Author Topic: I need some advise and pics  (Read 26883 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: I need some advise and pics
« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2016, 03:13:53 pm »
 Sorry Del. I couldn't help myself.  ::)   I also resemble that remark.  ;D
I have the stakes picked out already. All I have to do is sharpen the ends and push them into the base. I'm working on his battle ax now, have 6 arrow shafts that need points and fletching then his sword and possible bag. I'm also working on a helmet for him but its gonna be hard to get the slick shiny finish for the helmet.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Ruddy Darter

« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2016, 03:19:52 pm »
An idea...maybe a skim of wood filler over the mache and then fine sanded prior to painting would result in a smooth surface? Thick acylic paint also sands smooth when fully dry.(also household gloss paint with wet and dry fine cloth)
(If a silver paint is to be used a dark grey/black undercoat with the silver lightly overcoating results in a realistic metal finish, then a satin shine coat of lacquer, a high gloss lacquer/varnish doesn't work as good.)

Ruddy Darter.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 03:29:20 pm by Ruddy Darter »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2016, 05:15:05 pm »
Thanks for the tips. Once the glue dries on the helmet I'll try to sand it smooth or as smooth as possible. I'm using Elmer's Glue(carpenter's glue) so it should sand OK. I'll try the undercoating of the darker colors(grey/black) with a light silver overcoat.
 Did they all carry the small round shield? It looks like one hanging on the belt of some, I guess for hand to hand combat once the arrows are all shot up.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Ruddy Darter

« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2016, 05:22:39 pm »
I believe the buckler shield was pretty standard kit, and yes it was for close quarter fighting used to smash in to the face area and to obscure vision on and post impact as well as protection from weapon blows, as much an attack weapon as a defence. It was carried on to the waist belt.
I just copied this from wiki-

Hand protection: The primary use of the buckler was to protect the sword hand.
Deflector: The buckler's lightness and curved center made it excellent for deflecting attacking blades.
Blinder: The light blades used in conjunction with the buckler depended on rapid movements, which meant that a single second was an important advantage. The wielder of the buckler could use the buckler to shield his sword-hand's position from view, keeping his opponent from guessing his next strike.
"Metal fist": A buckler could be used to directly attack an opponent by punching with either its flat face or its rim.
Binder: The buckler could be used to bind an opponent's sword hand and weapon as well as their buckler against their body. The buckler was also very useful in grappling, where it allowed an opponent's arms to be easily wrapped up and controlled.

This is a generalization of buckler shields, the bowmen's buckler shield had a round protruding centre boss for face rearranging. :o
Here's a good illustration of them in action I reckon,
Ruddy Darter.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 06:07:27 pm by Ruddy Darter »

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2016, 07:09:43 pm »
CA glue would give you that slick shiny finish

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2016, 10:51:54 pm »
Aaron, just the way the tissue paper and glue lays keeps it from being too smooth. I guess I could use a reverse mold to form with the outside of the helmet was the inside of the mold. That would be as smooth as the mold.
 Thanks RD. I was wondering about the protrusion on the outside of the shield but now I understand it's usefulness. I'll have to make one to add to his kit. I added his hood and shoulder cape and started with the initial painting. It's amazing what you see when the paint is added, some good, some not so.  ;D I also made his bottle ax. It has an osage handle. Not authentic but available.  ;)

Ruddy Darter

« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2016, 03:10:40 am »
Sounding great Pat B  8), ("bottle ax"?,is that for opening up the post-battle Budweiser? ;D)

Ruddy Darter.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 05:23:50 am by Ruddy Darter »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: March 23, 2016, 09:47:30 am »
Here is where I am now. Just added the paint to help define clothing, etc. I'm still making adjustments. Once I'm satisfied with the results I'll start on the accessories. The red cross is just taped on for now. It makes a big difference to the appearance now. The bow needs more work too but that will come later also. Any critiques, criticisms or comments are welcome.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: March 23, 2016, 09:49:04 am »
Photobucket screwed these pics up but you get the idea.

Offline WillS

« Reply #54 on: March 23, 2016, 11:13:26 am »
Looks great :)

Bracer could be shorter I suppose, if you need picky details!  That looks like the Hollywood style long bracer, whereas the "real thing" is very short and just covers the wrist area.  Not sure it makes a real difference however ;)

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #55 on: March 23, 2016, 11:22:34 am »
Very cool Pat

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: March 23, 2016, 12:02:04 pm »
Thanks Will. That's the kind of details I want to know. I do want it as close to accurate as I can get it.
Thanks Aaron

Ruddy Darter

« Reply #57 on: March 23, 2016, 01:29:50 pm »
That's looking ace Pat B, the gambeson looks very realistic. There's no chance of mistaking him as anything other than an English bowman 8).

Ruddy Darter.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 01:37:54 pm by Ruddy Darter »

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #58 on: March 23, 2016, 02:56:46 pm »
So very typical of you to work this hard at getting things right.  I am glad to see it paying off, the figure looks pretty good so far!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline WillS

« Reply #59 on: March 23, 2016, 03:24:05 pm »
Thanks Will. That's the kind of details I want to know. I do want it as close to accurate as I can get it.
Thanks Aaron

In that case.... ;)

The hose should be skin-tight definitely.  That was the style from way back before the Medieval period to right up through the 16thC. An Agincourt/Poitiers/Crecy archer would fit smack in the middle of that, so if you want to be SUPER accurate then skin-tight hose and small ankle boots instead of "boot" boots if that makes sense!

The gambeson does look ace, I agree!