Author Topic: Seasoning osage stave  (Read 4546 times)

Offline Stick Bender

Seasoning osage stave
« on: December 09, 2015, 09:16:01 am »
Hi I have a newbie question about seasoning osage ,I have a new stave that Im taking down to the ring above the one I want & ruffing to ruff bow dimentions so my question is how long at room tempreture will I have to season the ruff bow , any help is apreciated ? It was cut 12-3-15
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 09:19:42 am by Stick Bender »
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Seasoning osage stave
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2015, 09:18:55 am »
How old is the stave now ? I like at least a year from cutting but prefer 2 or 3 years or more. Don't get me wrong you can make a bow from it sooner I just rather not myself. :)
  Pappy

Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2015, 09:21:06 am »
It was cut 12-3-15

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2015, 09:28:56 am »
Be sure to seal the back/sides and ends good or it will likely check and I would give it at least a year if it was me. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2015, 09:39:17 am »
Yep, like pappy said,  one year minimum

Offline BarredOwl

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2015, 10:17:30 am »
I am a very inexperienced new bowyer and have made two bows from Osage so far.  The first from a one year old piece of Osage the second from a fifteen year old stave.  I will definitely be seasoning all my staves at least two years or more from here on out. 

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2015, 10:35:03 am »
Like I said you can make a decent bow from less than year old wood ,and some will argue dry is dry but as for me older is better. If that is all I had to work with that might be another story but in my case it's not so I like to rough them in and give them a year or 2 and most time even more.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2015, 11:52:48 am »
I made a bow a few years ago that was 2 months off the stump. The results were less than optimal. It can be done but you will get a better bow from seasoned wood. At least 1 year and more is better.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2015, 12:02:26 pm »
I have another question for you guys appreciate the help this stave had the bark & sap wood on if I let this one set for a while should I debark & take the sap wood off or can I season as is ?

Offline PatM

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2015, 12:08:45 pm »
Get the bark off to prevent borers setting up shop out of sight. Debarking and glue or some sealer to prevent checking is the safest bet.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2015, 12:23:31 pm »
It has to be stored in a low humidity area. One year in 60-70% humidity isn't dry wood, 5 years in 60-70% humidity still isn't dry wood. 8-10 months in 30-40% is dry wood. The actual date cut and age is irrelevant if its not stored properly.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2015, 12:24:27 pm »
Get the bark off to prevent borers setting up shop out of sight. Debarking and glue or some sealer to prevent checking is the safest bet.

Yep!  I agree.  Also leaving the sapwood on is just that much more wood that has to dry.  Josh

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2015, 12:40:06 pm »
Ok thanks I will debark & take the sap wood off seal it & put this one in the bank I have three osage staves but only one is ready to go but its slight side ways bend & propeler twist been kinda hesetent to work on it at my skill level only made 5 bows but it looks like all roads are leading back to that one.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 12:44:29 pm by Stick Bender »

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2015, 01:03:05 pm »
Also was wondering if those same times apply to hickory or ash ruffed down to bow dimentions ? Im trying to get another bow up & running this winter & dont want to make another board bow. And have those staves cut last month.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2015, 01:30:04 pm »
  O'sage staves is like most bow woods. They season better with time. Like pappy
said you could make osage bow perty quick. Exspecially If you cut it down to bow fourm and finish drying it in a hot box.

This is how I made my first osage bow. From the time I cut split, cut it down,hot box. I was shooting a osage bow in 7,8 months. Then 23 years ago I was like you now. I just could'nt wait.

DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING