a heavy arrow! if i hit a bird or a squirrel....its soup! Tony

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2015, 09:37:40 am »
Nice work on your heads there but I'd be more worried about the spine in the shaft too.Made some out of osage before and the weight was there but with osage being so elastic the spine was too too low for my bows.That elm should be really good.Heck if they shoot well enough you don't need feathers but it can get a little harder finding them....lol.
It'll knock the snot out of those squirrels.....lol.I've put 20 gauge shotgun shells on the front end to preserve the heads a bit.....lol.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Stoker

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2015, 09:43:57 am »
Nice arrows... Should teach them rats a lesson once   >:D
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

riverrat

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2015, 01:49:02 pm »
it seems to spine out for a 45 pound bow there or abouts. my spine tester is pretty primitive lol . i dont have a way to measure grains.i just know its much heavier than my hunting arrows with points. the balance is much more forward as well so im thinking when i shoot it ill have to aim about the same as i would for a 20 yard shot but up close.ill practice with it some .Tony

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2015, 03:52:42 pm »
Nice looking blunts Tony, I've been wanting to make some for grouse hunting. I think I'm going to start with a heavy osier shaft or hazel nut. Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline half eye

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2015, 04:10:45 pm »
Tony,
    Your blunts look good sir, but wanted to say most all that I have seen or touched did not have any fletching at all....I'm putting a pic up (hope you dont mind) of a Chippewa name of Alex Wabbanosa (sp)....anyways very nice arrow sir.
rich

riverrat

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2015, 04:18:48 pm »
thanks Half Eye. that does make sense. most shots i ever made with blunts i made a number of years ago were real close actually. might just leave ta fletch off this one. in a few books ive seen them both ways.Tony

Offline DC

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2015, 04:43:54 pm »
It would sure speed up the making and you might not have to waste hunting time looking for lost arrows.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2015, 09:03:51 am »
A few years ago, Ken75 sent me some black walnut shafts he ran through a dowel maker. One end of these shafts were still the 1/2" square stock. I made a few blunts with these by reducing the 4 corners of the square stock.
 I thought I had pics but can't find tem I'll post them if I do
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

riverrat

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2015, 07:16:42 pm »
like to see them Pat.Tony

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2015, 08:32:12 pm »
Nice arrow. How in the world do you manage to split out an elm shoot?? the last time I split an elm log it took an hour  :o :o :o :-[
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

riverrat

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2015, 01:40:52 pm »
not a shoot, a log. i split out a log for some staves. sometimes i split a stave if its too wide. what i end up with, if its decently straight, is a nice piece of wood to follow grain on and make a arrow shaft from. not to say you cant use a shoot. it would just have to be fat to start with then trimmed down all the while following the grain although its round.planning on making a round limbed bow soon with this same process in mind :) Tony

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2015, 02:28:51 pm »
Here you go, Tony. I finally found it...

Damn Photobucket!!!  >:(