Author Topic: thoughts?  (Read 4127 times)

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
thoughts?
« on: December 04, 2015, 10:00:19 am »
Hi All,

this is the stick of hawthorn I want to try next - at the moment it is 54inches long, just over 1" wide and the tips deflect about an inch if I try real hard to move them.  The knot is in the centre of the handle.  The plan is for a sinew short bow between 35 and 45# with perhaps a 26" draw but I'd settle for 24.  Thats as far as I've got in my plans, any design input would be really welcome.  Currently reflex is just over 3", and the stick is a little snaky but nothing excessive and I'm pretty sure will correct with a little heat.

Offline Josh B

Re: thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2015, 10:11:17 am »
That stick looks like a barber pole.  I don't know if sinew will be enough to hold it together with that amount of twist.  At 54" total length, you would be pretty much limited to a bendy handled d-bow for a 26" draw...even with sinew.   Also, only being an inch wide, stability could be an issue.  Especially with the combination of reflex and not being absolutely straight.  Personally I'd get a better stick.  I know that's not the answer your looking for, but it's what my thought on it are.  Josh

blackhawk

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2015, 10:39:51 am »
I wouldn't waste my time sinewing that...but thats just me.

Offline Badger

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2015, 11:41:23 am »
   Maybe a walking stick?

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2015, 02:51:06 pm »
Not to be a downer, but the hawthorn around me grows just like that with a long, easy spiral.  I have made several small diameter staves into bows anyway, and while I HAVE finished some, they just gave me fits.  The grain peels up onto the sides while you are tring to work it, each limb will want to twist a different direction when pulled, stuff like that.

Good on ya if you can pull it off.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2015, 03:00:04 pm »
it does not take much wood to make a 30 ish sinew bow,, the twist will not make the bow fail,, give it a try and see what happens,, I have made bows from worse,, yes as suggested ,, if you have a better piece of wood,, maybe try that ,, but if not,, you have nothing to loose and every attempt at making a bow adds to your knowledge base,, I would try it if it was me just for fun,, :)

riverrat

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2015, 11:34:08 pm »
imho, if thats all you can possibly get your hands on, go for it. but if you could find anything else with less crown, less twist, less side bending, id go for that. sinewing a bow is a lot of work. a lot of work just getting the sinew all ready in bundles of sized strands.then the application of all of them a few times over. if it dont work out anyhow, what a waste. of time, materials, ect.not trying to bring you down or say it cant work. just sayin there has to be something better you could get your hands on.ive always said "all wood bends"....but the other half of that saying goes, "some better than others "  good luck. Tony

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2015, 07:20:25 am »
The twist is mostly confined to the one end, so figured on round sectioned tips with D centre.  Have got some lovely hawthorn seasoning slowly but want to practice on a scrappy piece to see what its characteristics are before I waste one of the good bits

Offline RandyN

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2015, 11:11:45 am »
I am new at making bows compared to some of the folks on here. I just finished a bow made from a Maple sapling that a guy cut in his yard. The bow bow came out pretty nice. It had a few twists, lots of smaller limbs, and a couple tricky spots to work out. I have before and after pictures of it if you want to compare it to the one you posted. I would say go for it and make a bow. Approach the finished bow with no exception as far a weight. You might surprise yourself with what comes out of the wood. Take your time and have fun learning on a not perfect piece of wood.
Randy

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2015, 05:09:24 pm »
 Been away for the weekend but now I look at the stave, the corkscrew appearance is my tool marks off the draw knife, the wood itself is not actually twisted at all. Up and down and side to side, yes. Twisted? Nope  :)

Offline Josh B

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2015, 12:31:14 am »
I wasn't looking at the tool marks when I noticed the twist.  I was looking at the ridges that twist around it.  Judging by those, you have about 360 degrees of twist.  However pictures are deceiving so take that observation with a grain of salt.  Good luck on it and post your progress.  Josh

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2015, 02:21:05 am »
Cheers josh, I'm still very much new to this game, I'll soon find out when I start trimming with the axe I guess

Offline Josh B

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2015, 10:51:11 am »
It's all part of the learning curve.  In most cases I'm the type of guy that has to pee on the electric fence for myself.  Even after I've been told what will happen if I do.  It's not that I don't accept or understand the advice.  It's just something I have to do.  So I can definitely relate to your decision to charge ahead.   The axe will definitely show how the grain runs.  You can minimize the tear outs by always cutting across the twist instead of with it.  Keep that in mind while you're reducing it.  Josh

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2015, 01:39:51 pm »
  Start with the best stave can find.

Me presonally I would'nt wast my time. I sure you can find something that deserves you sweat better than ,somone said walking stick.

Plus hawthorn not a good canidate for a short bow. Even with sinew. Not saying theres not a bow it there it is. Question is do you the right man to let it out.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2015, 03:13:24 pm »
Thanks guys, cleaned up the belly and plotted the surface, laptop packed up so will post photo at a later time. As near as I can tell, no spiral twist but lots of zig-zag. One limb does twist about 30 degrees, though, where it snakes around a knot.
 I find I learn best by setting the hardest challenge I can find to learn the most in the shortest time, failure creates the steepest learning curve. I've got a couple of perfect hazel staves ready to go but am waiting for inspiration. Also several really sweet hawthorn staves that I don't want to ruin. If this project goes pear-shape it's no loss but good practice for when I do want to use the best quality hawthorn   ;)
Crooketarrow, why is hawthorn not a good candidate for a shortbow?